Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 07:53 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times

Advertisements

I definitely believe in the concept of a slow apocalypse. It makes perfect sense because in the western countries we have propped up deadbeats with welfare since the 1960's and these deadbeats reproduce at a much faster rate than productive members of society. Honestly I am not sure if the smaller and independent, self sufficient communities can withstand the pressure from the eventual collapse of the larger cultures that surround them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 08:01 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I don't believe anything a Russian says, either they're brainwashed or a gov't lackey, or both.

I rarely watch posted videos, but this one was interesting as I have a Russian friend who still misses the Russian government support system. In the early 1990's, a few of my Polish relatives immigrated here. They expected daycare to be a government benefit like k-12.

A few things the video gets right.

First, all of Europe and Russia has more holidays and paid vacation time.

Second, some European countries and Russia has free college education.

Third, Russia still values Old White Guys. No knocking down all statues. They value their history and culture.

Fourth, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, crime and alcoholism was rampant. Russia has had more than a few bumpy times and survived. It will survive.

I'll add two things to the video's list.

First, In the 1970's, their education was far superior to the US. My middle school Polish cousins could speak Polish, Russian, and English while US middle schools didn't offer any foreign languages. I'm sure Russian/Polish education is still more advanced. As 90% of Russia's population is bilingual. Meanwhile, the US lowering its standards for racial equality.

Second, community gardens. Those soviet apartments are awful like NYC public housing. The big difference is Russians farmed community gardens - basically like Victory Gardens - which continue on to this day. Russians value land, gardens and self sufficiency.

Frankly, I couldn't like/live in Russia. It would be difficult to adjust to their culture. But, you can't discount what they do right and what we fail at.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-02-2023 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-02-2023, 08:12 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
As we descend into the apocalypse, Here's a favorite quote of mine:

"The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are often no longer strong."

Sir Winston Churchill

The sad thing is that we are less just than before, and no longer strong.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:45 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Remember the immortal words of John Robinson!......."Not in my life time!"......and now that I am getting near the end, I believe that, hold on to that dearly.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:19 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
"Rural property is definably a good start, A very good start.
but what about all the other things that go with the modern world? many rural areas are seeing hospitals close, or become severely understaffed, pharmacy's closed or running out of meds.
What happens when you get an infection, or break something and the ER is 60 miles away, with a few hundred people waiting already?
What if the ambulance just doesn't show up after calling them? This is happening already happening in some places."

I've been learning about herbs, creating my own tinctures, learning what things grow naturally on my property that will serve my health needs, like they did for my grandparents 100 years ago. In short, I haven't trusted the for profit healthcare systems for decades, so have not included them in my future plans.

I also know that if the power goes out, my needs are far down the list of important things, so I'm investing in solar and have plans for wind, even on a tiny scale.
100 years ago, a very large number of people with infections died because there were no antibiotics. Death rates from appendicitis were very high as well. Far more people died from tetanus, and there's no natural immunity to it. My Dad had an older brother that died at 20 months from chronic ear infections. Gangrene was far more common.

You may not like for profit medicine or even not for profit medicine, but where are you going to go when you need surgery? Or cancer treatment? Or help with a difficult pregnancy?

Old 04-03-2023, 02:37 PM

229 posts, read 439,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
100 years ago, a very large number of people with infections died because there were no antibiotics. Death rates from appendicitis were very high as well. Far more people died from tetanus, and there's no natural immunity to it. My Dad had an older brother that died at 20 months from chronic ear infections. Gangrene was far more common.

You may not like for profit medicine or even not for profit medicine, but where are you going to go when you need surgery? Or cancer treatment? Or help with a difficult pregnancy?
All true. I've made a choice for me, not the rest of the world.

At 72, pregnancy is far down my list of concerns, but I am capable of assisting with a birth. Cancer treatment? Again, I'm 72, and have seen what cancer treatments did to loved ones. Not on my short list of things I'm making plans for. I'm willing to deal with the wonky hip, and can only cross my fingers that the appendix doesn't suddenly act up a bit.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
can only cross my fingers that the appendix doesn't suddenly act up a bit.
Studies in the last several years have indicated that antibiotics are almost as effective for treating appendicitis as surgery. Of course with surgery, there is no reoccurrence, but subjects in the antibiotic group missed less work than those in the surgery group.

But while they have established that antibiotics are usually effective, I couldn't find if there was any consensus on which ones are best. Because appendicitis is considered an emergency, most studies used the strongest IV antibiotics available administered in a hospital where the patient could be closely watched. Most preppers, even those with antibiotics stockpiled, don't have access to something like that. I did see one reference to augmentin, which is available in oral doses.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:24 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Studies in the last several years have indicated that antibiotics are almost as effective for treating appendicitis as surgery. Of course with surgery, there is no reoccurrence, but subjects in the antibiotic group missed less work than those in the surgery group.

But while they have established that antibiotics are usually effective, I couldn't find if there was any consensus on which ones are best. Because appendicitis is considered an emergency, most studies used the strongest IV antibiotics available administered in a hospital where the patient could be closely watched. Most preppers, even those with antibiotics stockpiled, don't have access to something like that. I did see one reference to augmentin, which is available in oral doses.
When my wife had a perforated appendix, they gave her IV Cipro for 4 days before they did surgery. My Dad's paternal grandfather died of appendicitis in 1897, screaming in pain for several days. It's routine surgery now, but still major.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:38 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
When my wife had a perforated appendix, they gave her IV Cipro for 4 days before they did surgery. My Dad's paternal grandfather died of appendicitis in 1897, screaming in pain for several days. It's routine surgery now, but still major.
My mother's doctor thought her pain was an ovarian issue, it was actually her appendix. Only after her appendix burst, did he realize his mistake. After surgery, she spent two weeks in a hospital. Her wound was kept open to manually drain the peritonitis/infection. Yeah, a very much live threatening situation.

There are many disease that killed our ancestors with their herbs/home remedies. I had a bad chill once which turned into pleurisy - it's infection of the membranes that surround the lungs. It was life-threatening disease without antibiotics. Benjamin Franklin, Francis Scott Key and William Wordsworth all died from pleurisy.

It's not uncommon for a fracture bone to become infected and life threatening without antibiotics. Even those sinus infections can spread to the brain and be a life-threatening condition without antibiotics. Abdominal Hernias from strenuous physical activities can become life-threatening without surgery. We've forgotten how bad things can get.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:52 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My mother's doctor thought her pain was an ovarian issue, it was actually her appendix. Only after her appendix burst, did he realize his mistake. After surgery, she spent two weeks in a hospital. Her wound was kept open to manually drain the peritonitis/infection. Yeah, a very much live threatening situation.

There are many disease that killed our ancestors with their herbs/home remedies. I had a bad chill once which turned into pleurisy - it's infection of the membranes that surround the lungs. It was life-threatening disease without antibiotics. Benjamin Franklin, Francis Scott Key and William Wordsworth all died from pleurisy.

It's not uncommon for a fracture bone to become infected and life threatening without antibiotics. Even those sinus infections can spread to the brain and be a life-threatening condition without antibiotics. Abdominal Hernias from strenuous physical activities can become life-threatening without surgery. We've forgotten how bad things can get.
Sort of, of forgetting how bad things can get, for my monthly trips to this or that doctor has me thinking of "what if?".

Right now, aside from "remember to keep one bullet for yourself", I don't have many answers aside from hunkering down, keep to the shadows, and eat a good diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness