Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHTF... what's the most likely?
Social Unrest 34 39.53%
Government upheaval/overthrow 8 9.30%
Nuclear attack 1 1.16%
Conventional War/Invasion 0 0%
Pandemic 11 12.79%
Financial Collapse 22 25.58%
Climate 1 1.16%
Aliens 3 3.49%
Poles shift 0 0%
Other 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 01:45 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,857,742 times

Advertisements

I know I can't 'guess' them all, so feel free to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 12:27 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,135,973 times
EMP/cyber attack killing the power for 6 months or more

Tens of millions would perish

Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,129,274 times
Shutdowns...supply lines, power, water etc.. I wouldn't put anything past these childish dick-taters that we call governors and mayors.
If they don't get their way in November, prepare for them to "punish" us!

Old 08-10-2020, 05:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,745,698 times
somethings has to start it..... Financial collapse might be the trigger.....On the other hand. There are already plans in place to shutoff the lights should the unrest get bad enough.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 AM

9,034 posts, read 4,729,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
EMP/cyber attack killing the power for 6 months or more
Tens of millions would perish
While this is certainly my long term concern, I think there may be "issues" before that happens, and those may take us down before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Shutdowns...supply lines, power, water etc.. I wouldn't put anything past these childish dick-taters that we call governors and mayors.
If they don't get their way in November, prepare for them to "punish" us!
I suspect you are right about that, but there are some very powerful people behind all of the current social unrest, and I suspect they can do more damage than the elected officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
somethings has to start it..... Financial collapse might be the trigger.....On the other hand. There are already plans in place to shutoff the lights should the unrest get bad enough.
And you have brought up the shortcoming of the poll.

I think it will be a combination of social unrest, and financial collapse. Each will feed off the other. Social unrest making the financial situation worse, and the financial situation making the social unrest worse.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:35 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,857,742 times
Having worked for an Electric Utility.... EMP is much less of a concern than it was. Fact is, it will affect the end user more than the utility, by an exponential amount.

Most people can't or don't know how to prepare for EMP.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:07 AM

9,034 posts, read 4,729,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Having worked for an Electric Utility.... EMP is much less of a concern than it was. Fact is, it will affect the end user more than the utility, by an exponential amount.

What kind of lines (or transformers or etc) did you work on, and how many years ago?

Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
im not sure emp attack, terror attack or big hurricane but id say the most likely large scale social unrest would come from a large scale power outage. a few days without any power and society pretty much breaks down entirely.

however, if we are talking about a government issue, i would say its most likely through some kind of major false flag terror attack that would allow the government to do whatever it wants in the name of security. so they allow police to do whatever they want and bring in soldiers on american streets. police and soldiers will do whatever they are allowed to get away with and whatever they are instructed to do to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfm7y5nL30

Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,135,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Doubtful. Government has been leaking stories here and there the last few years basically saying country is screwed if we get hit.

Old antiquated power lines all over the country

Old 08-10-2020, 12:15 PM

290 posts, read 213,582 times
Default Pandemics will recur

With China cooking up new viruses (literally) other countries must follow suit. And clearly, the protections were inadequate, which allowed it out of the incubator and throughout the world in a matter of weeks. And I hope I don't sound too paranoid when I say the COVID-19 virus seems custom-designed to target USA. We have been the hardest-hit, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness