Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 14,035 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Seattle area from Georgia. I am thinking of bringing my '92 GEO, which gets excellent gas mileage instead of my gas hog Explorer.
What do I need to know about emissions, car registration, etc.? I live far enough out of Atlanta that it isn't an issue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,839 times
Yes, emmissions are required out here when vehicle is over 5 years old....here is the info Washington's Vehicle Emission Check Program

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
This link may also be useful:

WA State Licensing: Moving to WA

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
It depends on what zip code you will be living in also, just the urban areas. I do not have to do this. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/pdfs/Zip_codes07.pdf

Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Basically, you need to take the car to get inspected at the police station. I don't know if all of them do it. I think they basically just look to make sure the car isn't stolen. It isn't like a Texas state inspection. Then you take that info to the registration office and pay money to get the plates. I would call the registration office to see if you need to get an emissions test before getting plates. The emissions test is quick and easy as they are state run unlike some states where it is privately run and a gimmick to squeeze more money from people.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM

91 posts, read 372,492 times
We did not need any police inspection or emission testing....just brought the titles for all our cars and paid the transfer fee of about $75.00 per car...we are in Kitsap County...be prepared to go to two different places for your driver license and car registration....fairly simple-very friendly people at both places

Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Basically, you need to take the car to get inspected at the police station.
Living in western Washington with legally-owned and -maintained cars for over 20 years -- this is the FIRST I've heard of such a "police station inspection" of a newly-acquired auto!!

Where did you get your car?? -- an IRS auction or other governmental auction? What was the purpose of the inspection? What was the result of the inspection? Was the inspector a police officer? Was the inspection a quick once-over, or did it take hours or days? Did the inspector provide you with a certificate of something? This is strange and fascinating and I've never heard of anyone, before you, being required to do this!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Police station? haha, that is so wrong.

Look at the zip code list above, to see if you need an emissions test, they cost $15.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Living in western Washington with legally-owned and -maintained cars for over 20 years -- this is the FIRST I've heard of such a "police station inspection" of a newly-acquired auto!!

Where did you get your car?? -- an IRS auction or other governmental auction? What was the purpose of the inspection? What was the result of the inspection? Was the inspector a police officer? Was the inspection a quick once-over, or did it take hours or days? Did the inspector provide you with a certificate of something? This is strange and fascinating and I've never heard of anyone, before you, being required to do this!
Had to do it when I moved to Idaho. Then had to do it when I moved to Washington with the same vehicle. Also had to do it when I bought a used vehicle in Idaho and brought it to Washington.

Did NOT have to do it when I bought a new vehicle in Idaho and brought it into Washington.

All they do is check the VIN numbers and probably run them through the law enforcement syste.

All this was 25 years ago....not sure if it is still done, but I would not be surprised.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

Not a newly aquired car. The cars moved with us from CA to WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area