Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 09:19 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Years ago I cooked on a Wedgewood gas range with burners like that, but a griddle in the middle rather than a wood firebox. Those little burners in the center were great, but created hot spots even in cast iron. I bought a heat diffuser, and could simmer things on the cook top for days without burning the pot. I still use that flame spreader for simmering things on my wood stove during power outages.

My grandparents had a wood/electric Wedgewood that was great. My grandfather built a fire in it every morning to take the chill off the kitchen. There was also a cook top and oven if the power went out. Does yours have coils for a hot water reservoir? If so, you could hang a tank on the wall, though propane is pretty reliable.
No, neither has coils. We had the old girl fired up (gas) in the shop this summer and fall for canning. I'm surprised on the hot spots. Our POS GE range top has a power burner that in the center has a separate burner. I've noticed as long as you're not on full tilt it works well with heavy cast iron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 05:33 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,522,368 times
I remember my grandfather's house in northern, WI. He had a duel fuel as in the first post. On cold mornings he would light the wood side with newspaper and kindling. He would burn it until mid morning to warm the kitchen. After that the house would be warm enough to let it go out. Gosh I miss that..

Old 01-01-2021, 06:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,699,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No, neither has coils. We had the old girl fired up (gas) in the shop this summer and fall for canning. I'm surprised on the hot spots. Our POS GE range top has a power burner that in the center has a separate burner. I've noticed as long as you're not on full tilt it works well with heavy cast iron.
It looks like the rear burners on yours already have heat diffusers built in. Mine did not.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 300 times
Default I have this same model!

Do you know the model year? We had this in our garage when we moved into our 1946 Craftsman home in Stockton CA. It's been there (for us) since 2013 - probably when they remodeled the home to sell it. It is pretty rusty and missing the top warming tray and salt and pepper shakers but still might make a fun project. At the very least it has all the trays and racks and I can make a backyard firepit out of the parts... the timer still works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yes it's a wood stove/gas stove combo. Wedgewood was a CA company and you can find them out here. The wood/gas combo, in good shape, are a little tough to find. What's amazing is the fact the gas burners have a feature, that with just a 1/4 turn the simmer 'top hot' burner in the center only comes on- talk about precise simmering! Continue to turn the knob then both fire up.

This our second one- slightly wider than the first. This one has a RARELY used wood firebox.

Got that one for a steal but I traveled a fair ways to get it. The original owner said they called the firebox the 'trash burner', lol. These stoves even have gas igniters in the firebox. Talk about easy!

We're going to remodel our kitchen and my wife has to decide which one she wants in the house. The other will stay in my shop for use, and it'll come in handy during canning season.

Last edited by jenniferehinger; 01-18-2021 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness