Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 22,659 times

Advertisements

What are some of the must-visit places to hit in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 06:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It depends on what you're interested in. I was just messaging someone who wants to visit Seattle soon, and they were interested in parks, so I told them about this big Japanese garden/park in the south end of the city.

https://kubotagarden.org/index.html Great for experiencing fall colors.

There's the Seattle Art Museum, which has a good collection of Native art from the region, among other collections. There's the Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, which also has a big plant conservatory. And Broadway in Cap. Hill is nice to walk and explore the shops, coffee shops, and ice creameries during the day. There's the UW, which has many beautiful corners of gardens, hidden glades, and walking paths, and also has the Burke Museum, which is an anthropology museum.

For people visiting during the spring or fall salmon runs, the Ballard Locks are a must-see, to view the massive salmon run, a real spectacle of nature. And there's a botanical garden there, too.

If you're travelling in late May, there's the annual Folklife Festival, showcasing music and dance groups from around the world all weekend.

The Seattle aquarium on the downtown waterfront takes you under Puget Sound to view all the marine critters in their natural environment. That's pretty much a must-see.

Old 09-20-2023, 07:17 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah232094 View Post
What are some of the must-visit places to hit in Seattle?
Hi Sarah, great suggestions above by Ruth as usual. What kind of things do you like to do? Although touristy, a trip to the top of the Space Needle will give you a great view of the area. Mopop and MOHAI are cool museums in Seattle. Hard to beat sunset at Golden Gardens Beach in NW Seattle. National Nordic Museum and Wing Luke Museum are both excellent, as is the underrated Frye Art Museum. Our in-city urban parks are fantastic, IMO Seward Park and Discovery Park are standouts. Hop on a ferry to Bainbridge Island and back, feel that vibe. Have a fun trip!

Old 09-20-2023, 07:39 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
I visited last November for the first time. No car, I relied solely on public transportation and stayed in the downtown area.

Chinatown
Uwajimaya Asian grocery store. I went on my last day and bought a bunch of goodies I can't get at home.
Pike Place market, only on Sat/Sun if you want to see all the vendors. It's pretty quiet during weekdays.
The main art museum downtown was awesome! I spent a full 4-5 hours there. The downtown library is also huge and fun to travel the multiple floors.
Space Needle, of course. I was petrified of the glass floor up there, but nobody else seemed to mind.
You can also take a guided tour up to the top of the tallest building in Seattle. I wanted to do it, but the hours were limited and didn't work with my schedule.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Typical "touristy" stuff:

Downtown: Pike Place Market*, Seattle Art Museum+, The Monorail#, Seattle Public Library, Skyview Observatory (Columbia Tower)+, Link Light Rail#

Seattle Center: Space Needle^+, Chihuly Garden and Glass^+, Museum of Popular Culture (MoPOP)^+, Pacific Science Center/IMAX, Kerry Park (Viewpoint)*

Waterfront: Seattle Aquarium^+, Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour^+, Ye Olde Curiosity Shop*, Washington State Ferries at Colman Dock (Bainbridge Island and Bremerton), King County Water Taxis (West Seattle and Vashon Island)#, Waterfront Park*, Olympic Sculpture Park*.

Pioneer Square: Underground Tour, Klondike Gold Rush Historical Park (Museum)*, Smith Tower Observatory, Waterfall Garden Park*

International District/Chinatown: Uwajimaya (Asian Super Market)*, Hing Hay Park*, Wing Luke Museum

South Lake Union: Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), Center for Wooden Boats*, Amazon Spheres ("Jeff's Balls")*, South Lake Union Streetcar#

Capitol Hill/First Hill: Seattle Asian Art Museum (Volunteer Park), Frye Art Museum*, First Hill Streetcar#

University District/Montlake: The Ave (University Way)*, UW Campus*, Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, Shiga's*, Washington Park Arboretum*

Wallingford/Fremont: Woodland Park Zoo (Phinney Ridge/Upper Fremont)^, Green Lake (Wallingford)*, Archie McPhee (Wallingford)*, Gas Works Park (Wallingford/Northlake)*, Lenin Statue (Fremont)*, Fremont Troll*

Ballard/Magnolia: Chittenden (Ballard) Locks*, National Nordic Museum (Ballard), Ballard Historical District (Ballard Avenue), Shilshole Bay Marina*, Golden Gardens Park/Beach*, Fishermen's Terminal (Interbay/Magnolia)*, Discovery Park (Magnolia)*

SoDo/West Seattle/Rainier Valley: Museum of Flight (SoDo/Boeing Field)+, Alki Beach*, Kubota Gardens

(Rainier Valley)*, Seward Park (Columbia City)*

*=free. ^=CityPass (save up to 47%), +=C3/See Any Three (save up to 34%), #=Regional All Day Pass ($8 + $3 for an Orca Card, covers fares up to $3.50)

https://www.citypass.com/seattle-comparison

https://support.myorca.com/hc/en-us/...e-Seattle-area

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-21-2023 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 04:11 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on what you're interested in. I was just messaging someone who wants to visit Seattle soon, and they were interested in parks, so I told them about this big Japanese garden/park in the south end of the city.

kubotagarden.org/index.html Great for experiencing fall colors.

There's the Seattle Art Museum, which has a good collection of Native art from the region, among other collections. There's the Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, which also has a big plant conservatory. And Broadway in Cap. Hill is nice to walk and explore the shops, coffee shops, and ice creameries during the day. There's the UW, which has many beautiful corners of gardens, hidden glades, and walking paths, and also has the Burke Museum, which is an anthropology museum.

For people visiting during the spring or fall salmon runs, the Ballard Locks are a must-see, to view the massive salmon run, a real spectacle of nature. And there's a botanical garden there, too.

If you're travelling in late May, there's the annual Folklife Festival, showcasing music and dance groups from around the world all weekend.

The Seattle aquarium on the downtown waterfront takes you under Puget Sound to view all the marine critters in their natural environment. That's pretty much a must-see.
I think the Ballard Locks are worth a look any time of the year... it's fun to watch the array of ships and boats passing through... from sailboats to tugs and barges to big cargo ships. Also, there's a tour boat (Argosy Cruises) that will take you across Lake Washington, through the locks, and down to the harbor. Highly recommended!

If the weather is dry, go over to Gas Works Park in the late afternoon. People like to gather on the hill there to watch the sun set.

And of course, the Space Needle.... and the monorail.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I think the Ballard Locks are worth a look any time of the year... it's fun to watch the array of ships and boats passing through... from sailboats to tugs and barges to big cargo ships. ...
Friday and Sunday afternoons are busy at the locks - high volume boat traffic.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 22,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

https://kubotagarden.org/index.html Great for experiencing fall colors.

thank you!! when is the best time to visit the kubota garden for the fall colors?

Old 09-21-2023, 07:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah232094 View Post
thank you!! when is the best time to visit the kubota garden for the fall colors?
NOW! The fall colors are "on" now at the Kubota garden! It was recently featured in the Seattle Times for that reason. The natural display will probably continue through early October. If you can find a phone number or email address for the garden, you could contact them to ask how long the fall colors last.

Old 09-21-2023, 09:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
While at the locks, take a picnic lunch, or buy fish and chips and enjoy sunset at nearby Shilshole Marina Golden Gardens beach. Plan your days around avoiding traffic. Consider a ferry ride that will put you inbound to Seattle about dusk, and enjoy the sunset reflected on buildings (and Mt. Rainier if lucky) then the illumination of the city as the lights come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area