Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 09:40 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,209,244 times

Advertisements

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2243247.html Could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 05:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
This is a huge deal!! The US Department of Energy will be making an announcement Tuesday on the fusion energy breakthrough. I didn’t think it would happen in my lifetime. Here’s hoping they can make it practical to use in the next couple decades.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:58 PM

I was reading a bit and some muckety said maybe 5 years.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:05 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Holy...

Finally...

Old 12-13-2022, 05:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This is a huge deal!! The US Department of Energy will be making an announcement Tuesday on the fusion energy breakthrough. I didn’t think it would happen in my lifetime. Here’s hoping they can make it practical to use in the next couple decades.
You must be young. My entire life they have been saying this... and particularly now... is a very good time to start lying about our capabilities.

Remember we won the cold war because Regan convinced the USSR that Star Wars worked.

Old 12-14-2022, 01:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
I was reading a bit and some muckety said maybe 5 years.
It will be decades.

It takes 5+ years to build (just build) a nuclear power plant. And there have been hundreds of those built. It's a well-established entity.

Fusion? There's just been a breakthrough, at the minimal level. It has to be scaled up. all the way to industrial levels. And commercialized. That will be years if not decades in the offing. Then you have designing and constructing an entirely new type of power plant. That's a decade-plus right there. Then there's the ironing out of the inevitable kinks, and beyond that the expansion of the first plants into replacing the current system entirely.

I'd don't think fifty years is particularly pessimistic.

I'm not trying to downplay this development. It's fantastic, the potential is enormous, the implications are profound.

But five years? Twice that isn't even remotely possible.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:42 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
if this can get to market in the future, the retrofit industry will be the next booming job machine.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:25 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It will be decades.

It takes 5+ years to build (just build) a nuclear power plant. And there have been hundreds of those built. It's a well-established entity.

Fusion? There's just been a breakthrough, at the minimal level. It has to be scaled up. all the way to industrial levels. And commercialized. That will be years if not decades in the offing. Then you have designing and constructing an entirely new type of power plant. That's a decade-plus right there. Then there's the ironing out of the inevitable kinks, and beyond that the expansion of the first plants into replacing the current system entirely.

I'm not trying to downplay this development. It's fantastic, the potential is enormous, the implications are profound.

Correct. This is a great breakthrough, but we are still decades away (at least!) from a working fusion reactor. Assuming that does happen, it will take decades more to re-build our infrastructure.

The day may come when the entire world is running on clean, renewable fusion energy, when every home has cheap power, heating, and air conditioning, and air pollution is a thing of the past. But it is unlikely that any of us will live to see that day. Our grandchildren? Maybe.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It will be decades.

No so fast. a fusion situation is far safer than a fission plant. False equivalency. And these guys are jumping on it. https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/n...-b2246755.html

Old 12-18-2022, 05:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Here's a review by Anton Petrov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_A5tEApa0&t=884s
When you include the power needed to activate the lasers used to start the reaction, the efficiency becomes 1% instead of 150%.

I was just listening to a motivational audio by Earl Nightingale. He predicted fusion power within 10 years. While I was unable to find the original date of the audio, Earl died in 1989.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology