Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 01:36 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times

Advertisements

If you don't know the story, 5000 year old wheat was found in Egypt and they planted some seeds and made bread... so the 'story' goes, me? I sincerely doubt that, but 25 years? absolutely. In fact it was common to keep wheat berries in times of plenty to use in times of famine. See Egypt and Joseph in the Bible.

So do y'all keep wheat berries? and a way to mill them? 40 of the 44 essential vitamins and minerals can be found in wheat. Add beans, rice and honey and you can get all you need to live, not to mention it all tastes good. Wheat is getting tough to get and some suppliers are limiting their quantiles.

As far as food goes, I'd add some powdered milk for the youngins' and some easy to grow food and you're probably as good as you can get for a short period of time, 1-3 years. Wheat isn't grown where I am, although in north Florida they grow soft white wheat. Beans and Rice both grow well, but rice is work. Easier to buy in bulk. Beans are easy.

In Florida where I am, native Tomatoes are perennial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28NyPC6KQ5s and and need no special treatment to grow and produce so are sweet potatoes, although sweet potatoes are not native, but will produce all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 05:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,927,227 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellic_acid

This plant hormone can be used to sprout seeds that otherwise wouldn't. A lot of times there are stories about finding seeds that are X years old that sprouted but the stories don't always mention that they wouldn't have sprouted without help. You can buy it on eBay and elsewhere. It doesn't dissolve well and takes some practice and knowledge to dilute and use it properly.

It's useful for seeds too old to germinate, healthy seeds with low germination rates, and in some cases, seeds that don't normally germinate (usually plants that evolved to reproduce via rhizomes, cuttings, runners, etc but still sometimes go to seed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness