Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 06:38 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I get it, but do we all have to be experts about a product in order to use it? I own and drive a car, operate a blender, keep food in a refrigerator...but totally illiterate if it comes down to fixing or building my own version of these products. I buy them on faith that they are "generally regarded as safe" (GRAS).
I'm not advocating that everyone become an expert. But at least have adequate literacy to use the tool that is in your hands.

I also don't buy for a minute that somehow Incognito/private mode only preventing write to disk == expert, esoteric knowledge of the ancients that only the upper echelon of tech priests could possibly decode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Use duck duck go to get unbiased results, however to my knowledge they also rely on google. There is an opportunity for competition in this market.
With such a massive advertising budget, they're relying on someone big. I don't trust them any more than Google.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 1,101 times
That is also why I think there can be such a thing as too advanced and optimized.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I've been noticing that google search has really gone to the dogs. Woof! When I do a weather search for my city, it brings up a few different websites, but the Weather Channel is at the top of the list and is repeated over and over again, one after the other. Many times I can't even find what I'm looking for on google search anymore either, it just keeps repeating the same dozen or so websites.

Today I was signed into gmail, something I seldom do unless I'm checking my emails (which is hardly ever because Proton Mail is so much better) and saw something very odd. If I was signed out of google, it showed my current temp was 40 degrees. After signing out of gmail it was 37! Looking at the weekly weather, similar discrepancies showed up every time I signed in and out of google.

I suspect that along w/ optimizing their searches to pull up the companies that pay them the most money, they're also using AI way too much, because that's about all I can think of that would cause this. Or something. Whatever it is, it also IS what it is. Pretty crappy.
Using Google is entirely voluntary. Why are you doing it?

Old 01-03-2024, 04:01 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
For potentially decisive topics,…I will use multiple search engines. This includes Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo. It’s amazing the differences in search results when it’s a potentially decisive topic (social/political). Google has been the most partisan of the search engines I’ve tried.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:36 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Using Google is entirely voluntary. Why are you doing it?
From most people, you're going to get some canned response about "its the best!" "That's what everyone uses!" "It's the default!" without even the slightest tinge of any self reflection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
For potentially decisive topics,…when it’s a potentially decisive topic (social/political).
*Divisive. The word you're looking for is divisive.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:44 PM

166 posts, read 96,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post

This massive misunderstanding of the scope of incognito/private browsing is only a testament to how severely computer illiterate the vast majority of the population is
Apparently, the judge is computer illiterate too and can't understand the Icognito splash screen to the tune of a $5 billion ask??

I get you, never trusted it. I read privacy statements and terms & conditions for fun, even google's. Now having to add separate state privacy policies....

Old 01-04-2024, 09:04 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
From most people, you're going to get some canned response about "its the best!" "That's what everyone uses!" "It's the default!" without even the slightest tinge of any self reflection.

*Divisive. The word you're looking for is divisive.
"This ^^^ appears to be a decisive rejoinder of helpful, yet unsolicited, correction," he says in hopes that it won't turn "divisive."
Yes, "decisive" was a bit glaring in its repetition.

Oh. I don't trust Google or alphabet. Never did. Likely never will.
But, the internet is such a mess, does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology