Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 09:26 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,619,044 times

Advertisements

Go and buy some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/27L572-Genteq...a-781813059816

(this is not a specific product endorsement or advertisement, you need to get some of things LIKE that)

When TSHTF as you all say, and you come across a sucker rod pump in an oil/gas field and you want some crude or some gas (depending on well) the pump was running once on 3 phase AC. If the pump is the size of a sunoco gas station, this wont help you but if it is small, like 90% in the ANF for example or around my state...you wire the 3 phase motor to 1 phase 240AC using this cap on the 2nd leg and the pump WILL run.

I can supply the schematic to the ones not afraid of a little current. so you goto a farm or field (most fields are 377/408v-ish so beware - this might not work) with your coleman powermate, some 10ga extension cord, a few tools and voila, the motor will run 2/3 power and you can re-prime the well for gas into the house (very common) or run to grab some crude which can be converted to tar and diesel which is another topic.

This is a hack because I got the idea about 20 years ago when I had a CNC machine making company as a client...some of the employees had their own mills at home for side work and they ran the 3 phase drive motors on single phase household just fine.

of course this will work on any industrial motor for some place you want to get running. if you need to step up from the coleman powermate 240v to 408v or something funny, I can detail transformer wiring. (hint, a step DOWN transformer will work in reverse, just beware of the power factor)

I dunno if yall have a thread for the seemingly hard hacks, but ya should.

Next week: "chicken of the tree - can I really eat that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 03:49 PM

6,632 posts, read 13,573,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Next week: "chicken of the tree - can I really eat that?"
Yes. I haven't found any yet this year.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Next topic:

No, not tree rat. I was kidding. aint eating one of them EVER gain. I own a flyrod and live near water. I wont stave unless you found a way to kill all aquatic life in which case humanity dies a year down the road... anyways....

batteries. Ya'll gonna use batteries, rechargeable ones (but in the meantime use all the non-rechargeable ones you can find...)

Lead acid will be the most common. Using more than 1 will be vogue.

So dont create a 'slave'.

The temptation will be to hook up to battery 1 and daisy chain the rest off the back. The result will be one battery taking most of the cycle - and ending its life sooner. and the daisy chains sulfating as they never get replenished fully - its all the fault of some guy named 'Ohm'. the chained batteries become slaves.

You want to practice 'equal length' wiring. there are plenty of diagrams on the web, but its really only hard when you goto 3+ vs just 2.

+ cable to the + post of battery 1. - cable to the - post of battery number 2, and EQUAL length and gauge interconnect cables. (+ to + and - to -) if you can get by with 2 gauge 12 inchers do it. this means that current is more evenly distributed, draw down or replenishment.

This has been tested for decades by the boon docking RV crowd of which I belong. the class c I just sold last fall has 2 10 year old g24DC batteries in it, still working. If you are only using them for low amperage hotel services, the BEST way to recharge is to use multi channel chargers and the interconnects dropped by relays (ask for an amazon part number) on our coach the batteries were also used to start the onan so I had to use a larger manual disconnect to isolate them. charge LA at 10 amps or less over time using genset or solar

You average LA lifetime will be about 7 years - used or not. I got 10 out of those and the new owner still using them. Extending service life, is a goal.

this wiring method differs if you use 6v batteries to make 12v and want to parallel another set.

commercially, like at walmart or rural king, or tractor supply etc, the batteries will be G24, 27, 29 and in some cases 31.

it is best NOT to mix and match group sizes and or types (i.e. DC vs starting)

Next week: I heard a funny noise, what do I do?

Old 06-08-2022, 01:29 PM

6,632 posts, read 13,573,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Next topic:

No, not tree rat. I was kidding. aint eating one of them EVER gain. I own a flyrod and live near water. I wont stave unless you found a way to kill all aquatic life in which case humanity dies a year down the road... anyways....
I wasn't even close. I thought you meant Chicken of the Woods mushrooms.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I wasn't even close. I thought you meant Chicken of the Woods mushrooms.
lol that was good

nope, 'chicken of the tree", "tree rat" - or as they say at the Griswold house at Christmas: "SQUIRREL!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness