Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,659,317 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever eaten roadkill they've found? Most of us come across it quite often.

I know a few people that have done it but I'm not one of them. I suppose as a means of self-sufficiency and preparedness it'd be another arrow in your survival quiver.

I don't imagine there's not too many dead animals you couldn't eat. An endless supply of protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,229,393 times
Question Roadkill! Do You, Would You?

Think of the money this English guy has saved over 30 years of not buying groceries and canned foods for preps!

Rabbits, badgers and pheasants are my most common finds. Rabbit is actually quite bland. Fox is far tastier; there's never any fat on it, and it's subtle, with a lovely texture, firm but soft. It's much more versatile than beef, and has a salty, mineral taste rather like gammon. Frogs and toads taste like chicken and are great in stir-fries. Rat, which is nice and salty like pork, is good in a stir-fry, too – I'll throw in celery, onion, peppers and, in autumn, wild mushrooms I've collected. Badger is not nice and hedgehog is hideous.

Jonathan McGowan, 44-Year-Old UK Man, Lives Off Roadkill For 30 Years

So fess up: Do you eat roadkill? Would you? Under what circumstances (beyond SHTF)?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,970,798 times
Merging these two since they're so similar.

To answer the question(s): YES, I've eaten fresh roadkill, and winter roadkill that I knew froze before anything horrible starting manifesting. Moose (in AK) and deer (L48) being the most common; but also quail, pheasant, and grouse that get clipped. Most smaller critters get smooshed, which can corrupt the meat, so they aren't usually safe to eat unless you barely winged them and had to get out of the truck/car to finish them off.

For fresh roadkill, no special circumstances are necessary... fresh meat is fresh meat and it's smart not waste it (not to mention illegal not to harvest some animals in some states!)

I might eat questionable roadkill if I were hungry enough, and/or if the carcass didn't smell really disgusting... but I'd be sure to freeze it AND cook the living heck out of it first. In any case, if it were a decent pelt animal and the skin was in mostly good condition, I'd probably skin it and keep the carcass for dogs or the traps, at the very least get the carcass off the roadway so there weren't more incidents with scavengers.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,671,265 times
When I lived in Carmel you could not walk a mile without seeing raccoon road kill. One trip to Trader Joe's and you could count a dozen. Carmel raccoon are 90% infected with raccoon ringworm that has no cure.
I nearly hit a deer 30 years ago, hit my bumper. I stopped and looked for it, if I had I would have gutted it and thrown it in the truck.
Most of the road kill I see anymore is a squirrel or rabbit, a few skunk.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,520,377 times
Several years back, I hit a deer while traveling through Connecticut (right next to Rhode Island). My truck was dented, so I waited for the police. I was told that I had one of two choices: I could keep the deer, OR the state would repair my truck. I chose to keep the deer...fixing the truck was easier than hunting down some more venison!

I don't know if they still have that policy in CT. They sure don't here, in RI. But that was some mighty good venison, without having to fire a shot! The truck was older and the bent fender just needed pulling out some for it to run fine. So that's the way it went! YUMM!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,628,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
So fess up: Do you eat roadkill? Would you? Under what circumstances (beyond SHTF)?

I'll confess.

I did about 30 years ago. I'd gone small game hunting and came upon a prairie chicken laying on the side of the road. It was still warm and limp. No obvious damage, so I thought it must have flown into the side of a car that had just passed by.

Took it home, put it the crock pot with some onions, carrots, and taters.

It was real good.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,873,632 times
When I was a teenager I used to skin and tan raccoon, fox and badger pelts that I'd find as roadkill, provided they were reasonably fresh and not mutilated. I wouldn't eat game that I didn't kill or see be killed though. I'll only stoop so low...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,240,864 times
I have taken home and eaten a few road kills. I prefer to do it my self or see the animal killed - not that I would ever hit any animal on purpose. The reason that I want to see it killed is that I prefer “head” shots with the vehicles. When a car or truck runs over and punctures the guts you have a stinky mess.
That smell permeates the meat. I have seen dogs that would not eat some of these road kills.

One funny story about road kill was one of my father’s in the early 1950’s. He used to own housekeeping cottages and would pickup his tourist from the local train station. On one occasion he had a young honeymoon couple from NYC. On the way back to the cottages a large doe ran in front of his old car with and extended front bumper. It got trapped under the bumper. My father jumped out and grabbed the large stillson wrench from the trunk and finished the deer off. He then roped the carcass to the front bumper. He never heard a peep out of the honeymooners for the whole week. He tried to offer them some fresh deer meat - but they declined. They left the cottage spotless. I guess some city slickers just have a hard time adapting!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,543,443 times
A guy I know is married to a person we called mountain girl after Garcia's ex wife, and she spends all day every day in the most rural county in Ohio collecting fur bearing road kill and skins and sews things out of the beautiful furs. Raccoon blankets and capes, beaver, rabbit, etc. Really beautiful stuff. She gets hundred of animals a week, most of which end up as pig feed.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
A purposely killed carcass is much nicer than a road killed one. There is a lot of bruising of the meat and the bones are crunched not to mention (as someone did previously) what spilled entrails does to the flavor. We have gotten a few road kills, but they were generally still warm and feral pigs are fairly large, too, so there are usually areas on the carcass which are salvageable. The dogs do end up with a lot of the roadkill, though. Which at least saves on dog food costs. I kinda like the idea of Wilson513's friend, gather the roadkill and use it for pig feed and then eat the pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness