Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 04:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 796,995 times

Advertisements

It all rolls down hill to the consumer, but at least they’re trying something. Inflation is too high to be getting paid the same as before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 09:36 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,756,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Aren't most fast food jobs in major metros already paying $17+ these days? I've seen gas stations hiring cashiers for $20.

I guess in like Yakima or Othello the high minimum wage might be more noticeable than in the Seattle metro.
The panda express near me last time I drove by it had a sign in the window and it was over $20/hr for dishing out food.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:06 PM

8,086 posts, read 8,420,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Is there any data to show that remote workers are responsible for the increase in housing value?
I should have qualified that: "Remote workers are driving up housing values and rents statewide outside of the Seattle metro/Puget Sound Corridor." For a case in point, see Aberdeen:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...c-2811f984caa3 ("Aberdeen near top of rankings for U.S. real estate, population growth")

https://amp.tri-cityherald.com/news/...267988882.html ("Here are Washington state’s top real estate growth markets, according to a recent study") - "1. Grays Harbor County- 110.53%"

Old 10-23-2023, 06:49 PM

432 posts, read 362,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that's 12 friggin' dollars for a darn burrito! No student on financial aid can afford that more than once/week, if that. As UW staff, we'd all bring sack lunches. And the offices didn't have fridges back then, no coffee machines. They probably still don't. Not that we ever needed any of that. Students can make their own burritos to bring in their backpack for probably about $3.00, maybe less.
It's an hour's work at minimum wage. When I started working at $2.65, a good big burrito might have cost that. But I bet it was fancy enough to be brought on a plate.

I feel ya. My budget is inelastic so I eat well but go out seldom anymore.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:23 PM

1,945 posts, read 873,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...c-2811f984caa3 ("Aberdeen near top of rankings for U.S. real estate, population growth")

WHAT?? OK, that’s crazy! GREED!

Old 10-23-2023, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,400,246 times
Quote:
That is a fundamental question of American capitalism that likely can't be solved by UW or the state of Washington.
It's being solved by employers via hiring fewer employees.
I'm not adding any. My farm crops can't support minimum hourly wages paid. My technical and driver jobs can be subbed out, cheaper , and no liability, L&I, medical coverage required.

Time to go employee-less

Will pan out for UAW and striking teachers too.

Automation and Al and outsourcing will replace warm bodies. (including teachers). It would be great to outsource USA education to one of many countries who deliver results!

Old 10-23-2023, 11:26 PM

7,557 posts, read 17,309,368 times
Doesn't seem like it to me. We can't keep the labor market down. Maybe your business model is obsolete.

Old 10-24-2023, 12:09 AM

8,086 posts, read 8,420,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
WHAT?? OK, that’s crazy! GREED!

Well, values were very low in Aberdeen because unemployment and poverty were high and well-paying jobs were scarce. Remote workers are bringing higher incomes into the area, which helps to boot-strap the local economy. When demand exceeds supply, prices go up. Flippers and renovators help to add properties to the supply that otherwise couldn't be financed, and buy supplies/materials and pay skilled workers. As demand is met over time, price increases should slow down and moderate. Apartment rents in Seattle are actually falling because rising supply is exceeding slumping demand. Single-family houses, however, which are often cannibalized by MFH projects, are still in short-supply.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,400,246 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem like it to me. We can't keep the labor market down. Maybe your business model is obsolete.
How many employees did you have 10 yrs ago?
How many today?
How many employees have you projected to add in the next yr?

Do you serve a retail sector?

Do you have plans to abandon business processes that are costing you additional $$, without the additional profits to cover the growing expenses?

Some highly profitable and low capital businesses can do this. But most businesses with high labor and capital costs cannot absorb true additive costs, unless they are able to penetrate a new product / customer base.

WA makes it MUCH easier to run a business that is comprised of contract employees and leased equipment. Many tasks cannot be assigned as 'Contract employees'.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,782 posts, read 81,756,982 times
My employer was at about 2,000 employees in the recession of 2008, when there were layoffs and voluntary separations. We were at about 2,100 when Covid hit, and lost about 100 due to their failure to get vaccinated, with a hiring freeze for two years. Since then HR has been very busy recruiting for almost every department, including one hire for my team. Currently we have 32 openings advertised, ranging from $65k to $197k. I just looked at our pay scale list, and the lowest pay is mail messenger, at just over $25/hour, and our summer interns High School, College, and Graduate get $19-$29. Our pay analysts are constantly looking at other company pay rates to make sure we remain competitive to attract the best possible people. When the minimum wage goes up, so must everyone else's to maintain that distance above the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area