Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Which would you rather keep on you side: a construction hammer or a fixed blade survival/outdoor/combat knife? As for the hammer, it can be any kind of construction hammer, the handheld variety like a ball been, standard, or mallet, and not the ones with the long long handles, just the short standard ones. For knives, I am referring to the gerber LMF, or the KABAR, or the Bear Grylls knife, something like that is really popular in the sporting goods stores. Which is actually more useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The hammer has some minor use for self-defense and might or might not be useful for constructing a shelter.

The knife has some minor use for self defense, and has lots of little jobs it can do for you. The most important use is butchering. It can be used for minor construction in building a shelter. It can be used to prepare the materials to build a snare to catch meat. You can use it to clean your fingernails and cut your hair.

Your best choice, however, is to not get yourself into a position where those are your only choices and you can only carry one item.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Adding this: I get a lot of use out of my fixed blade skinner. My personal opinion is that those great big special forces type of knives are too big and too awkward to use for much of anything except for hacking brush.

They sure look macho, though, if that's what you are going for.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
As an all around tool on my belt? Small Scandie grind fixed blade like a Helle or Mora. Then a medium hatchet such as a Wildlife hatchet from Wetterlings or Gransfors. A carpenter's hammer is a useful tool for its purpose, but the above tools can be used for everything from fire prep to game processing to building and repairing other tools to shelter building, and so on.

You know the old saying, 'If all you carry is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail'.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Why not have both? We are not yet in a world where we need to choose just one...both are quite affordable, along with anvil loppers, bow saws, axes (and hatchets), pruning saws, machetes, etc. I have all of these and more. You need more than one tool. Choose wisely, and learn to use your tools well.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Got to agree with Nor'Eastah.

I always have at least a couple of knives in easy reach, I always carry hammers, saws, axes, and a lot of other tools in my truck.

If you are talking survival situation, why not go with a Roofing Hammer? That at least has a blade and a hammer on it which makes it much more versitile.

I make bearded axes, and if you take the handle out they make OK knives for a lot of uses, or with the handle you have an ax, a shaper, you can peel bark or chop wood as well as set stakes if you need.

Even a generic hatchet is a better choice for survival and multipurpose use than just a hammer.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,450 times
Either one is potentially lethal in my hands, mostly to me, but also to whatever I'm trying to fix.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
Where is this "survival" at? In the woods? Then a single bit axe is what you need, after that is a knife, a good folder with two or three blades. What you want to survive seems to be fantasy land from those two choices.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Either one is potentially lethal in my hands
You going to cut yourself?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Where is this "survival" at? In the woods? Then a single bit axe is what you need, after that is a knife, a good folder with two or three blades. What you want to survive seems to be fantasy land from those two choices.
Well, this whole survivalism, and Prepper culture is all but fantasy aint it?

But even still, hammers are much more common than a KABAR or Gerber LMF. Most homeowners will probably have one or two lying around. Lets say you are in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina then. Your whole first floor or your house is flooded, but I am sure you can swim your way to your trusty hammer lying on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness