Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 05:29 PM

9,099 posts, read 4,796,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I don't plan on being here in 25 years. I am wanting a way to keep the bugs out. These jars are big pickle jars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You may already have bugs in the items you are storing. So, don't get upset if you see bugs in a year or two. The bugs are edible, and add protein. Something I learned living overseas in third world countries...
True, the bugs (their eggs) are there, in the rice and beans (and a couple other items) when you buy them. What I do, is throw the package in the freezer for 7 days (inside a plastic bag), take it out and let it return to room temperature for a day, then proceed to store it in my bulk storage. The freezing kills off the bugs, the bag and time to return to room temperature prevents our Ozark humidity from wetting the product while it returns to room temp. I have a small freezer, so I have been doing this to about 5lbs of product per week (not every week) for a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 02:42 PM

9,099 posts, read 4,796,754 times
Here is an article on Parbroiled rice (Uncle Ben's, for instance)

https://thesurvivalmom.com/parboiled-rice/
Quote:
When rice is harvested, each grain is inside a hull. That hull is removed and brown rice is the result.

We get white rice when the rice is processed even further by removing the bran.

Parboiled rice is processed completely differently.

The parboiling process occurs when the just-harvested rice is soaked, steamed, and then dried with the hull still on each grain. This allows the grain of rice to absorb the nutrients in the hull and bran and it gives the rice a firmer texture.

Once this has been completed, then the hull is removed. The rice ends up having a pretty light yellow color, although once cooked, the color of the rice is more of a creamy white.
I am currently using rice I bought, just before the pandemic hit, and it seems ok.

Does anyone have any experience with using "parbroiled" rice, more than 5 or so years old?

Old 06-13-2022, 10:21 AM

7,491 posts, read 4,250,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
True, the bugs (their eggs) are there, in the rice and beans (and a couple other items) when you buy them. What I do, is throw the package in the freezer for 7 days (inside a plastic bag), take it out and let it return to room temperature for a day, then proceed to store it in my bulk storage. The freezing kills off the bugs, the bag and time to return to room temperature prevents our Ozark humidity from wetting the product while it returns to room temp. I have a small freezer, so I have been doing this to about 5lbs of product per week (not every week) for a couple years.
When I lived in Texas, I purchased a unusual shaped pasta. The box of pasta must have sat on the supermarket shelf too long. Because, when I cooked it, worms appeared.

Afterwards, I never brought pasta in boxes again. I only purchase it in completely sealed bags. I still freeze pasta for a couple of days to kill off bugs.

The oil in flours ages quickly. I keep flour and any open cornmeal in my refrigerator or freezer (depending on which has more room).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness