Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 02:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,562,766 times

Advertisements

This is cool: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...prize-90962019

I was disappointed that the validation immediately takes us to encrypted messaging, but I suppose that is how people think. Secrets, secrets, spies, and more secrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 06:25 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
''What the work shows is “parts of the universe — even those at great distances from each other — are connected,” said Johns Hopkins physicist N. Peter Armitage. “This is something so unintuitive and something so at odds with how we feel the world ‘should’ be.” ''

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...prize-90962019

It's fascinating. And strange.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:43 AM

3,655 posts, read 1,610,755 times
I didn't know a satellite was able to send entanglement particles. That's amazing.

From another article it said it was Snowden that disclosed in 2013 how the US was spying on the internet that made China look into developing a way to prevent that.

National security for any nation is about being able to keep secrets. With entanglement there is no currently known way to spy on the matching particles. The sending and receiver are communicating without any known active energy occurring between them. Making it impossible to tap into- there's nothing happening between the particles!

That we know of right now. But they eventually find what is happening and find there is a link of some sort, that hasn't been discovered yet.

What I want to know is if nature is doing this somewhere? Is the sun, or stars, sending 'messages' in their particles to distance locations? Maybe even across the galaxy or universe? Would this be a way to communicate instantly between galaxies?

Old 10-15-2022, 08:54 AM

15,877 posts, read 6,580,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
This is cool: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...prize-90962019

I was disappointed that the validation immediately takes us to encrypted messaging, but I suppose that is how people think. Secrets, secrets, spies, and more secrets.
It's important, if not essential, for the economy to keep financial transactions secure. Everything else depends on having financial exchanges be reliable and safe from attack or theft. Hopefully, entanglement will be a key element of that. Without secure exchanges, the economy can collapse and there's no money for doing these types of experiments.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a good explanation for why particles become entangled. Is this something we'll eventually understand? Is every particle constantly entangled, or is it an intermittent behavior?

Old 11-04-2022, 05:12 AM

3,996 posts, read 6,816,753 times
So, is this as way for superluminal communication?

Old 11-04-2022, 06:18 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,438,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Yes. Quantum entanglement appears to defy the universal speed limit. It's why Einstein called it spooky action at a distance.

But in order to put together a superluminal communications system across vast distances, it would be necessary to first entangle two particles, then separate them, and finally transport one of them to a far distant place, such as a Mars colony, while keeping the other local, such as Geneva, Switzerland. But the technology for preserving and reliably manipulating widely separated quantum entangled particles might still need to be worked out.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:05 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,816,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Yes. Quantum entanglement appears to defy the universal speed limit. It's why Einstein called it spooky action at a distance.

But in order to put together a superluminal communications system across vast distances, it would be necessary to first entangle two particles, then separate them, and finally transport one of them to a far distant place, such as a Mars colony, while keeping the other local, such as Geneva, Switzerland. But the technology for preserving and reliably manipulating widely separated quantum entangled particles might still need to be worked out.

I hope you're right, superluminal communication sounds great to me... The only way to allow instant communication between Earth and a future human colony in another star system...

Old 11-05-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I hope you're right, superluminal communication sounds great to me... The only way to allow instant communication between Earth and a future human colony in another star system...
To simplify it extremely, quantum entanglement communications is two cups and a string. The string is as long as it needs to be, but the cup at the other end needs to get to said human colony in another star system.

There's no current technology to get humanity to another star system. Assuming that we did have such technology that could keep a colonizing space ark under constant acceleration at 1G over stellar distances, while keeping the colonists and their domesticated fauna and flora alive, travel to Alpha Centauri would take 5 years from the Earth's viewpoint (probably less from the colonists' viewpoint).

Old 01-29-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Quote:
And....

I'm wrong.

Per the YouTube video below, quantum entanglement can't be used for superluminal (faster-than-light) communications. Right about the 11:30 mark, the narrator points out that QE requires inherent randomness in order to work, so that it's impossible to use it for instantaneous communications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlCvCSefYQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology