Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sorry, there is no "right" to access paypal. Anyone could sue Paypal. Anyone could sue you, too.
Anyone can sue anyone else for anything if they find a lawyer willing to take the case, or if they want to waste the small claims court's time. The fact is in this case, anyone can legally discriminate on the basis of mobile phone or not. In fact, even the 1964 Civil Rights Act only applies to employers of 15 or more employees. A small business owner with 12 employees may freely discriminate in hiring, even against protected classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,974,541 times
I didn't realize this was the case. I receive lots of requests to supply a cell phone number but I always click on "Not Now" and I've had no interruption of service. A few years ago I kept getting Paypal requests to link my checking account, but I never complied and the requests stopped. I just recently got a smart phone. I hardly ever use it. It seems like going back 30 years in technology to be using a small screen and a virtual keyboard when I have a real computer with a real keyboard and a 20" screen in front of me. If a cell phone is required, the best deal I found was the Galaxie 10-S offered on QVC with tracfone minutes and texts and Gigabytes and a year of service included for $106 including tax and free shipping. I've used tracfone for years as a pay as you go cell service (previously just had dumb flip phones) and my wife has the Galaxie through QVC and it works out to about $8 a month per phone over years of service. If a cell phone is a necessity, this is a cheap way to go for good service (I believe they use AT&T as the carrier).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I have no phone linked to my Gmail account, not that I use it much. BUT I GOT IT LONG AGO WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED OFFERING GMAIL ACCOUNTS and nobody was asking for a cell phone number. They have suggested I give them a cell number but havent demanded it. I suspect you got yours also before they required a cell phone number. As I stated, I looked at every free email out there and only Protonmail.com offered an account with no cell info. There is some Russian email called Yanex that will let you sign up without a cell, but lot comments that couple weeks later they will block your account claiming suspected fraud and then REQUIRE a cell number.

As said many times if its FREE to use then YOU ARE THE PRODUCT. They are selling your info.

I have an old AOL email too. Some different company bought the AOL email and wanted me to relink to AOL with new settings if I wanted to continue to POP3 email from it. Ok I also dont use it much but when I moved to another computer, Thunderbird tried and couldnt connect, had to go to website and they WANTED MY CELL NUMBER. First effort they wouldnt let me go beyond certain point without a confirmation cell number text, but cant remember, chased various links until I then got to a screen where tiny tiny button to say I would do it later. Then Thunderbird could pop3 again. They still dont have my cell number. I will abandon the account before I will give it to them.

Try to sign up for Gmail TODAY! You wont without a cell number to confirm it. There are some sites trying to suggest work around methods. Nope. And they will reject it if you use a number already used to confirm an account.

I have to say if Protonmail ever stops offering free account without without sharing personal info, I will go to a pay email account. Again and again, if its free, YOU ARE THE PRODUCT. And alas you are the product sometimes even if you pay, companies have no morals and will do what is most profitable as long as no government is standing over them with a big stick.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,974,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
You can resist but it will be more and more difficult. The world is increasingly a huge data bank and to participate you need to be in that data bank. All our insurance and medical records are on line, our purchases done with credit or debit cards, our school and employment history, our housing information, our relatives, our political contributions, our pictures and our words. I know a couple of people with no online presence, but for me, retirement would be pretty boring without it.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You can resist but it will be more and more difficult. The world is increasingly a huge data bank and to participate you need to be in that data bank. All our insurance and medical records are on line, our purchases done with credit or debit cards, our school and employment history, our housing information, our relatives, our political contributions, our pictures and our words. I know a couple of people with no online presence, but for me, retirement would be pretty boring without it.
My mother is not online, but then she is 90. . .but does have a cell phone (not smartphone)

I don't know anyone other than the OP without a cell phone. Like many people, I have two, one personal and one for work.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:59 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,443,183 times
I've never given PayPal my cell number, and haven't had a problem.

You've had workarounds, so they aren't discriminating against you.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
No email option so they can send it that way?

Paypal is under no obligation to be universally available. What if you had no email or landline either?

If they want to limit their business because there are very few people without a cell that it's cheaper for them to not have to develop alternate solutions for those people, then that is their prerogative. You can do business in some other way and THEY lose. Does that make you feel better?

Old 04-14-2021, 04:15 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,362,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Uh, you need a cell phone number to get a Google Voice number. I suspect it requires a real one, not a temp number or one used by somebody else to get any kind of Google account.

I went to the link. It says enter either phone number or email. By email it means GMAIL. By phone, it means CELL PHONE And Gmail requires a cell phone number to sign up, so if you have a Gmail account you have already given Google your phone number. Maybe if you have an old Gmail account before they required a cell number you could use that, but betting they would still want a cell number if your Gmail account is old enough not to have one associated to it.
If this is true, then I stand corrected. I have a Google Voice number from 5 years ago. I remember signing up with my home phone, not a cell phone. There was an option to have them call you with a passcode to verify that number, instead of sending a text. That is what I did. If they no longer have that option, then that's too bad.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 PM

3,080 posts, read 2,420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
I changed internet providers only twice in my life. I used to own an older PC, then bought a new laptop 5 years ago. I don't think my IP address ever changed. I have 100% excellent feedback on my ebay over 300 purchases, and also been an excellent Paypal customer through the 16 years. I do change my email address sometimes associated with my Paypal account.
Well, aren't you discriminating against anyone without internet access? What about Mennonites and people who live in the middle of nowhere?

Kidding aside, have you thought about getting an inexpensive cell phone and some pay-as-you-go minutes since you're going to need a cell phone at some point? Personally, I've found this a lot cheaper than a land line.

BTW, I have to have a cell phone for work just to change my password. Employees there (and at a lot of other places) also need a bank account for direct deposit, home internet, reliable transportation and reasonably professional attire. None of this is discrimination in the sense of violating civil rights.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 04-14-2021 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2021, 09:26 PM

6,349 posts, read 4,939,486 times
Yeah, it's discrimination. But it's not illegal discrimination.

I have several accounts that do that but they give me the option of getting the code by email or on my landline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology