Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2023, 11:16 AM

11,484 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any kind of mapping GIS for Mac where I can add points of interest on separate layers by just adding the feature to the map graphically.

All I use today is Google Earth pro.

On Google Earth pro, I add pins for various features. I pin things like parks, tourist destinations, desired hotels, dog walks I enjoy, favorite restaurants, lakes and rivers to visit, stores and shopping locations, high crime areas to avoid, etc. I have been pinning good neighborhoods where I want to buy a house.

All I want is something like Google earth but where I can enter the data on separate layers for clarity. If I want play tourist, I would like to bring up just that layer so I can visually consider them. Then I could bring up the hotel layers for where to stay. Then the layer of all restaurants I input, to see if any happen to be nearby.

Can anybody recommend GIS or mapping software that does this simply and graphically, like a Google Earth but with layers for user input that you can control?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 01:17 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,889 times
Have you looked into ArcGIS Pro or other Esri products?

Old 01-14-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Have you looked into ArcGIS Pro or other Esri products?
I have looked at reviews and youtube videos. They all seem complicated and don't demonstrate how to store and retreive the data or how to use levels.

Does ArcGIS pro do what I listed in my post? Do you use ArcGIS pro?

Old 01-16-2023, 02:59 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,889 times
Part of my team uses ArcGIS Pro and yes it does what you listed. It's a very common feature. However I am not sure if only licensed version allows to perform this workflow. Also am not sure if you are using it for yourself or to create maps and add functionality to it. If you are using it for yourself, then ArcGIS Pro might not be something that will help you here, but you will have to look for some apps using ArcGIS Pro.

If you end up using ArcGIS Pro, there is a layers list on left panel. There are checkboxes which you can check or uncheck and the layer visibility will change based on that. For pins, I don't exactly remember, but you either right click on a layer and there is an option in the drop down or there will be an option on the top menu bar / ribbon in Pro which allows you to drop pins.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:27 PM

OK, thank you. I am just using it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology