Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,896 times

Advertisements

I’ve heard people don’t use umbrellas, and I’m glad because I like having my hands free. My question is this, what is the preferred way to walk in rainy Washington weather. Do you use a hood, a hat? And what about coats or rain jackets? Do you just bundle up in a sweater and put a rain jacket over it or do you wear a waterproof coat? Any suggestions on waterproof boots? Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 12:41 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Good shoes are key. Merrells, Keens, anything with waterproof rating. Xtra Tuffs if you're going out clamming or something. On most days (when it's just gray and misty, not actually raining) I often default to my Crocs as well, since they're super comfy and wear well in the wet puddles.

Lots of folks use umbrellas but most don't. It isn't cold enough here for sweaters (usually) and if you're outside walking around, you don't want all those layers on. My preferred method is a thin acrylic tee shirt, a wool layer (SmartWool is your friend here), and then a good rain shell with a lipped hood.

Also could be a good idea to have two different rain coats, one of which is long to also cover most of your pants if you're dressed up or if it's particularly nasty outside.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We have been here 40 years now. I don't ever use an umbrella, and most of the rain here is light drizzle lasting for days. The hard rain typical in other places is rare. For me it's just a hood. Today, for example, I left the house at 48F and raining wearing a windbreaker with hood, very light nylon. As the weather gets colder I'll switch to a lightweight down jacket, also nylon with hood. I have a longer, heavier, lined jacket with hood that I will use when it gets below freezing. I never use a sweater under a jacket, just long sleeves, flannel or along sleeved tee. Sneakers always work for me except in the snow, and I have waterproof high boots for that. When I took the bus to work and was "business casual" I had to walk a mile from the bus stop to the office. I would carry my good shoes in a backpack and change from the sneakers when I got into the office.

If you wear glasses, look for jackets with a hood having a "beak" that keeps the glasses dry. For me that's the worst part of being outdoors in the rain, having to dry the glasses.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:30 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Good shoes are key. Merrells, Keens, anything with waterproof rating. Xtra Tuffs if you're going out clamming or something. On most days (when it's just gray and misty, not actually raining) I often default to my Crocs as well, since they're super comfy and wear well in the wet puddles.

Lots of folks use umbrellas but most don't. It isn't cold enough here for sweaters (usually) and if you're outside walking around, you don't want all those layers on. My preferred method is a thin acrylic tee shirt, a wool layer (SmartWool is your friend here), and then a good rain shell with a lipped hood.

Also could be a good idea to have two different rain coats, one of which is long to also cover most of your pants if you're dressed up or if it's particularly nasty outside.
It sure as heck is cold enough for sweaters, even wool coats, in winter! And a sweater plus a rain shell is less layers than you said you wear yourself. And I don't know how to interpret "it isn't cold enough..for sweaters" in the same sentence as "a wool layer" under a rain shell. Some of this seems contradictory. This may point toward the fact, that the situation actually is more complex than we'd like to think.

OP, how to advise depends on how active you plan to be outdoors in rainy or drizzly weather. Often it doesn't rain hard enough for more than a water-repellent jacket. For heavier rain, you'll want Gore-tex, or equivalent. If you're going to be active outdoors, beyond driving to the store and walking across the parking lot, breathable water-proofing is important. For cold winter days a warm wool coat or long jacket is good to have. If you plan to attend evening events in winter, concerts or other semi-formal events, you'll want a nice wool coat.

So much depends on lifestyle. If you have a little of everything, you can combine layers or do a single layer of whatever weight and level of water-repellency may be required for the weather, season, and occasion. And by the way, fwiw, to answer that all-important umbrella question: I always used an umbrella for heavier rain or thick mist, as did most people I knew in Seattle. It can't hurt to have one in case you need it.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:31 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Thanks for your input, Ruth. Intelligent, as always.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:36 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Thanks for your input, Ruth. Intelligent, as always.
Well, there are so many potential factors involved (lifestyle, cold tolerance, etc.), that I almost feel like throwing up my hands and saying, "I don't know. Do whatever works", lol.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:40 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,671,455 times
I have a thin waterproof jacket that I use for the three warmer seasons if there is going to be rain. It has a hood that keeps the rain off for the most part. I vary the layers underneath depending on temperature and activities. I use a thick coat for winter with a hood.

Rain is typically very light, so a hoodie is fine if you aren't going to be out in it for too long.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
The more severe cold rarely lasts more than a few days or a week, and I have no problem going out to get the mail or put out garbage at 20F wearing just a tee shirt. I'm not out in it long enough to bother with a coat.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:18 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Gor-Tex raincoat, waterproof hikers and Seattle sombrero rain hat if you spend any amount of time out on the trails in winter. Rain pants are good when it's dumping rain if you're going to be out hiking more than an hour.

The other option is to stay in when its dumping rain and just go out when its a drizzle and you can get by with a hoodie.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:59 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I moved to nearby Ft. Lewis to be with my husband when he got drafted. His military group was having a cookout at the lake and when I got up and saw the "rain" I thought that would be the end of going out to the lake.

But he said, no, that out there they don't cancel for rain. They go ahead unless it's really bad. I was so surprised but
I learned to adjust. Got used to ignoring a little drizzle.

I did get pneumonia in a couple of months. Someone there told me that it wasn't uncommon for Midwesterners to have pneumonia upon moving. Don't know if that is true or not.

I do remember playing volleyball outside one New Year's Eve, though. A perk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area