Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:42 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

On a day like today, when the high will be around 9 degrees, and the high of the next 7 days here in the Twin Cities will be +4, I am reminded of how fragile my existence is.

This is for those of you who live in particularly harsh climates.

Would you be able to survive, if our power went out for weeks or months in the brutal cold of the middle of Winter?

I am a moderate "prepper", but even I don't know if an EMP went off and our electricity and everything went out in a time like right now (the high for the next week will be 4 degrees above zero) that I would be able to make it.

It's never good to be too dependent on the "system" and these brutally cold days and weeks in Winter always remind me of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 11:12 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
We have a propane fireplace that will keep the house warm enough in a power outage.

I do wish we had both the propane and wood fireplace too.

We have a large propane tank and appreciate how easy and clean the gas fireplace is, but we have a constant supply of free wood on the property, so it would be good to have more options!

Old 02-05-2021, 11:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Woodstove, a propane heater which doesn't need power to run, or a kerosene heater is a good thing to have in cold climates.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:34 AM

118 posts, read 69,175 times
Gas generator.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Off grid solar with generator backups.
1 wood heating stove, 1 wood cookstove. Propane furnace, heater and cook stove with a 500 gallon tank, and 2 small catalytic propane heaters that run on 100 lb tanks.

Well and septic are private on my place as well. Besides stored food, I have a few tons of grass raised premium beef in the pasture and a small flock of chickens that have been laying really well.

I'm set.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:23 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Are there places (on grid) in the US where "power goes out for months" at a time?

Old 02-05-2021, 05:31 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are there places (on grid) in the US where "power goes out for months" at a time?
This society snd government seems to be getting g more snd more dysfunctional. Down the road who knows what one might expect.

Power goes out here in the Twin Cities often in non-Winter months. Some times for days at a time. Rather be prepared than not.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:48 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, it's just a "what if". In some small Alaskan communities if the diesel generator powering the "grid" were to die then they may have to wait a few days for repairs. So, I'd imagine everyone in that situation is prepared for this scenario.

Here in Juneau, AK it's hardly within the realm of possibilities. Our power is supplied by a small local company for this town only. It's hydro with diesel generator backup. If a line goes out they're quick to repair.
Several decades ago outages could last hours. Now they're less common and it's rare for one to last even 1 hour.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I live in NC, so we don't have weeks of super cold temps. I also have a propane fireplace. If the power were to go out for months, it would be quite comfortable here since our temps start warming up by the end of March/beginning of April. My bigger issue would be water since we are on a well and don't have a generator.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:10 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No, it's just a "what if".
Several decades ago outages could last hours. Now they're less common and it's rare for one to last even 1 hour.
That what I thought.
Here in Houston we know disasters and still when the power is out, then at the most just for few hours. And so is just about everywhere in the US.

https://homegenerators.cummins.com/h...typically-last
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness