Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 09:51 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,592,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I've never heard of feed grade molasses. So I had to use a search engine.

"What is feed grade molasses?

Feed grade molasses still contains about 44-48% sugars, even though most of the sucrose has been crystallized out. Molasses for animals is often beet-sugar molasses, which is totally unpalatable to humans; this is why only cane-sugar molasses is sold for human consumption (as light, dark or black-strap)"

Human grade molasses is about 75% sugars. So it appears that the feed grade variety is lower in sugars, but not a diet food. I don't know what the remaining sugars are, but I read that fructose causes worse tooth decay than sucrose.
Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 10:17 PM

19,818 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Threerun,
anytime you’re over in my neck of the woods I’ll trade you clams or some dungies for some of that salami.
Sht I’ll even break out the wine.
I really want a smoke hut to do salami and summer sausage.
I may take you up on that sir! I love and miss fresh oysters and crabs!

Old 06-01-2022, 10:49 PM

19,818 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I've never heard of feed grade molasses. So I had to use a search engine.

"What is feed grade molasses?

Feed grade molasses still contains about 44-48% sugars, even though most of the sucrose has been crystallized out. Molasses for animals is often beet-sugar molasses, which is totally unpalatable to humans; this is why only cane-sugar molasses is sold for human consumption (as light, dark or black-strap)"

Human grade molasses is about 75% sugars. So it appears that the feed grade variety is lower in sugars, but not a diet food. I don't know what the remaining sugars are, but I read that fructose causes worse tooth decay than sucrose.
Everything I know about it (which ain't much) is that supplemental feed like 'sweet feed' is primarily used in the months where the field grass proteins suck- usually later in the fall and winter. It's introduced slowly over the leaner months in the fall and winter. My old pal in WV had some cattle and in the spring and early summer (July and early August) there was no need for supplemental feed. The quality of protein and nutrients in the pasture grass was enough. The first cutting of hay was pretty vital too- you wanted as much as that as possible because of the quality of the grass. I helped him hay about 180 acres of pretty lush stuff first cutting and it all went into the barn. The second cutting stayed out he had to supplement with 'sweet feed' and often corn. Dead of winter more so depending on age of the beef etc. It was NOT a finishing feed. His beef were long pasture raised- not finished in a feed lot. When I went over to check on his cattle there was a chart in the barn on how much 'sweet feed' to supplement, as well as barrels of of other things like corn etc..

His beeves were considered grass fed their entire lives, but you do need to supplement, and he did that with sweet feed, corn and other items.

You can find a literal crap ton of info on the nutritional value and when to introduce the feed at what point in an animals stage and condition. Feed companies have it, local extension offices have it.. https://westfeeds.com/types-of-cattle-feed/

You can see most have specific directions- it's a supplement.

https://westernranchsupply.com/produ...country-acres/

Sweet feed was also helpful with goats- especially those bought by middle easterners for their prized recipes. A diet of pasture and sweet feed made my one of neighbors quite a sum of money for the quality of the meat. And it made the stubborn bastards compliant. On the occasions I had to care for them, a coffee can of sweet feed would make them go wherever I wanted them to go, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-01-2022 at 10:58 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 07:55 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,245,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I trust no one and that goes ten fold post SHTF.
It's gonna have to be that way. We think we live in a civilized society (well, I don't anymore) but just wait until its TEOTWAWKI. It's gonna be every man for himself and it's gonna get ugly. I hope to God we never get to that point....

Old 06-02-2022, 07:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,087,229 times
I know a little about sugars.
Sucrose comes from sugar beets it is palatable and used to make kosher coke a cola.
Also isn’t there a thing called “sweet potato pie” that lots of people enjoy?
Not really my thing but I’d say it’s palatable.

I once built a micro system in St. Louis at the Coke plant to supply a Jewish holiday celebration and my tools and I were properly blessed.
I was welding a pipe, I turned around and there he was, the rabbi giving me his blessings.
My friends called me the “Holy Welder” for a long time after that .

Fructose comes from corn and has replaced cane sugar due to price as America’s favorite sweetener.
Cane sugar used to be in coke but was replaced in the early 80’s with hfcs.
Mexico might still use cane sugar in their glass bottled coke but I heard that that has been disappearing due to costs.

In the 80’s every food manufacturer wanted hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) systems.
I made a ton of money building those systems.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:09 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It's gonna have to be that way. We think we live in a civilized society (well, I don't anymore) but just wait until its TEOTWAWKI. It's gonna be every man for himself and it's gonna get ugly. I hope to God we never get to that point....
yes, thats what I think too.
maybe slightly different over here, less population and very few have any skills much less knowledge of how to live WTSHTF.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:47 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,555,839 times
I have a gallon jug in Crosby's in front of me.

"Molasses is made from 100% sugarcane."

1 Tbsp (20 g) has 70 calories.
0 fat.
Total Carbs 16 g, 13 g of it from sugar.
0 g protein.

Editing to add: If I run out of molasses at work (bakery) I would most definitely barter for more.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

In the 80’s every food manufacturer wanted hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) systems.
Just to keep the science straight--

Photosynthesis is green plants produces glucose, a six carbon structure with the carbons attached to each other in a ring. Fructose is the exact same carbons, hydrogens & oxygens, but arranged with 5 carbons in a ring and the 6th hanging off to the side as a tail...The two srtructures freely interchange back and forth, not even needing an enzyme to accomplish the feat.

Most plants just use the glucose form as a building block in making starch or cellulose, lignin, etc. Some plants, notably sugar cane & beets, join one fructose with one glucose to form sucrose. That's a 50:50 mix of glucose & fructose....Corn, OTOH, makes starch that is a 55:45 mix of fructose and glucose-- hence the unfortunatley, inaccurately named "high fructose corn syrup."

When we eat sucrose, we quickly break it into glucose & fructose, and they interchange structure at will. We mostly use the glucose form, but it all gets used up.

Food manufactures like to increase profits by using corn syrup rather than sucrose simply because it's so much more abundant & cheaper, and it tastes the same.

A lot of BS has been published about fructose doing this or that. It makes no sense at all physiologically because fructose & glucose interchange structure so rapidly & frequently in real, living cells.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Whatever because remember........no one lives forever.

So we fight the good fight and go out like heroic good witches which is to say, it may get ugly but I don't need to become evil.

Back to the thing of bartering and such, two things. First, this is probably not the time to abandon waste not, want not......even if the non believers might want to label us with that dreaded H word.

Secondly, is there a feed which can substitute for coffee? Can coffee be bought like feed? How long can coffee last if we just buying it in 50 lb sacks?

Old 06-02-2022, 09:55 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,592,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Whatever because remember........no one lives forever.

So we fight the good fight and go out like heroic good witches which is to say, it may get ugly but I don't need to become evil.

Back to the thing of bartering and such, two things. First, this is probably not the time to abandon waste not, want not......even if the non believers might want to label us with that dreaded H word.

Secondly, is there a feed which can substitute for coffee? Can coffee be bought like feed? How long can coffee last if we just buying it in 50 lb sacks?
Ground coffee goes bad quickly if not stored in a vacuum packed container. Roasted beans too.

BUT, green coffee beans will store for years. So just get the green beans and roast them yourself and grind as needed.
For coffee substitutes, roasted dandelion root or chicory are probably easiest and have some coffee-like flavor even though they're more like a tea and decaffeinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness