Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Terrorism: disaster recovery, biological weapons, survival food, pre existing medical condition, stock market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 PM

345 posts, read 203,430 times

Advertisements

I believe that everyone here believes, that with respect to all the negative, unlucky,unhappy, accidental, wrong place at the wrong time, incidental, occasional, bad things that happen, -to oftentimes good people, that they will never happen to us,- to you.
That is because ,that reasonable and prudent people, take steps and follow behavioral patterns, that do not place themselves into unnecessarily vulnerable positions. We avoid risk! We control our environment as best we can.
September 11, was one of those incidences, in our modern times, when beyond our efforts at control of our circumstances, at least several thousand , men, women, & children, found themselves in circumstances-beyond their control.
The purpose of initiating this discussion is to try and learn from you, what you are thinking ,if the unthinkable should happen to us in the United States.
The scenario I present is as follows: August 1, 2007, News Report, 7:00 a.m. Eastern. An atomic blast has just occured in Denver, Colorado. It is believed there are no survivors. The prevailing winds indicate that the most intense radiation will travel initially south, through the southern tier of states, north through Tennessee and Kentucky, and further north along the eastern seaboard.
For the instant, forget about political and military ramifications. What I am interested in your presenting is as follows: 1. Describe the scenario you believe will occur in this country as it effects you immediately. How are you presently preapared , how would you immediately prepare, what would be your immediate reaction over the next few hours ...days?
Please try to not get political, because, at this point political won't mean a helluva lot. How will you be impacted...what will you do...what measures will you take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Head for my underground bomb shelter and pray!

Seriously what can one do?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Well, I'm North of there by about 6 hours so I wouldn't be worried about fallout. Although Denver is the major hub for parts, groceries and stuff for my area, I'm pretty well set up.

I have about a 90 day supply of food in this house. That just comes from living through some tough Wyoming Winters and being stranded in my home for days, or in some cases a couple weeks at a time. I always try to maintain a 90 day supply. But during the summer I tend to build that to even more so that I'm stocked up for the winter. For the same reason, I keep four 7 gallon water containers full of water. I dump them, rinse them, and refil them every month.

If there's a major power grid blackout, I have enough fire wood to last about 4 months in my fireplace. I have lanterns and about 8 gallons of fuel for them.

I think I'd be pretty well set as far as personal comfort. So now I'd start looking at the political situation as far as what is the government doing and how bad is this effecting the nation. What's being done to make sure, Dallas isn't next? Or Kansas City?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM

jgussler, first time I've seen you post here, and first one out of the question box,-you tha man!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
I am glad someone out there is re:directing the thinking that something horrific could actually happen here. My image of the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy was seeing all of the Wall Street workers still trying to go to work like nothing had ever happened. They even took it upon themselves to buy
paper masks thinking that would protect them from the gasses, asbestos and whatever else that could kill them. I remember as a kid we had a thing called civil defense shelters that would be a safe haven until the nuclear blast passed over. After reading more about nuclear blasts, one can survive it if they take necessary precautions. NOTHING is being said by our "government" about any of this. People, it is time to start thinking a different way and educate yourself about this potential threat. I think the east coast is the target but any attack here will affect the rest of the U.S., in the form of depression. This is not a movie or video game, it is a real potential scenario.
It gets more real as time passes. As Keith Olbermann says on MSNBC, "GOOD LUCK".

Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Kaintuck
Didn't you already post something just like this thread a few months ago?
That time, you picked Denver, too.
To answer my own question
I spent all of grade school "assuming the position" for atomic attack.
We try to be hurricane-ready.
That's about the most I am going to do, though certainly, with the kind of foreign policy our country has displayed the past few years, the USA's karma is not good.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Just hope they do take out Denver or points west. By the time the fallout gets to Boston it will be diluted enough that the resulting cancers, if any, will take long enough to kill me that I would be dead anyway. Just in case I would try and get some iodine pills. If they hit Boston - I'll be dead anyway.

IMHO – the entire “Civil Defense” system was a concerted effort by the militarists to keep us too frightened to question the defense spending. Kind of like the “war on Terrorism” SSDD. If we hadn’t wasted the money on the false security we would be a far more prosperous and pleasant country today.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,855 times
Default Not if but When ....................

