Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 AM

195 posts, read 186,470 times

Advertisements

Newsflash here. A billion people, all over the world, live without electricity, phones, computers, etc. Everyone did so a century or so ago. You are making your own complexity. You can live in a van and get what you need at the local strip mall, library, college, gym and convenience store. I know this is so because I did it, for 10 months, while putting 10k into the bank (without working at any sort of job) and it was not all that long ago, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:21 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,608,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
Newsflash here. A billion people, all over the world, live without electricity, phones, computers, etc. Everyone did so a century or so ago. You are making your own complexity.
many people here cant or wont live without those things, so fully are they integrated into the technology. living without these things isn't hard, its just a matter of adapting.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 AM

yep, I ate well, stayed warm/cool and healthy, on just a very few hundred bucks per year, while selling plasma, etc.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
It's also a matter of mind-set. Americans - many of them - are a spoiled, entitled bunch; they worship "livin' large" as a sign of "success", and social acceptance is far more important to these types than saving money. After all, they figure...what are credit cards for, if you don't use them?

Delayed gratification is not something they want to hear about. Voluntarily lowering their standard of living, even for a short while, in order to save money just causes them to yawn.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 AM

yep, I ate well, stayed warm/cool and healthy, on just a very few hundred bucks per month, while selling plasma, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
I think some of the motivation for the lifestyle is a rejection of the middle class lifestyle that is sold us by corporate America in the media, new house, car, clothes, makeup, spend spend spend, buy buy, buy. So people are opting for tiny houses, living off grid, living in RV's etc. Some more so, by opting to reject regular checkups with the doctor, rejecting medical insurance. And some are eating organic or growing their own or deciding to try to live to the extent they can "off grid."

Part of it is also motivated by people that have found that the tax structure just far too punitive to keep up the big house and big lifestyle. Why work so hard? So there are a lot of motivations behind it. I also think the trend will continue. Its pretty obvious our economy is stuck in a zero growth mode, and the politicians don't seem to care and don't want to change it. They see darker days ahead, and so they are planning accordingly.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think some of the motivation for the lifestyle is a rejection of the middle class lifestyle that is sold us by corporate America in the media, new house, car, clothes, makeup, spend spend spend, buy buy, buy. So people are opting for tiny houses, living off grid, living in RV's etc. Some more so, by opting to reject regular checkups with the doctor, rejecting medical insurance. And some are eating organic or growing their own or deciding to try to live to the extent they can "off grid."

Part of it is also motivated by people that have found that the tax structure just far too punitive to keep up the big house and big lifestyle. Why work so hard? So there are a lot of motivations behind it. I also think the trend will continue. Its pretty obvious our economy is stuck in a zero growth mode, and the politicians don't seem to care and don't want to change it. They see darker days ahead, and so they are planning accordingly.

I think this is pretty much true.

It's been my observation that we entered another depression around 2008, and few want to acknowledge that. The "spend, spend, spend, buy, buy, buy" mentality hasn't gone away - it's more that people's incomes no longer allow for it. I'm beginning to see real hard times out there.

Politicians DO care, and would love to stop this trend. Nobody wants an economic downturn on their watch. But the causes of this downturn are not so easy to stop. It has to play itself out.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:37 AM

it's going to play out, all right. the boomers are going to collapse the economy, thru medicare and pensions, with the millions of iillegals and stupid wars helping out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness