Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times

Advertisements

I was once caught in a traffic jam back in 2008 or so on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Traffic was at a complete standstill for miles since the bridge was effectively closed for a very odd reason - some guy with a gun at the far end of the bridge was either threatening to shoot himself and/or other people around him. Eventually, they talked him down and life went on, but it was about an hour and a half or so. Not life threatening... if you exclude the guy with the gun?!

I also drove home right after one of the Snow-mageddon storms in 2010... down I-95 into central Maryland... and things just got bad. Lanes missing from the highway, exits buried under snow... I-95 itself was closed down not far after my exit, which is insane when you think what it takes to close down that highway from snow alone. Not one of my smarter decisions - I could have easily ended up stranded or otherwise in trouble.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
60 miles in 13 hours, it's my the worst jam so far. https://www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...l#post33738365

Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
The worst traffic jam I had didn't have anything to do with weather! It was the Thanksgiving weekend and we were going from Miami to Orlando which normally takes about 3 hours on Interstate-95 and it turned into a 7 & 1/2 hour nightmare!

There was a car crash north of the Miami metro and so many people were on the Interstate that EMS + the police couldn't reach the accident site for hours!

Thank God for AC in our van, music and a cooler full of beer and sandwiches!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Yup, I've been stuck in "traffic" for HOURS due to snowstorms... yes, we do get snow in California!

One time I was driving from Oregon back to the Bay Area, and hit a horrible snowstorm going over Siskiyou Pass. I was driving a small sedan (Mazda?), and stopped to put on chains before heading over - but didn't realize one had fallen off shortly after, so I was driving through this storm with ONE chain. I ended up following closely behind another car who seemed to have better grip, and just using their "grooves" in the snow to guide me. I think it took about 3-4 hours to get over the pass, and was getting very late by the time we made it. Originally I'd planned to drive straight through, but stopped in Yreka for the night instead. Tiring experience, to say the least! Oh, and this was before the days of reliable cell phones too. I think I had one, but it only worked in big cities & such.

I've also gotten stuck in Tahoe traffic for hours upon hours, thanks to a combination of heavy snow and vacationers heading home. It was particularly frustrating when I lived up there, as I didn't always have the flexibility (in terms of when to drive) a vacationer would. In clear traffic/weather it only takes about 1.5 hours from South Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, but I've seen it take as long as 5-7 hours. Yikes.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Yes a few times. July 17, 96 in Chicago by O'Hare comes readily to mind. Had to drive to Bloomington, and it took about 90 minutes just to get out of the immediate Airport area. It was raining and severe thunderstorms were passing through. Reason I can't forget it was same day TWA flight 800 had its 'accident' leaving JFK. It was interesting to hear the news reports on radio while stuck inching along at first - without the filtering of the Feds co opted investigation. For reference:

The Missiles That Brought Down TWA Flight 800 Washington's Blog

The problem with the snowstorms in areas that don't usually get them is the lack of preparation and familiarity all around (municipalities and individuals). As someone who lived in eastern great lake snow belt region. You learn alternate ways to get places in your local areas or simply don't go out unless you have the correct vehicle for the occasion.

Like OregonWoodSmoke, I also keep a care package in my vehicle at all times: boots, extra socks, underwear, old pair of jeans, sweatshirt with hood and foodstuffs. Came in handy one return trip around Christmas when I got stopped due to NYS thruway being closed. Ended up staying at motel for a night.

I've been stuck in LA highway jams a few times while traveling. LA has such narrow windows of 'off times'. Most often the traffic jams I've been in were caused by accidents or construction where you are on highway and have no alternate until you get around trouble spot. A few weeks back an overhead water main burst above the highway (I-90) on the weekend and those caught in it were delayed about hour and half to two hours.

Another one I recall being stuck in was around summer of 2001 going west on I 40 from Memphis into Arkansas while on road trip. The replacement I-40 bridge was under construction and somehow a large truck taking construction supplies had bad accident at western end of existing bridge (soon to be replaced) which was on reduced lanes. I think it took an hour to cross the Mississippi.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:48 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I see there is now another 30 mile long traffic jam in Texas on Hwy 45, between
Dallas and Houston...all covered in snow....over NIGHT!
Any personal experiences...any tips...are u prepared?
My gosh...how awful!!

LOL. I saw the thread title and thought, "Of course! Anyone who's tried to cross the L.A. basin during rush hour has been stuck for hours in a traffic jam!"

Yeah, I've been stuck for hours in traffic. People shutting off their cars, getting out, walking around on the freeway / parking lot to stretch their legs... but never for weather related reasons.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Hmm...fire ext and flares...what food lasts a long time in a car?
Raw nuts and raisins?
I know so many of the routes you all wrote about.
I buy down jackets at Goodwill for my vehicles, hats, gloves, a blanket...
Peanuts seem to get rancid. Gas is always topped off..Phone charger...
Beer explodes....

Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Raw nuts and raisins?
Beer explodes....
How long are we talking? If it's just a matter of hours (no more than 10?), you can buy just about any packaged food to last the trip - just don't open it until you're ready to eat it, lol. Personally I love these Uncrustables, which make for a good on-the-go sandwich and last quite a while without refrigeration: Smucker

Then of course you have your potato chips, candy, nuts, trail mix, etc, which last for ages if unopened. Usually I take a small cooler with a "cool pack" (or whatever you call those packs that replace ice cubes), and fill it with diet Pepsi - my drink of choice. Then I buy some of the crap listed above, as it's better than nothing on a long trip!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 PM

313 posts, read 496,989 times
I grew up in Massachusetts, so I was taught to keep a bunch of things in my trunk at all times in case of a snow emergency. Things like water, non perishable snacks, blankets and pillows, and a small radio for information. Flares. Flashlights. Toilet paper & Paper towel. I think the blizzard of 1978 really freaked people out.

When I moved to California, I definitely got poked fun at for being the person "always prepared"!!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Raw nuts and raisins?
Beer explodes....
Water
Sports drink (or just the packets to add to water)
Trail mix
Almonds lightly salted in can
Water Crackers
Beef Jerky
Canned Salmon / Tuna with pop lids
Candy sweets that won't melt

Keep it in a small playmate or soft side.

If you know prior to a road trip / trek, or anticipate potential difficulty add some apples or oranges and bag of carrots they keep well in a playmate for few days.

Some other things that don't take up much room and to have in a 'go bag':
Paper towels/ pre folded TP packed in sandwich baggie
Wet wipes
Duck Tape
Knife
Flashlight
Poly string
Tarp (6x8)
First Aid kit
Lighter
Batteries
Blanket
Compact Shovel

Rotate perishable items (batteries/ food /water) at Spring / Fall intervals - use a 'trigger' reminder like daylight saving time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness