Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:17 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,637,856 times

Advertisements

Ok, before I get blasted out of the water here w/ folks, does anyone know where or what I refer? Nor, kinda gets it as his TN property fits it but anyone else know the Cumberland Plateau areas, & places that folks use as strategic relocation points should SHTF -- which seems it'll soon do no matter what naysayers claim.

Ok, let the backlash begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,504,000 times
Go to almost dead center TN, not close to the highways but off a little ways. You want a real rural area. Northern folks complain about rednecks down there, but those are some of the nicest ppl I've ever met, in TN. Sure they'll ask you what church you go to ("y'all"), but damn, they sure know how to cook down there! Can drive your pickup with a gun rack in it, all day long.

Have to excuse me as I've lived in New England all my life, and only traveled the rest of the country in my youth. Wife has relatives in the TN area, so that's why we bought there. As remote as our Maine place is, I think if the S really HTF, our TN place would be a better BOL or retreat than Maine. Little more population density in TN, but the southern folks see more eye to eye with us, than Mainers.

If it just wasn't so damned HOT in the summer time.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Go to almost dead center TN, not close to the highways but off a little ways. You want a real rural area. Northern folks complain about rednecks down there, but those are some of the nicest ppl I've ever met, in TN. Sure they'll ask you what church you go to ("y'all"), but damn, they sure know how to cook down there! Can drive your pickup with a gun rack in it, all day long.

Have to excuse me as I've lived in New England all my life, and only traveled the rest of the country in my youth. Wife has relatives in the TN area, so that's why we bought there. As remote as our Maine place is, I think if the S really HTF, our TN place would be a better BOL or retreat than Maine. Little more population density in TN, but the southern folks see more eye to eye with us, than Mainers.

If it just wasn't so damned HOT in the summer time.
Perfect love there, Nor.

Can't say better. I/we went college in WV & we're both from N.east US (my lady from PA & I from NY state as a hockey kid). But in AZ for last decade or so. Thought due to west coast family roots (my sis is in Cali yet but... her sis went to TX now, not my type state but oh well...) it'd work but see it does not. While here the Amer. Redoubt of MT/ID/WY, etc. cropped up as good BOL's if SHTF.

Now tho since we bid on property up there & await word, I'd consider closer to her roots & her family (as I only a sis left as my both parents passed) & thus, to go S.east as they're in FL where my folks were but no longer . I hate FL w/ crime, bugs, heat, etc. She wants nearer her parents & I try to bridge the gap. So S.east looks good near the Cumberland Plateau but this is in my infancy ideas, as last 2 yrs almost focused on readying for move up to the PNW of US. Still got time to mull here in AZ, tho yrs are passing. I think Trump gives reprieve yet for how long...

Ya'll get my drift re what'll happen if the Donald only stays 4 yrs -- & Libs get back in. God Help us if they do... It'll be Iran#2 or worse, Venezuela...

Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
... I think Trump gives reprieve yet for how long...

Ya'll get my drift re what'll happen if the Donald only stays 4 yrs -- & Libs get back in. God Help us if they do... It'll be Iran#2 or worse, Venezuela...
I think we're well on our way to that - the Donald or no. Don't get complacent.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think we're well on our way to that - the Donald or no. Don't get complacent.
Haha, my anxiety disorder won't let me rest. It's better to burn out than fade away... as Rust Never Sleeps...

Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
While not Tennessee, I looked into the Ozarks at land once upon a time. I liked the cheapness of the land and the lack of building codes in some rural counties in southern MO. I think Tennessee has a statewide building code now? Is there any areas around there where you could build an earthbag or strawbale house or whatever with little hassle or is it strictly enforced even in very rural areas?

The Appalachians sure are nice, I just never found anything that fit me there. North Carolina seems crazy developed now compared to when I was a kid.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,598,038 times
Haven't spent enough time in the Ozarks or Appalachians to give a qualified answer, but I have spent some time hunting in Southern Illinois, and it is really fertile ground, and except for tornados, fairly temperate.
I like the parts of Missouri I've visited, (outside of the cities), and the folks would make good neighbors in troubled times.

But again, I'm not looking at the politics because I've never lived there, never paid taxes there, just looking at the natural resources, and for a self sufficient operation, either of those have the potential of easily providing for a family on a small acreage with a lot more water and more temperate climate than what I'm used to.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,742,394 times
One thing all this talk about bugging out has done is to make me refresh/repack bob's. I will admit as to being somewhat complacent on this but it's a good idea I think to re-assess what you're grabbing on the way out the door or even if that's in your plans...

Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Haven't spent enough time in the Ozarks or Appalachians to give a qualified answer, but I have spent some time hunting in Southern Illinois, and it is really fertile ground, and except for tornados, fairly temperate.
I like the parts of Missouri I've visited, (outside of the cities), and the folks would make good neighbors in troubled times.

But again, I'm not looking at the politics because I've never lived there, never paid taxes there, just looking at the natural resources, and for a self sufficient operation, either of those have the potential of easily providing for a family on a small acreage with a lot more water and more temperate climate than what I'm used to.
I agree that it looks like a great place to small scale homestead / grow your own. Lots of water and mild temperatures and it should be easy enough to set up a year round greenhouse there. Lots of the backyard small scale farming type families they feature in the Mother Earth news type magazines seem to come from this area.

BUT you pay for this with hot and humid summers. Ozark summers are downright miserable. It's been a while since I've spent summer time in the Appalachians but unless you were way high up in the mountains, I'd imagine it's pretty brutal in the summer time as well.

Humidity, ticks and chiggers ruined it for me. Ice storms and the occasional tornado isn't exactly a plus either. Also the amount of public land there is minuscule at best compared to out west. This can be a good thing for buying private land, but there's a lot less land to explore without running into private property issues. A lot more developed as well.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,079,456 times
Southern IL does have the natural beauty and resources but the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and the lakes make the humidity unbearble to me. They have many 100+ degree days in the summer with that high humidity. In the spring, it's the flooding, tornadoes and hail storms. In winter, ice and wind storms. It's far enough from Chicago, but not immune to Chicago style politics, and some places are too close to St. Louis. I have relatives living there and would like to live close to them, but those are the reasons I don't. Too many weather related disasters, but many rural areas with small villages and hamlets with good people.

movintime, I have some input for you, but your question is too broad. What kind of land do you want and how do you intend to sustain yourself? The problem is not too few places to choose from, but too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness