Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times

Advertisements

ROFLMAO - people in CA have massive power outages due to the Santa Ana winds. One couple on the news this morning said that they had two weeks' worth of supplies for emergencies - but the supplies were in their garage and, with the electricity out, they could not open the electric garage door to get to them!

In all of our conversations on here about prepping, food storage, bug-out bags, and off-site storing, it needs to be said - if you can't get to your supplies - for any reason - they are just as useless as if you hadn't prepped at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
I've never in my life seen a garage whose only point of access was the garage door itself.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,640 times
Hopefully they had a way of breaking the garage door. It's funny to think electricity won't go out yet put emergency supplies behind an electric door. That's like putting emergency cash in a BOA savings account. It costs not to practise. One guy was saying how he did a practise and had all sorts of supplies, he didn't know where to immediately grab them and go so it took him several minutes. So he labeled them and practised. But even then who knows.

I also don't like the idea of pressing your thumb on a money safe to open it. I didn't design the safe so how do I know it's always going to open? Just sounds like an expensive risky way to store cash. If I had that much cash to worry about I'd probably spend it while its good.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've never in my life seen a garage whose only point of access was the garage door itself.
I once lived in an apartment for 12 years which had exactly that - a double car garage under the living quarters but no access from the living quarters. I had to walk around the outside and open the garage door. I never did have an automatic opener though - used a high quality padlock and lifted the door manually. There were five units in the complex, all with the same garage situation. Some of the other people did have automatic openers, but I never thought about the problem of power outages in that regard because it didn't apply to me. I would say it would be an unacceptable situation to have the garage door itself as the only point of access and have an electrically operated opener. The situation I had must be fairly rare and I wonder if modern building codes prohibit it in new construction in most localities?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Sure, we have another trucking firm here next town over, with those electronic keypad locks on all the doors. Power goes out....uh-oh.

Fortunately, the owner does have a walk door around back with a padlock. But sheesh, the guy's over 80 years old. What do the drivers do if he doesn't show up? Oh - I get it! They go on 99 weeks of unemployment!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

I also don't like the idea of pressing your thumb on a money safe to open it. I didn't design the safe so how do I know it's always going to open? Just sounds like an expensive risky way to store cash. If I had that much cash to worry about I'd probably spend it while its good.
My father had a lot of books. He kept $2,000 hidden in "The Wall Street Boys."

Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Love it!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Or he can wrap it inside some dirty looking underwear, but make sure noone else does his laundry.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've seen a lot of older houses like that (pre-1960'ish). I'm not real sure if it's a building code update thing (for emergency egress in case of fire), or if people just finally came to the realization that it probably would be a good idea to put an inside door connecting the house to the garage, or otherwise just a separate door to the outside, that way the occupant doesn't have to lift the heavy car garage door each time they want to go inside.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
I don't see apartment dwellers as survivors; they just don't have the proper mindset. But that said, if I were somehow caught in this situation I'd surreptitiously cut a whole in the floor and fashion a disguised trapdoor. Then I'd buy a ladder.

If I couldn't build the trapdoor myself I'd pay someone to do it. I'd bring the ladder into the place about 4:30 A.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness