Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 10:07 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,132,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
If SHTF, money won't be worth crap. Bullets will be the new gold.
5,000 5.56. Check

4,000 9mm. Check

8,000 22LR. Check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 10:22 PM

10,348 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Quote:
Bullets will be the new gold.
In California, they already are....

It's gotten so bad, that people are trading boolets for certain calibers they can use. Some may acquire boolets just to have something/anything to trade for something they may need.

The "hoops" one has to jump thru, just to buy boolets in Calif is silly, now. There's a whole underground industry for ammo/reloading supplies and the like, now.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:05 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,266,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I keep bees.
We always have jars of the stuff.
I think it would be an extremely valuable commodity.
It’s nutritious and has lots of uses.
The local hospitals even use honey for wound treatment.
Young kids love it and a spoonful will make anything taste better.
Toss some on nuts and grains for a healthy power bar and you will have more energy when you need it.

Ok that’s my pitch and I only want one of your goats for this quart .
Good point. I used to keep bees and we have quite a few jars (non opened) around. Totally tradeable commodity. And honey never goes bad, either.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:16 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,266,652 times
I thought I'd posted a prior response here ....not the one from today.

We keep some cash in the safe, but I believe commodities will be even more important than money if the S really HTF.

Items you can trade. Non perishables. Honey is a very good one. Rice, beans (not in a can), a certain amount of liquor and yes, AMMO. Just in case.....

Old 10-09-2021, 07:38 AM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
Lots of good stuff in this thread.

The most important takeaway is that there is no one right answer. Some people in here might have more stashed away than your net worth. For others, the reverse might be true.

My own methodology revolves around a normal month's expenditures (which, hopefully, is a little less than a month's income). The amount could be $800 or $8000, so let's call that a "unit."

First have one "unit" worth of food on hand.
Then one "unit" worth of cash.
Then one "unit" worth of ammo.
Then one "unit" worth of silver.
(I do not recommend gold, at all.)

If you have more money, and want to secure it against inflation, buy some farm land and lease it to a local farmer.

These are just my recommendations, YMMV.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:53 AM

1,812 posts, read 906,860 times
Quote:
If SHTF, money won't be worth crap. Bullets will be the new gold.
Already got more ammo then I know what to do with. What else you got for trade?

Old 10-09-2021, 08:29 AM

30,203 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
With the social and political world going crazy how much cash would a family of two need to have on hand? I have been keeping $500 to $1,000, but I am thinking I may need more.

Inflation is going crazy. Better to have tradable assets. If things really hit the fan your dollars may be worthless.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:55 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
In California, they already are....

It's gotten so bad, that people are trading boolets for certain calibers they can use. Some may acquire boolets just to have something/anything to trade for something they may need.

The "hoops" one has to jump thru, just to buy boolets in Calif is silly, now. There's a whole underground industry for ammo/reloading supplies and the like, now.
Last month I found a rifle store down South in Massachusetts that had a sale on accessories for my rifle, getting there we passed by a Cabelas that my Dw wanted to stop at. We did and I found a lead melting pot, when I took it to the checkout we were stopped because state law requires that only Mass residents are allowed to buy lead or lead melting equipment, and even then you must fill out a form to go onto a state registry so they can track who has the ability to cast bullets.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,621,339 times
We keep cash on hand. Not necessarily for SHTF (although that's part of it), but its just nice to have on hand instead of running to the ATM as needed. In NJ, there are are a lot of cash only businesses (i.e. our local pizza place, bagel shop, my barber are all cash only).

This thread reminds me of an incident at ATL airport a few years back. I was buying a newspaper and bottle of water from a newsstand, got in line (long line) and realized the line was long because their credit card machine was down. No one had cash and they were waiting for the card terminal to reset. I walked to the kiosk, paid in cash and walked out.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:15 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
In one town near us, they have no internet in that town. But they do have a gas station [which is something that my township is lacking] the gas station can not accept any credit cards. All transactions are cash-only. It does my heart good to see that in operation in 2021.

It is not related to SHTF this is just normal everyday life, in rural Maine. Not every town has grid power or phone lines. Fortunately, they do have pavement.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness