Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 07:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many of you are prepared for the apocalypse we are currently experiencing?

Yes, currently experiencing.

I think the majority of us have been planning for some "Black Swan" or sudden event that triggers the need for us to break into our preps, or bugout. A real Plague, or nuclear war, Zombies, spectacular market crash, etc.

But what if the "Apocalypse" is not sudden, but take years, or even decades to fully manifest?

There is a book called the "Soft Apocalypse" I have not read it, So I'm not clear if it deals with this topic exactly, But I thinks it does.

IMHO we are already there, It's occurring right before our eyes, many cannot, and will not see it.

The Chinese are making deals with other countries to buy oil with the local currencies instead of the US petro dollar. (The petro dollar is essential in allowing us to have this enormous national debt)
The European continent is marching head long into another world war with Russia, and will once again drag the US into it.
The last relevant country in Africa (So. Africa) is in collapse.
Individual freedoms are being eroded everywhere, even so called 1st world nations like France, UK, Israel.

Here in the US things are not much better, Inflation has wiped out decades of savings, and pay increases for most people. The age of easy money will shrivel and die along with the petro dollar.
Homelessness and mental illness are running wild, and not just in major city's. We are divided like never before, In fact I believe we are already in the "warm" part of a civil war, The most fanatical on both sides are already engaging in acts of terrorism, Schools, and public spaces are there current targets. (The Nashville shooter was clearly mentally ill, but also politically motivated)
Our government is desperately buying off the mobs of disenfranchised with stimulus, welfare, and freebees. But that is not sustainable.
Between things like BLM, Antifa, Soro's backed DA's, Trumps arrest, its quite clear the US has dropped in Banana republic territory.

I could go on and on, we all know its happening, all the signs are there.

So how do we prepare for this? A couple of years of canned goods is not going to cut it.
Where would be safe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 10:20 AM

229 posts, read 439,641 times
This is the situation I've been trying to prepare for. I've never planned to bug out, but have been working on digging in, on property than can give a wide swath of sustainability.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
This is the situation I've been trying to prepare for. I've never planned to bug out, but have been working on digging in, on property than can give a wide swath of sustainability.
Rural property is definably a good start, A very good start.
but what about all the other things that go with the modern world? many rural areas are seeing hospitals close, or become severely understaffed, pharmacy's closed or running out of meds.
What happens when you get an infection, or break something and the ER is 60 miles away, with a few hundred people waiting already?
What if the ambulance just doesn't show up after calling them? This is happening already happening in some places.

These are the questions I'm trying to sort out.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:59 PM

229 posts, read 439,641 times
"Rural property is definably a good start, A very good start.
but what about all the other things that go with the modern world? many rural areas are seeing hospitals close, or become severely understaffed, pharmacy's closed or running out of meds.
What happens when you get an infection, or break something and the ER is 60 miles away, with a few hundred people waiting already?
What if the ambulance just doesn't show up after calling them? This is happening already happening in some places."

I've been learning about herbs, creating my own tinctures, learning what things grow naturally on my property that will serve my health needs, like they did for my grandparents 100 years ago. In short, I haven't trusted the for profit healthcare systems for decades, so have not included them in my future plans.

I also know that if the power goes out, my needs are far down the list of important things, so I'm investing in solar and have plans for wind, even on a tiny scale.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:08 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I'm wondering how many of you are prepared for the apocalypse we are currently experiencing?

Yes, currently experiencing.

So how do we prepare for this? A couple of years of canned goods is not going to cut it.

Where would be safe?

Yes, we are frogs sitting in warm water on a stove.

So where would we be safe?

We have to be flexible and make plans based on our priorities.

My first priority is survival of my adult children. My house is their bug-out location. I have bug-out bags with food and clothing here. If my house isn't safe, we'll located to their home cities.

Streaming on PBS, is a show called "Off Grid". It's in Italian with subtitles.

Quote:
Off Grid

Claudio and Silvia Caruana have money, respectability, a 20-year marriage and two children who have never given them trouble. But when Claudio is engulfed in a financial scandal--and the main suspect in his colleague’s murder--the family has no choice but to flee, to save themselves and discover the truth. From Walter Presents, in Italian with English subtitles.
https://weta.org/watch/shows/grid

So Claudio is accused of murder. A guy who claims to be ex-CIA. He helps Claudio's family go off the grid. Except they blindly believe the ex-CIA. He's actually a fraud. Their two spoilt kids can't let go of their past or old friends. Claudio can't let out of the internet. Claudio winds up hurting (or killing) complete strangers. At the end, you'll hated the family.

I thought it was kind of accurate of how a non-prepper family could NOT cope off the grid. Off the grid is more than storing food. A prepper knows how not to fall victim. A prepper knows how to prioritize needs vs. wants.

My extended family (siblings/cousins) did not take covid seriously. They had no supplies (toilet paper, food, masks, etc). In late February 2020, my sister laughed at the idea of preparing for a shutdown. Even today, I'm still whistling in the wind with her. It's like Claudio's family, you can't help them.

Over the last three years, US has been moving based on political affiliations. I did and I hope I made the right choice. If I didn't, I'll move. If the US isn't safe, I'll find some place else. There are no magic balls. We know something bad is coming, but it's unclear what will happen. Just do your best.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
"So how do we prepare for this?"
just as we prepare for anything else.

"A couple of years of canned goods is not going to cut it."
well, we will see about that.

"Where would be safe?'
given the OP's scenerio,
nowhere affordable now.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:26 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
we have been in a slow SHTF event for some time, it is so slow that most people havent even noticed it yet.
now is the time to start preparing if people havent started already, most of the population here will not, they live day to day and hand to mouth, more interested in holidays/vacations than survival.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:17 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Speaking of slow apocalypse -

Interesting contrast - a Russian's ten reasons why he loves being in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR70e_fSQPk

Ten reasons why he loves mother Russia:
10. Free healthcare & free education (indirectly paid for by income taxes paid by employer)
9. Housing and communal services (relatively inexpensive - no homeless crisis)
8. Stability - low natural disaster risk - few or no earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, cyclones, floods, mudslides, tsunamis, etc.
7. Stoic indifference to adversity - long history of worse crap
6. Sense of humor (fun-nee)
5. Service & bureaucracy (duh?)
4. Low taxes and lots of holidays (employers pay the tax, so workers have nothing to fill out or report each year)
3. Internet, cheap and fast (best programmers, too!)
2. Russian culture - arts, music, dance, architecture, movies, etc
1. Diversity - of natural resources, time zones, ethnicities, and wildlife

Does this mean that their slow apocalypse is just another "interesting" day ?

Old 04-02-2023, 02:36 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Speaking of slow apocalypse -

Interesting contrast - a Russian's ten reasons why he loves being in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR70e_fSQPk

Ten reasons why he loves mother Russia:
10. Free healthcare & free education (indirectly paid for by income taxes paid by employer)
9. Housing and communal services (relatively inexpensive - no homeless crisis)
8. Stability - low natural disaster risk - few or no earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, cyclones, floods, mudslides, tsunamis, etc.
7. Stoic indifference to adversity - long history of worse crap
6. Sense of humor (fun-nee)
5. Service & bureaucracy (duh?)
4. Low taxes and lots of holidays (employers pay the tax, so workers have nothing to fill out or report each year)
3. Internet, cheap and fast (best programmers, too!)
2. Russian culture - arts, music, dance, architecture, movies, etc
1. Diversity - of natural resources, time zones, ethnicities, and wildlife

Does this mean that their slow apocalypse is just another "interesting" day ?
I dont believe anything a Russian says, their either brainwashed or a govt lackey, or both.

Old 04-02-2023, 06:44 AM

I've been watching videos from south Africa to try and get an idea of what we might be facing soon, as there apocalypse seems to be speeding up exponentially.
Law and order is falling apart, the police are mostly corrupt, and more likely to arrest you if you harm one of there criminal friends. so wealthier neighborhoods, and towns are hiring private security.
In fact there is more private security than police in SA right now.
So if this situation came to your area, how do you feel about your local police and especially the DA? You can't defend your family while sitting in a jail cell.
I personally trust most of my local police, but none of the DA's.
Moving to and area with Stand your ground laws should probably be high on your list.

It's bad enough that you may have to provide your own security, patrol, man check points, and watch stations. But also know that if you catch some dirtbag, the corrupt cops (that are getting a cut of the loot) will just release him after they turn the corner.
Or worst yet, if you kill, or injure the dirtbag will arrest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness