Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 08:18 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,024,983 times

Advertisements

I have an old 1950s? era Burpee 7 quart canner that was my old faithful until recently when I assumed the rubber gasket has become compromised. I have replaced it with a new American Standard but i still hate to discard it if it's still functional for large volume canning. I'm wondering if any posters have a line on replacement gaskets for such a unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 02:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,507,792 times
If you look for "Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Forum" you will see a short article about why the old Burpee pressure canners are not safe by today's standards. All parts have been discontinued. She recommends that you discard the old lid for it, and replace with a newer non-pressure lid, then use it as a water bath canner.

We have an older Mirro canner that we have done this with. It makes a great general cooking pot and we also use it for water bath canning. That way you can be both safe and find a good use for an older item that you hate to throw away.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,024,983 times
If that's the case i don't need to replace the lid but simply use it without a gasket and clamp and leave all the vents open---essentially an extremely heavy water bath canner!

Old 02-17-2021, 12:15 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,663,870 times
Lot of the older pressure cookers and canners still fine, just you cant buy gasket (if it takes a gasket, some didnt). You can measure the gasket it needs and look for a substitute. What style gasket did it have. The flat gaskets you can just buy material like silicone sheet and cut your own. The kind that fits in a little groove is harder, you have to find one for something else and coax it. The modern C-type sometimes can find Chinese universal gasket that will fit, they are sold by size on Ebay and Amazon. Sometimes they work, sometimes not thick enough.

I have seen a Burpee canner but not examined it up close. So no idea what the gasket looks like.

Any website that is selling or recommending new wonder pressure cookers with a link do have vested interest in people not keeping older cookers functioning.

Honestly lot of the old cookers/canners are perfectly safe for those with some common sense. The new stuff is made failsafe for those without any common sense. If you have no common sense dont use older machines of any kind, they werent necessarily very forgiving of stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness