Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 10:24 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
If he left for tax reasons, good for him. It's irresponsible to let WA state bureaucrats and special interests squander more money at this time.
Sounds like you should follow him to the swamps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 10:14 AM

15,877 posts, read 6,577,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The only taxes Bezos pays is local property taxes to the city of Medina and sales tax if he actually ever buys something locally rather than have it shipped in.

If he remains the owner of his Medina house while living in Florida he keeps paying taxes whether or not he is living there. If he sells it the new owners pays taxes. Shrug.

He will be hit by the new capital gains tax. But that's new money. Getting rid of the capital gains tax just to keep Bezos in town doesn't accomplish anything.

The main taxes he pays are federal income taxes and those he will pay regardless of where he lives and the same amount will rebound back to Washington in the form of Federal programs regardless of whether he lives here or not.
He reportedly pays a very low income tax rate, with none paid in 2007 and 2011. But that's true for many of the wealthy. Percentage wise, it's a tiny fraction of what you and I pay. Hence why this nation is heavily in debt; we of moderate means are holding the whole system up with our paychecks.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:33 PM

5,469 posts, read 7,764,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
He reportedly pays a very low income tax rate, with none paid in 2007 and 2011. But that's true for many of the wealthy. Percentage wise, it's a tiny fraction of what you and I pay. Hence why this nation is heavily in debt; we of moderate means are holding the whole system up with our paychecks.
I know that Amazon as a corporation has a very low corporate income tax rate.

But I was not aware that Bezos' personal income tax returns were public information. Normally they would not be. I'm sure he has the resources to take advantage of every possible tax shelter so it wouldn't surprise me that he has a low personal income tax rate. I was just not aware it was public information.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:31 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,741,326 times
Looking at things from his potential point of view, WA doesn't have a lot going for it anymore. High and growing taxation, high crime and homelessness, and an exodus of working class/service workers to practically anywhere with more affordable housing. The rich need people to service and maintain their yachts, airplanes, luxury cars, estates, and so on. Having to continually up their ante or wait several weeks for their wants gets old. Most of the year, the weather either sucks too or it's smoky.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:48 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
That's kind of hilarious. People like Jeff Bezos don't wait for the Yacht Garage to come fix their yacht. They pay a full time staff to basically be on retainer for these kinds of things.

Yall, these aren't people worth $15 million. They're people worth B-B-BILLIONS. Obviously, for most of us that is incomprehensible.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:02 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,078,809 times
Quote:
But I was not aware that Bezos' personal income tax returns were public information. Normally they would not be. I'm sure he has the resources to take advantage of every possible tax shelter so it wouldn't surprise me that he has a low personal income tax rate. I was just not aware it was public information.
Not publicly available, as in directly from the government. But sometimes things get out...

https://www.propublica.org/article/t...oid-income-tax

Old 11-08-2023, 05:16 PM

5,469 posts, read 7,764,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That's kind of hilarious. People like Jeff Bezos don't wait for the Yacht Garage to come fix their yacht. They pay a full time staff to basically be on retainer for these kinds of things.

Yall, these aren't people worth $15 million. They're people worth B-B-BILLIONS. Obviously, for most of us that is incomprehensible.
Bezos also doesn't keep his yachts in Seattle. No point since he already has a mansion there.

Billionaires like Bezos send their yachts around the world to whatever destination they want to visit: The Costa del Sol, Tahiti, Caribbean, etc. And then they just fly out to their yacht when they want to get away.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:37 PM

368 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Hence why this nation is heavily in debt; we of moderate means are holding the whole system up with our paychecks.

The US is heavily in debt because politicians keep spending beyond our means in order to buy votes so they get re-elected.

Here’s the IRS data showing that “we of moderate means” are definitely not holding the system up.

Note, I am defining moderate means as $43,600-$87,000 and $87,000-$152,000 income blocks seen here:

Old 11-08-2023, 05:41 PM

368 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Bezos also doesn't keep his yachts in Seattle. No point since he already has a mansion there.

Billionaires like Bezos send their yachts around the world to whatever destination they want to visit: The Costa del Sol, Tahiti, Caribbean, etc. And then they just fly out to their yacht when they want to get away.
Eco-friendly billionaires would never do such a thing would they? Think of all the carbon spewing!

I know they wouldn’t do that because such a thing would be hypocritical, to say the least.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,963,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

You could spend 1 million per day for the rest of your life and still have a billion left?
That is Jeff's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area