Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 02:39 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
104 people voted (63 + 22 + 6 + 7 + 3 + 3 = 104).

The total sum of voting "outcomes" was 602 ((63 x5) + (22 x 6) + (6 x 7) + (7 x 8) + (3 x 9) + (3 x 10) = 602).

The average weighted score from all of the votes is approximately 5.79 (601 / 104).

Now someone double check this for me.
This is right, to me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 03:34 PM

8,415 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
104 people voted (63 + 22 + 6 + 7 + 3 + 3 = 104).

The total sum of voting "outcomes" was 602 ((63 x5) + (22 x 6) + (6 x 7) + (7 x 8) + (3 x 9) + (3 x 10) = 602).

The average weighted score from all of the votes is approximately 5.79 (601 / 104).

Now someone double check this for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is right, to me too.
See it now? The rounded number calculated is the same, but the calculation is incorrect.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:17 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The logic of the median in your explanation doesn't even make sense to me unless the number of votes for the highest and the lowest were the same.
Even the number of votes was of no importance, with the existence of bunch other scores, it still seems like a weird and pointless average because it doesn't encompass every value (score) in the question.

I don't know but to me, the median which you used "the mean" for, is the only true average that matters which the questions would typically ask for.
Whether you're looking for the mean, median or mode depends on the circumstances--

For example, there's the joke about the two statisticians who go hunting....They spot a good buck and both shoot-- one guy misses by 2ft to the left...The other guy misses 2 ft to the right. ...They jump up in jubilation, high-fiving each other and hugging and shouting "We got him!"

That's a case where the mean is meaningless.

If you get new rifle and go to the shooting range, and fire 10 shots, grouping 9 of them to the left of the bull's eye, you use the mode (9) as the important number telling you how to adjust your site.

The median may be important when considering Last FrostDate in deciding when to set out your flowers in the spring. You don't really care how many times the last frost occurs on a given date or what the average date is, but you care about the range over which even one frost can occur.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
[quote=guidoLaMoto;66664390]Whether you're looking for the mean, median or mode depends on the circumstances--

For example, there's the joke about the two statisticians who go hunting....They spot a good buck and both shoot-- one guy misses by 2ft to the left...The other guy misses 2 ft to the right. ...They jump up in jubilation, high-fiving each other and hugging and shouting "We got him!"

That's a case where the mean is meaningless.

Ha-hah, you got me! I must be a buck.

Quote:
If you get new rifle and go to the shooting range, and fire 10 shots, grouping 9 of them to the left of the bull's eye, you use the mode (9) as the important number telling you how to adjust your site.
And to do that, you have to first determine your dominant eye, then close the lousy one and adjust the site hoping they didn't sell you a banana rifle.

Quote:
The median may be important when considering Last FrostDate in deciding when to set out your flowers in the spring. You don't really care how many times the last frost occurs on a given date or what the average date is, but you care about the range over which even one frost can occur.
OK, now you have gone too far and gave me a migraine. If I had a rifle, I might have shot myself!

Old Today, 06:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,414,821 times
The original posting asked for the "overall score" and I have no idea what that means. And the person who started the thread hasn't posted to it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology