Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2023, 03:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 992,760 times

Advertisements

Hi )

I am trying to d/l a playlist from youtube. I have searched, and found a few sites that claim to do this, but every time I try, I only d/l one video. Perhaps I am using the wrong link? Ideas will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 03:37 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
I use 4K downloader. Costs me $19 and worth it. The free version works for most people, but playlist download is limited to 24.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:22 AM

666 posts, read 423,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I use 4K downloader. Costs me $19 and worth it. The free version works for most people, but playlist download is limited to 24.
Paying for something that can be done for free and without artificial restrictions?

OP, use yt-dlp. All you need to do is run:
yt-dlp the_link_to_your_desired_playlist_pasted_here

And hit enter. It will take care of everything. Youtube-dl (yt-dlp) is an extremely powerful tool with many options to refine how and what you download. Don't waste your time with browser plugins, and certainly don't waste your time paying for some proprietary subscription software.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Paying for something that can be done for free and without artificial restrictions?

OP, use yt-dlp. All you need to do is run:
yt-dlp the_link_to_your_desired_playlist_pasted_here

And hit enter. It will take care of everything. Youtube-dl (yt-dlp) is an extremely powerful tool with many options to refine how and what you download.
Thanks.

So, the url, if I have it correct, is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cikS...8RctjHYDwxx_QN

If I do:

or

yt-dlp youtube.com/watch?v=cikS4oh6nag&list=PLqGhVyOFc2J3Lt23F5b8Rctj HYDwxx_QN

-neither works; I get redirected to my search engine of choice, duckduckgo

Is the playlist url incorrect, or am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:57 PM

666 posts, read 423,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thanks.

So, the url, if I have it correct, is:

If I do:

or

yt-dlp youtube.com/watch?v=cikS4oh6nag&list=PLqGhVyOFc2J3Lt23F5b8Rctj HYDwxx_QN

-neither works; I get redirected to my search engine of choice, duckduckgo

Is the playlist url incorrect, or am I missing something?

Thanks again.
yt-dlp is not a website, it is a program. It can be downloaded (for Window$) here.

You run it in terminal (called command prompt in Window$), the usage guide is posted here.

I hope you find this helpful.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:53 AM

Oh, its a d/l, ok, thanks.

So, I did the d/l, and I know how to open/use a cmd prompt, but I simply do not get this.

Looking at the usage guide, my head is literally spinning. I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at, and no idea where to look to find out how to use this.

If I do yt-dlp in the cmd prompt, I get the "not recognized as a command" error.

If I do yt-dlp with the url, I get the same.

Again looking at the usage guide, I see:

yt-dlp [OPTIONS] [--] URL [URL...]

But I don't know what that means.

Do I put something in where is says "options"? What are the dashes for? Do I use the three dots after the URL? Do I use the brackets? Do I use the word 'URL' in AND out of the brackets, or is one of those - of both of those - replaced with the url itself?

I have no clue how to use the usage guide.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:10 PM

Maybe I can help. First you need to change the directory to where yt-dlp was installed. If the program was installed in the Downloads directory/folder, then use the cd command to change the directory.

Initial directory: C:\Users\You>

Use the cd command to change the directory to downloads: C:\Users\You>cd downloads

Now it looks like this:

C:\Users\You\Downloads>

Now enter yt-dlp URL to download:

C:\Users\You\Downloads>yt-dlp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNxPkkcwpo

If you want to download playlists, you need to put quotes around the link:

C:\Users\You\Downloads>yt-dlp "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNxPkkcwpo"

If you want to download certain files in the playlist, use -I. In this example, I want to download 1, 3 and 4:

C:\Users\You\Downloads>yt-dlp -I 1, 3-4 "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNxPkkcwpo"

If you want to download subtitles, use --write-auto-subs. Looks like this:

C:\Users\You\Downloads>yt-dlp -I 1, 3-4 "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gNxPkkcwpo" --write-auto-subs

This should be enough to get you started. Also if you want the highest quality, ffmpeg.exe needs to be installed too. Otherwise, you only get 720P videos.

Last edited by davidt1; 01-26-2023 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-27-2023, 07:06 AM

Thanks.
You are talking about where I installed - i didnt install anything. I simply have yt-dlp.exe in my downloads folder.
So, I dont understand the whole "change the directory to downloads" thing. So I moved the exe into its own folder, C:\Temp2, but when I do what you say in the cmd prompt, I get the following:

Temp2 is not recognized as a command

So, wht exactly do I type here?

If I am looking at:

C:\Users\Jeff

What do I type after that?

Old 01-27-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thanks.
You are talking about where I installed - i didnt install anything. I simply have yt-dlp.exe in my downloads folder.
So, I dont understand the whole "change the directory to downloads" thing. So I moved the exe into its own folder, C:\Temp2, but when I do what you say in the cmd prompt, I get the following:

Temp2 is not recognized as a command

So, wht exactly do I type here?

If I am looking at:

C:\Users\Jeff

What do I type after that?
This might be easier for you. Open the Temp2 folder, type cmd in the address bar, hit enter. This should take you to the Temp2 folder.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This might be easier for you. Open the Temp2 folder, type cmd in the address bar, hit enter. This should take you to the Temp2 folder.
Oh wow - didn't know you could do that - thx.

So, this works a treat - thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology