Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Guided by some of the logic paraded on this thread, all it takes to justify my going out and slaughtering someone is a "need." Maybe I'm feeling horny tonight and "need" some action. Good enough. So long Sue Ellen. Maybe I'm feeling pizzed because my boss reprimanded me at work today and I "need" a release. Good enough. Tah-tah little Billy. Maybe my neighbor was snoring too loud last night, I didn't get much sleep, and I just need someone to take it out on. Later Mrs. Olsen. Or maybe my welfare check has been delayed and I'm really hungry. Good Enough. See ya on the grill, Daisy Jane. See, as long as I have a personal "need," murder is justified. So then, I guess we could go ahead and say all murder is justified.
Oh my god...

I think you should go right now to the dictionary and read the definition of need, because you're actually falling into the fallacy of wanting == need. Which is weird given everything you've ever mentioned on this forum, which is people don't understand the difference between wants and needs (at least that's my take on much of your general thrust of small living and downsizing).

Quote:
Because I'm SURE such upstanding pillars of humanity like Aileen Wuornos, Elizabeth Báthory (does bathing in and drinking blood count as cannibalism?), Vlad Tepes, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkowitz, etc had a "need" that was satisfied when they murdered. Hell, your kindred spirit, Ottis Toole, confessed to cannibalism in addition to the murders, arson, and necrophilia. Ultimately, if you see no difference between killing in self-defense, killing for hunger, and killing for jollies, you no doubt share a fairly sinister trait with all these people. And if you want to be considered of the same caliber as these sorts of folks, have at it. Congratulations.
No there's little difference in killing in self defense and killing for self preservation indeed they are the same. It is not the same to equate this to people as to equate people who view this point as the same as serial killers. As I mentioned invariably for most serial killers death is incidental to their particular motivations.

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I know. This is in French--Parlez-vous français? Your rebuttals will be in Norwegian--Snakker du norsk? Result: zero change in opinion. I just felt like writing some hyperbole this morning... and this is the first thing that came up on the computer screen.

The only useful thing I can say in this post (to everyone on my side of this argument)... if you don't concealed carry a firearm, do you now see why you SHOULD? There are "black hats" everywhere--even in places you'd least suspect. Also, it might help to carry a small bag of food on your person at all times.
Well I'm sorry you feel like that, I'm also sorry that you think that because in extremely dire circumstances I'd consider cannibalism as a form of survival I'm some serial killer. However, given that you're prepared to take that as a personal insult, I'm not particularly sorry, because you have demonstrated by your words that you're not a person who can rationally discuss hard topics without resorting to name calling and hyperbole when people express opinions you disagree with. If you want to be that person, you may want to consider moving into the POC forum.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Thread closed while under review.

Will be 'fixed' as soon as possible...