First: When this event happens chaos will reign initially. If a nuclear attack , biological attack whatever occurs 9/11 will look like a fireworks display by comparison. The next attack is promised to be more grand according to those who want us dead. Life will be difficult to say the least not only for the area which will be under attack but the whole nation. We are interrelated to an extent where all will be effected.
Second: My preparedness on a scale of 1-10 is about 7 currently. We have a reasonable amount of food and water( We are working on stocking more food)
jgussler gives a good suggestion about water and changing it monthly. Thanks jgussler. We have small arms and enough ammo to defend ourselves if need be. We live in a very heavily populated area currently( Between Boston and New york City)....In a little less than two years we will be moving to our home in the Blue Ridge range (North Carolina/Virginia)...Same preparation plan. Mabe more Ammo ....More game to hunt.
All the above is in the hopes we will be at home or can get home to implement the plan........If not then basic survival instincts will engage hopefully. This is something that I would rather not think about but hey I have to !!!!!
My immediate reaction to such an event would be Oh $%^&!!! I would be scared to death( I will be praying to my Lord) and then knowing me I'd be mad as HELL!!!!! One thing for certain I won't be worrying about paying any bills for a while.....I know this, I will band together with my neighbors and do everything possible to see this through.....Cooperation is crucial...... Despite the horrific nature of such an event I still hold the notion that Americans are resilient and decent in general. We Americans are known to come together in crisis. I believe such a situation will unite us in such a way as never seen before. This is still a damn good country !!!! I believe this !!!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 AM

219 posts, read 717,874 times
Living and growing up in small town south Texas you make friends with your share of survivalists - at least I did anyway. I have a couple of good friends who maintain disaster shelters most stocked with supplies to last almost a year. One even has this complex water purification system installed.

Geiger counters are a must when dealing with such an event especially if you are anywhere close to the area hit. Depending on the size of the blast, the amount of fallout and the wind speeds, direction, moisture in the air and so forth, that would determine if this area would be in danger from such a strike in Denver.

Also I suppose I'd get to use that NBC training courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

As many others stated, team work is essential. Nothing good can come from and "every man for himself" attitude. Leadership would need to be established as well as setting up people to be responsible for certain priorities like first aid, food acquisition and inventory, shelter procurement and maintenance, security and so on - planning and communication along with cooperation can go a long way.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM

Yes, you're right I did post something like this before and it got off topic and was closed. I am glad to see a lot of new posters here I have not run into before. This is something that concerns me a lot because I believe it is something worthy of concern.
One poster here believes it is all a great military conspiracy to hype us on our security. To those individuals let me help you with something. It wasn't Navy Seals or Green Beret or Army Rangers or American special forces that flew those planes into the towers.
It is no longer the wild wild west but the wild wild east. There are a few thousands of people out there that are outlaws in an untamed land. Their governments are failures. Let me repeat..."Their governments are failures".
The James Gang, Billy the Kid, not with a six gun strapped on their belts but strapped to an atomic bomb. They don't want your gold. They have a much more basic want. They want you dead.
I posted before that I read a news article that stated 90% of the intelligence committee believed we would have that kind of strike within ten years. That was 2 years ago I read that article.
The predominant response I received from some of you was where did I get the information. Where the hell do we get any of our information and what is reliable and what is not, hell I don't know...do you?
It is not political one upmanship crap I want folks to consider.
Some of what I am reading on this post is great. Let's count the survivalists and what are you doing. In texas, I'm sure it is different than in New York City. The important thing is that we are aware that it is possible and that we have made some preperation. That will make us all strong.
The problem I see is the unpreparedness of the federal government in educating the public.
It is far more probable that this could happen with rogue forces than with organized countries. One of the scarier notions is who gets the blame. I think the Russians won't much care, or the Chinese, or the North Koreans, certainly not the Muslim world, or most of it. Maybe this even presents an incentive to facilitate. We are all sitting around sniping at each other, trying to wrest some political advantage, one side claims security hoax the other claims serious security issues.
I take some personal comfort in having a plan. How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness