Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,766,267 times

Advertisements

Tell that to the Spokane WA police when they do a search for someone living in the hobo "jungle" by the RR tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,803,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Not always true. You might be surprised at the number of them that are highly intelligent that could stand next to you at a grocery check out, and you would be none the wiser.
Agreed. There are also some people who are very intelligent with some or full college in the sciences who have made a calculated choice to live closer to nature based on serious and principled thinking about the subject of how humans should live on earth. In other words, do we live in resistance to nature or flow with it it? I would not consider them hobos by any stretch.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 AM

26,253 posts, read 19,172,273 times
I've seen "hobos" that are anything from mentally unstable and/or addicted to drugs and/or criminals all the way to people who are bright enough to teach in a university. I don't generally judge people by their appearance--never judge a book by its cover--unless it is blatantly obvious. I've also noted that IQ and economic standing (or "business sense") are not always correlated. I know some stunningly bright people who are economic disasters... and I know some dolts who are quite wealthy. There are different kinds of "smarts" and different perceptions of priority in life.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 AM

195 posts, read 282,434 times
It's much easier/safer to just live in a van. Migrate 2x per year, to avoid the real heat and cold. You can have all the rights of an owner on a 20 acre "mining claim", for $120 per year. That includes parking your van there, running small livestock, gardening, hunting and fishing. Or you can live in or near a town, draw food stamps (2k per year), sell blood plasma for 3k per year, fly a sign at intersections (3-4k per year, rush hour evenings) do cash gigs on Craiglist (3-4k per year) "mine" the dirt berms at the shooting ranges for lead, cast and sell bullets (3-4k per year, $$700 worth of gear, not much bulk) get in some daylabor (3k-10K per year, depending upon how hard/long you try). You can pocket 14k per year for 4 years, going to college, then it goes up to 30k per year for graduate school.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 AM

195 posts, read 282,434 times
You don't have to have much money to buy a pretty nice mini-van, actually. Look on craigslist, if you are careful, $1000 gets you one. You can realize 7k in your pocket, with a school loan, drop to 1/2 time, and if you maintain a C average, they'll give you another 9k the next semester, (2k tuition and fees) So there's 14k, no credit check, no nothing just sign up for 12 credit hours. You don't owe anything on it for 18 months from the first sign up, if you go 2 semesters per year, and it's 7%. 2k of that 14 is grants and schollarships, you don't owe those back. You can do a LOT with 7k, actually.:-) If you live in the van, the plasma sales and food stamps will cover your expenses. Park close to school/work, move the van (a mile or less suffices to keep you unnoticed) every early morn and late evening. Dont park in the same place more than once per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness