Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 07:52 AM

156 posts, read 191,224 times

Advertisements

I live on an isolated piece of raw land where I have to make my own heat, electricity and so on. Some things I have to go to town to get like water and food. But the point is this: My friends think I'm crazy for doing this so I tell them if it doesn't work out, I can just move back to town, get a real job, go into debt for 1/4 million, buy a house in town so I can hear my neighbor's dog bark and start paying for the following bills:

1) gas
2) electric
3) water
4) sewage
5) garbage pu
6) cable: internet, phone & TV
7) ADT home alarm
8) Chemlawn (for the lawn)
9) paper delivery (7 days a week & 2x on Sunday)

What else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 08:15 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,334,638 times
You don't need all these items with a house.

I don't have the following;

1) gas Don't have
2) electric

3) water [color="red"]Don't have and I don't have to go anywhere for my water.
4) sewage Don't have
5) garbage pu
6) cable: internet, phone & TV
7) ADT home alarm Don't have
8) Chemlawn (for the lawn)
9) paper delivery (7 days a week & 2x on Sunday) I haven't had paper delivery for 10 years

I have the potential to make my own electricity so that could go away. The satellite TV can be cancelled at any time so this is just an option.

BTW I don't think you are crazy for living off the grid. All the power to you. Your biggest problem will be your wife if you're with spouse.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:43 AM

23,658 posts, read 70,695,104 times
LOL! Around here in racoon hunting country, the sound of dogs at night is a given. Sound carries. The difference is that the sound is a few hundred or thousand feet away and not under a bedroom window. One learns what they are barking or baying about and when to be concerned and when not.

Your basic premise about leech costs is correct. People often don't realize how those entrap them and keep them from amassing any real money. You left out huge property taxes and assessments for schools (separate in Texas, IIRC). You also left out the difference in auto insurance costs.

You can't convince me that Silicone Valley workers forced to live out of their cars because of leeches and high prices are doing better than a good 'ol boy in a thirty year old trailer with no debts and beer money.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 AM

37,560 posts, read 61,640,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
... You can't convince me that Silicone Valley workers forced to live out of their cars because of leeches and high prices are doing better than a good 'ol boy in a thirty year old trailer with no debts and beer money.
We have new neighbors in our township. A young couple moved here from Silicon Valley, he works 'online' writing smartphone games. Their house has grid power, a drilled well and a leechfield. They heat with wood, and they grow/forage 90% of all their own food.

They have no debt.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,263,982 times
I dont have # 3,4,5,7,8,9. Im about ready to give up Dish Network.

Interesting you have internet.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:42 PM

20,320 posts, read 21,070,057 times
I get the same thing.
Friends/family think we had a stroke or something. They think we are absolutely nuts for living a simple, debt free life. They just don't get it. Or remotely understand it. They're brainwashed robots conditioned to live a certain way, the "only way". It's quite sad actually.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:49 PM

666 posts, read 435,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
9) paper delivery (7 days a week & 2x on Sunday)

What else?
How much paper do you use? Could your writing or note taking be done digitally instead? I cannot imagine somebody using so much paper that they must have it delivered and billed regularly.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 PM

10,413 posts, read 6,996,267 times
Therapist costs...

Old 10-14-2020, 02:54 PM

11,134 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Man, you had a lot more than we did up in the Snowy Mts. of Montana.

Log cabin with a single bed (for 2 of us). It was the size of a bedroom. Outhouse. No electricity: lanterns.

Propane stove with the 5-gallon jugs hauled up on a horse. Wood stove with the trees cut by husband. Walked to a spring for water.

I was the wife, and I loved it. But I was 38. We would walk a mile to the neighbor to see David Letterman.

People were amazed we could do it.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:53 AM

156 posts, read 191,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
How much paper do you use? Could your writing or note taking be done digitally instead? I cannot imagine somebody using so much paper that they must have it delivered and billed regularly.
Newpaper. That's getting to be pretty much a relic anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness