Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:32 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 336,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Unfortunately, even if everyone was locked in their homes when this thing started, that wouldn't have stopped the virus. And how long would you want everyone locked up? One month, one year, one decade? The only way to stop the virus is to have a viable vaccine that can be used across all possible mutations. Or, as in the Spanish Flu of 1918, everyone gets it, a few million people die and then everyone else gets herd immunity.

And do you think the military is immune to the virus? How about who's going to produce enough MRE's for 330 million people?

As for trashing the economy, that's what exactly would happen if you totally shut down the U.S.
The growing homeless population is a testament to what happens when entire industries are forced to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 07:51 PM

48,716 posts, read 35,244,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
What a completely idiotic, insensitive comparison. Seriously, you are like a Jew who is about to be gassed in a concentration camp? If you really think that, you know NOTHING at all about the Holocaust.

And no one is saying you can't go outside. I go outside all the time. I garden, I shovel snow, I walk, I would jog if I could (still waiting for my knees to heal). So what on earth are you talking about???
Some people.

I find it most infuriating that they are trivializing a historical human atrocity, when they are suffering from an inconvenience.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2021, 11:09 AM

No one is forcing you to stay in your home. No where, during any lockdown in the US has this happened.

Last edited by Yac; 02-15-2021 at 12:39 AM..

Old 02-14-2021, 11:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 9,946,537 times
If I quarantine, I'd have uninterrupted time to get some projects done.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:35 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I got exposed and was quarantined for the usual 14 days. Not too bad for food and entertainments until close to the end of the period. Started getting antsy on day 10. The walls started closing in. Phone calls helped, but you can watch just so many movies and law and order reruns. I have to cleanest toilets in town! It's good to be back.

Any of you went thru this or something similar? Despite all the things I had, I yearned for real, human contact.
Plenty of old people have died alone during covid. It's tough enough to get grandkids or family to visit, with out grandma locked up in her apartment hoping the wednesday shuttle will allow her a trip to the store on day 14. But people love to conform so this is what they get.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
I was quoting jamies long post (which I fully read) suggesting everyone should have been kept indoors and fed MREs thrown into our driveway. I don't think that's very self sufficient at all. Preparedness isn't being at mercy to the government.
So one random person on the internet is your basis? It helps if you quote the person you are responding to.

How about just going with the reality of the situation?

(I'm not going to look back, I have a vague recollection of that post, and I believe he was being sarcastic - might be wrong)

Edit: I looked back (the thread is short). Yeah they were being serious. No, I don't think most people are in favor of that extreme. You CAN stay in your house and not go out if you want.

Heck, we could stay in for months before needed food, including feeding of a 95lb dog. We stocked up when this whole thing started. I don't like shortages of things I WANT ().

Old 02-14-2021, 02:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,294,631 times
I’m sorry, but I cannot imagine shutting down my life the way so many have. True, I have reduced the number of unnecessary trips and when I’m in a store I do wear a mask. I also wash my hands more frequently than I used to. But that’s where it ends. I will not be a prisoner. Say what you want, Covid is indeed serious, but it is NOT the Bubonic plague or leprosy.

It IS however the most overtly politicized illness of all time and the politicians are using Covid to terrorize the citizenry. That millions cannot see this is much more frightening to me than Covid is.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I’m sorry, but I cannot imagine shutting down my life the way so many have. True, I have reduced the number of unnecessary trips and when I’m in a store I do wear a mask. I also wash my hands more frequently than I used to. But that’s where it ends. I will not be a prisoner. Say what you want, Covid is indeed serious, but it is NOT the Bubonic plague or leprosy.

It IS however the most overtly politicized illness of all time and the politicians are using Covid to terrorize the citizenry. That millions cannot see this is much more frightening to me than Covid is.

I don't think there is a large percentage of people who are locked in their house. Most are pretty much doing the same as you.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:22 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,204,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't want to sound like a doomsayer, but I think this disease may have the ability to become a serious endemic health threat, especially for the elderly. If it keeps mutating and they can't keep the vaccines current we could be in big trouble. And we don't know the cumulative effects of being vaccinated multiple times - I'm not sure I want to keep pumping covid antibodies or whatever into my arm every year - IF or when I am ever able to get vaccinated, which doesn't appear to be anytime soon.
This is what worries me about everyone rushing out to get the vaccine. Clearly, a vast majority of people just don't know what it is and are taking the word of the powers that be without fully understanding it. It's not a normal vaccine like the flu shot or any other vaccine we've ever gotten. You're not getting the virus, live or dead, injected into you. You're getting mRNA injected into you. The m stands for messenger, and messenger RNA is created by our bodies to translate DNA information into proteins in our body. Synthetic mRNA can also be used, such as with these vaccines, to overwrite or erase genetic information that's already there.

That's not necessarily a problem in and of itself. But it's important to understand that mRNA technology has never been used for a vaccine before in history. And these ones were rushed through much more quickly than the normal vaccine approval process. Again, not necessarily a problem in and of itself. But I, personally, don't want to be a guinea pig for a new and unproven technology.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:27 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,204,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Exactly right! My goodness, when people around me willingly locked down and then some even started publicly shaming people on social media who dared to go outside, I felt like I had stepped into George Orwell's 1984.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness