Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You can buy rounders and baseball bats in the UK.

Rounders was the game Americans drew upon to create baseball.

Rounders - Wikipedia

Also Cricket bats are popular in most cricketing nations.

There are also a number of other traditional European bat and stick games such as Brännboll, Lapta, Oină, Palant, Pesäpallo, Stoolball etc
I never saw rounders before. They use a one handed billy club, interesting. What is it actually called though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right, but OP didn't mean animals. They don't bang on the door middle of the night..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_5bmY-mQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofp26_oc4CA&t=339s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-9Kd79cXA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 10:45 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Most all these things would be classified as "weapons." This reduces your ability to carry them everywhere. Including Federal Court buildings. State buildings, prisons, etc.

But, there's one that is classified as a "medical device." This classification opens up all doors, even the one's that say "NO WEAPONS."

The device? A cane.

And yes, a cane can make for a formidable weapon, in the hands of a trained person.

Lastly, there IS NO definition of when a person can carry a cane.

Able bodied? Sure.

NFL player? Yup.

MMA fighter? You betcha.

Just something to think about...

EDIT~ I don't know about cane's that shoot .45 cal slugs though...
An elderly man I know has a cane with a detachable long knife/sword hidden inside.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:50 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe citizens in other Western/civilized countries don't have the need for baseball bats or other self defense weapons?
If someone would bang on my door middle of the night, I would be concerned about their well-being, answer the door and offer help. In fact, it happened to me not long time ago. Twice.

Zombie apocalypse... seriously??
Oh come on! You know that real reaction you are supposed to have is to either rack your shot gun or empty your AR. But actually help somebody? Oh no, shot first and ask questions later.

At least according to a large number of participants in these forums.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:54 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Oh come on! You know that real reaction you are supposed to have is to either rack your shot gun or empty your AR. But actually help somebody? Oh no, shot first and ask questions later.

At least according to a large number of participants in these forums.
really, in the middle of a night I'm not opening my front door to anyone and I live in a low crime rural area.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:46 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,068,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
really, in the middle of a night I'm not opening my front door to anyone and I live in a low crime rural area.

Am trying to think of a legitimate reason why I would be knocking on a strangers door at 3AM.
There was an accident, and I left my phone at home is the only one.
And even then I'm leery, as we have 120 firearms in this country for every 100 residents.
So, baseball bats aren't of much use in many scenarios.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
An elderly man I know has a cane with a detachable long knife/sword hidden inside.
Dad had one of those....and a Swagger stick with a heavy head knocker on one end...and a short sword inside. Picked them up on a trip to Kenya.

These days, though, with the people I know who make real fighting swords, for about 4 grand at prices of 10 years ago, I don't know how good those market items would be, of whether the handle would break up in one's hands.

I don't think I got them in the inheritance......but never can tell with the mountain of stuff I got to dig through.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:43 AM

[quote=Sunbiz1;63542247]Am trying to think of a legitimate reason why I would be knocking on a strangers door at 3AM.
/QUOTE]
exactly, anyone knocking on doors at 3am is up to no good.
friend of mine had someone trying to kick his front door in at 5am, I'm glad I left that area over 20 years ago.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:49 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,555,839 times
Quote:
exactly, anyone knocking on doors at 3am is up to no good.
friend of mine had someone trying to kick his front door in at 5am, I'm glad I left that area over 20 years ago.
Or broken down in an area without a cell signal.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Or broken down in an area without a cell signal.
what is someone doing out at 3am anyway??

Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
what is someone doing out at 3am anyway??
Believe or not, the world operates 24/7.

In any event, while my place is rather remote that one particularly has to have need to be there in the first place, I suppose someone could get lost and decide my place is a good one to stop at or decide my gravel way in is just another road since the house can't be seen from the road. Then, just by chance, weave their way through the long and scenic way to the door and not the short and exciting one. Etc, etc, etc..

Things as they are, given my location, it is not likely to be a stranger at my door at 0300 but one of my ranch neighbors. About the only good thing about all that is......they would probably understand if I came to the door with a gun in my hand.

Finally, one other thing. I had the house designed, built with ready lockers at each door for a pistol, a carbine, and a shotgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness