Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,571,347 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the census?

Is it accurate?
I just heard that they only sample about 11% of the population.
Is that a big enough percent?

Seeing how C-D and C-D posters may be relying on these stats to make life changing decisions....should we spend (even) more money to have more accurate data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 AM

588 posts, read 2,830,726 times
Given the size and scope of counting everyone in the entire country, I think the census is reasonably accurate. There are always some people who will not be able to be contacted, and lots of homeless people are evidently not counted.

This website shows the final response rates for each state in the 2000 U.S. census. As you can see, they are far higher than 11%. Census works attempt to personally contact everyone who did not send in their census form, so that the accuracy can be improved.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM

905 posts, read 2,402,944 times
Meh I don't care much if they count me or not...I don't think I have ever filled out a form though before? Do they send them to like everyone, or just like 18 and older?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,555,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Meh I don't care much if they count me or not...I don't think I have ever filled out a form though before? Do they send them to like everyone, or just like 18 and older?
Uhh to like count everyone, they mail them to like every address.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 AM

905 posts, read 2,402,944 times
*Flicks back blond hair i just combed 999 times*

Why thank you!! I think I'll go carry my little dog around in a purse now, and hope it doesn't crap in it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,471,141 times
I was a census enumerator for the 2000 census.

It's supposed to count every single human in the United States.

However, many people have no desire to be counted and don't return the form. That's when people set out on foot and go door to door collecting information that wasn't returned.

I went to some homes where the people told me flat out to my face they didn't want to participate, and in cases like that the enumerator is supposed to note that on the census form and on occasion do a best guestimate of who you see occupying the space (in certain circumstances - not always).

I wouldn't do that job again - thought of it as my civil duty back in 2000 - I was chased by dogs, doors slammed in face, and yelled at by crazy people paranoid of the "government", among other adventurous events.

Someone else can have that job.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,471,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
They send out one form to the "head of the household".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology