Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 04:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times

Advertisements

Tape them to the inside bottom of the toilet tank. (not the outside, they'll be visible! Inside!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 02:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,282,277 times
I went thru Hurricane Katrina. Lesson learned - always have important documents in sets of three. One at home, one in my private storage facility box, one in my car. It is nice to be able to bug out without worrying about the documents you will need.

Birth certificate or adoption certificate.
Citizenship papers.
Passport.
Social Security card.
Driver's license.
Marriage certificate.
Divorce decree.
Child custody or guardianship papers
Military discharge or military ID
Medical records (immunization, prescription information)
Pet records (medical, vaccination, current photo, ID chip numbers)
Loan documents
Insurance contracts — life, health, home, auto (if possible, include pictures or videos for insurance claims)
Insurance agent’s name and phone number
Real estate deeds or rental/lease agreements
Titles to property (house, car, boat)
Financial statements (retirement, investments, savings)
Will
Living will
Power of attorney
HIPAA documents
Trust
Name change

Sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:51 PM

15,540 posts, read 10,524,428 times
Toilet tanks can sweat causing the tape to fall off.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have several insurance cards in my wallet, including medicare, hospitalization, etc. Is there a danger in this if I lose my wallet or have it stolen?
Way more danger that you will be incapacitated by accident, stroke, heart attack, etc. and you will flunk a "wallet biopsy". That's a sad way to die, if you really have insurance.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:48 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I went thru Hurricane Katrina. Lesson learned - always have important documents in sets of three. One at home, one in my private storage facility box, one in my car. It is nice to be able to bug out without worrying about the documents you will need.

Birth certificate or adoption certificate.
Citizenship papers.
Passport.
Social Security card.
Driver's license.
Marriage certificate.
Divorce decree.
Child custody or guardianship papers
Military discharge or military ID
Medical records (immunization, prescription information)
Pet records (medical, vaccination, current photo, ID chip numbers)
Loan documents
Insurance contracts — life, health, home, auto (if possible, include pictures or videos for insurance claims)
Insurance agent’s name and phone number
Real estate deeds or rental/lease agreements
Titles to property (house, car, boat)
Financial statements (retirement, investments, savings)
Will
Living will
Power of attorney
HIPAA documents
Trust
Name change

Sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Thank you thank you thank you!! I was getting 3 but your list really helps!!

Old 11-23-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Toilet tanks can sweat causing the tape to fall off.
I decided to tape it to a crevice in a multi folding door. Unless they read this, few would think to check in there. I hope. Now all I have to do is tell my husband.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Way more danger that you will be incapacitated by accident, stroke, heart attack, etc. and you will flunk a "wallet biopsy". That's a sad way to die, if you really have insurance.
Not going to worry about that. Besides, nervous as I am about things, I went to police station to see what they do if they find a dead body with no i.d. aside from the officer probably thinking I'm crazy, he wasn't very helpful. I guess with all the drug dealing and latest shootings and stabbings, etc, he has other things on his mind. Or who knows? If I'm dead I won't know about it.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Not going to worry about that. Besides, nervous as I am about things, I went to police station to see what they do if they find a dead body with no i.d. aside from the officer probably thinking I'm crazy, he wasn't very helpful. I guess with all the drug dealing and latest shootings and stabbings, etc, he has other things on his mind. Or who knows? If I'm dead I won't know about it.
Each year, the percentage of John/Jane Does that goes unidentified is decreasing. Modern technology and people's willingness to fork over their most personal information has led to massive systems that can do a fairly good job of identifying remains not to mention the easier whole body ID. Additionally, old dormant personal identifiers are being brought into systems creating an even larger way to figure out who you are, alive or dead.

We all know of IAFIS which uses fingerprints. But many don't realize that common innocent fingerprint readings systems (locks, some phones, access control, etc) also passes information back to sources that include it in IAFIS.

We also all know about CODIS which is DNA. Just like fingerprints, information from commercial sources are routinely incorporated into there systems. Even health related procedures or location provide detailed information and you probably authorized in in one of the may forms you signed.

Now many are not familiar with NDIR which is a national dental identification system. Yep, those dental x-rays you had may have been sent into the registry.

Of curse TATT-C Project is rumored to have expanded to all tattoos on anyone (not just for gangs anymore) including the photo you posted online showing your own artwork. Which brings me to ...

Facial recognition systems are now as common as and BOLO description. Used an airport? In the database! Have a government issued ID with a photo? In the database. Entered a federal facility? In the database! Posted a picture with your online profile? In the database! Visited any building that uses facial recognition? In the database! Used public transportation? In the database! Of course almost half the pictures are not verified which means they think that's you or they know you walked pass a a specific police station at a particular time, but they don't have a match to a verifiable ID source, but your face is there!

So, don't worry too much that they wont know who you are, (especially if you're already in one of the systems), with whole body ID becoming easier and easier, IDing a John/Jane Doe is failty simple.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,509,286 times
Take a photo of your IDs and save them to your mobile phone and/or to the cloud.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Take a photo of your IDs and save them to your mobile phone and/or to the cloud.
That's an idea, but then I'm afraid my phone will be stolen or lost and someone will use the info. Although I do have a type of lock on it because I have to make a diagram to open it up, BUT -- you never know. Yes, it all frightens me. Same with my computer. I do have a code to get into the information when I turn it on, but still...(anyway...) Thanks for your suggestion, though. Now I have a question about my social security card. Do I need my SS card if I remember the number? And how important is keeping it hidden in case it gets lost or stolen? I have a medicare card which I know is fairly secure, but how about the social security card? (The whole thing is not good...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness