Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:03 PM

469 posts, read 398,442 times

Advertisements

Those who can't start a fire from scratch are the ones who would not make it. Basics: ability to build a fire, build a shelter, find/catch food. Plus, you need a good system to filter water. The rest is all bull****. You can be old and/or not so healthy, but if you can do these things you will be ok. Unless some ******* with a gun comes and shoots you to steal your stuff, in which case it doesn't matter how good you are at surviving, because looting and murder are a whole different skill set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So racists, atheists, and heterosexuals don't like:
the obese, diabetics, the oxygen-dependent, those who need dialysis, those with respiratory issues like COPD or heart ailments, frail elderly, and the mobiliity impaired, welfare recipients, SSDI recipients, the poor, some minorities, alcoholics, drug addicts, those dependent upon prescription pain-killers or opiates, Anti-Gunners, Peace Types, Tree-Huggers, urban liberals and women, undisciplined children ???

Your post reads like it is projecting a lot of hatred.
Wait-what? Are you talking to me or the OP?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:45 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Wait-what? Are you talking to me or the OP?
There was a poster, handled 'RodentRaiser'

Who presented the idea that racists, atheists, and heterosexuals don't like:
the obese, diabetics, the oxygen-dependent, those who need dialysis, those with respiratory issues like COPD or heart ailments, frail elderly, and the mobiliity impaired, welfare recipients, SSDI recipients, the poor, some minorities, alcoholics, drug addicts, those dependent upon prescription pain-killers or opiates, Anti-Gunners, Peace Types, Tree-Huggers, urban liberals and women, undisciplined children ???

That poster [rodentraiser] reads like he/she is projecting a lot of hatred.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:08 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Why thank you! I typically don't let it bother me ... & neither do I speak my mind about it.

I guess what bothers me more than anything is that I think he views me as a liability. I'm sure my potential to be an asset has never been entertained!

Whats more is that if we were compared, side by side ... I think it would be evident that my strengths are an exact match to his weaknesses & vice versa.

In other words; if he were to view me as an ally, our household, or unit, or whatever; stands a chance at being viable.

Instead; I'm alienated.

But at least I'm optomistic!
Read what you just wrote.

The man you love devalues you, belittles you and alienates you. Rather than hang around for a SHTF scenario, you need to walk away now. Save yourself, now! Fantasizing about the EOTWAWKI is another way of avoiding dealing with today. He thinks you're a liability. You really think he will protect you and share HIS food when the Hunger Games start?

Old 12-11-2016, 03:33 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
That poster [rodentraiser] reads like he/she is projecting a lot of hatred.
Yes, I agree, Sub.

It is a shame that these subjects, which we so often discuss here (SHTF, survivors, those who may not survive, etc) cannot be discussed without certain people being "offended" , and posting that it sounds as if I "don't like" these groups, when all I am doing is pointing out the reality of their vulnerabilities. You cannot protect or defend a vulnerable person if you haven't given some thought to how you would do so, in advance.

Does it not go without saying, that those with physical limitations on walking will need special transportation arrangements? That those dependent on addicting substances will have issues that others will not? That those who live in la-la land when it comes to their entitlements, will have to "snap-to" pretty quickly? That children brought up to do as they please may not mind their parents when staying quiet or concealed may mean the difference between life and death? Is it that disrespectful to point out the vulnerable among us?

Or is it just that the easily "offended" and social justice warriors among us would like to keep everything swept under the PC rug, until the 11th hour when it is too late to save some people?

Old 12-11-2016, 04:16 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
ADDITION TO LIST:
[] Ultra rich but ultra helpless / incompetent.

When there is nothing to buy and no one to hire, they will not fare well.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
ADDITION TO LIST:
[] Ultra rich but ultra helpless / incompetent.

When there is nothing to buy and no one to hire, they will not fare well.
Yes, this group tends to have been cultivated by their environment to have a very dependant mentality and isolated from the skills to survive in everyday modern society much less a scenario where even getting a drink of clean water may require several DIY steps.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM

684 posts, read 514,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There is this idea afoot, that stockpiling food and guns is what everyone should do, if they wish to survive a long-term crisis. While it would be better for this country if more people did that, there are four groups of people who might be less likely to survive, no matter what they stockpile:

1) The Disabled, to include the obese, the insulin-dependent diabetics, the oxygen-dependent, those who need dialysis, those with respiratory issues like COPD or heart ailments, frail elderly, and the mobiliity impaired.
Why: To survive, you must be able to move. People should be able to walk at least an hour, if transportation or gasoline availability is compromised.

2) The Government-Dependent, including welfare recipients, SSDI recipients, the poor, some minorities, alcoholics, drug addicts, those dependent upon prescription pain-killers or opiates.
Why: Such people have a dependency mindset, are not independent of their addictions, or are so poor that they have very few options in life. Anyone who riots or loots will likely be taken out.

3) Anti-Gunners, Peace Types, Tree-Huggers. Such people live in a fantasy bubble. Usually urban liberals and women, they are typically in debt, addicted to trendy fashions, totally in denial that the world as they know it could ever change, are very PC, metrosexual, and antithetical to self-sufficiency.
Why: They will just freak out (as many of them did when Trump was unexpectedly elected). They are emotionally immature, unprepared, spoiled, and unable to deal with adverse events that upend their lives.

4) Children, especially undisciplined children, whose parents try to be "friends" with them, allow them to run around and scream, spoil them, and never insist that they obey parental directives.
Why: An undisciplined child, never taught to obey or follow instructions, may find that it costs them their lives. It's something like an untrained dog who runs into the street and gets killed. Children do not understand life-changing events at first,and should depend upon their parents for their safety.

Can you think of any more vulnerable groups of people?
Thats about 95% of Americans right there...that should be enough

Old 12-11-2016, 12:23 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
In most TEOTWAWKI scenarios I often hear it repeated that 'experts' would expect to see a 90% die-off.

Not that everyone would ever die, but that when all municipal services and economic activity stop, after all looters / raiders have killed themselves, roughly 10% would survive.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Thats about 95% of Americans right there...that should be enough
Quote:
In most TEOTWAWKI scenarios I often hear it repeated that 'experts' would expect to see a 90% die-off.
I agree with these numbers, if the event were especially severe.

Otherwise, I would hope that the stronger ones would try to help those more vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness