Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM

146 posts, read 566,784 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I posted a poll asking people whether or not their job is in danger (as far as they can see, of course). While most people think they're OK for now, it turned out quite a few posters are convinced that US economy is coming to an end in the very near future. I'm sceptical (like I indicated in that thread) but let's say hypothetically that they are right. Let's say that within a year or two, almost no one will have a job, the government will go bankrupt and everyone will be for themselves.

So the question to the doom-sayers is: what are *you* doing to prepare?

Many survivalists seem to have the naive notion that if they just buy a ranch in a rural area, grow their own food, have stockpiles of something they can sell and good supply of amo they'll do well. Of course, in the event society collapses the most important thing will be with who you belong. Individualism will fail miserably-- organized violence by old and newly-formed gangs competing for resources will erupt and no one will be able to counter it alone.

So if I believed in the impeding collapse of the country, I'd be very busy looking for friends. Big men, who know how to fight and have experience doing so. The realistic goal would be an ultra-religious group with clearly defined values, strong hierarchy and history of using force to defend itself.

I would stay as far away from cities as possible due to inevitable havoc caused by common criminals as well as the inevitable enviromental disasters. So the well-armed organization of my choosing should be based in a remote and defensible area suitable for agriculture. Rural Utah with its tightly-knit Mormon communities would be one example.

Finally, I would learn useful skills. I'm a software engineer currently and that, if all infrastructure crumbles, will be as useful as being a professor of Ancient Egyptian. The useful skills will be, in this order: people skills, fighting skills, as well as agricultural, hunting and craftmanship skills.

I wouldn't waste time on buying up gold, jewelry, euros or whatever other tantalizing "investment vehicles"-- in a collapsed society things won't be sold, they'll be seized. There's no way I'll be able to keep goodies away from hungry crowds. I'll lose my "investments" with my life. After a collapse, it'd take decades for the concept of "property" to be re-established. The only valuable posession will be people who will stand by you.

...Of course, the above is purely hypothetical as I don't believe that we're having anything but a more or less "normal" recession that will not change the nature of our society fundamentally. Yet it's quite interesting to imagine what would happen if America as a State disappeared leaving 300,000,000 people without any direction. So those of you who think it'll happen-- how are you getting ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,399,799 times
I'm curious-- does this kind of Apocalypse Now fear come with every recession? Because I've been through two now, plus the L.A. riots in 1992, and I don't remember EVER hearing talk about another Great Depression upon us. But it's everywhere you look (and listen) now. I agree that this recession is different and it does seem that the perfect storm is gathering wind, so yes, it may be longer and deeper... but a total collapse? A complete washout of a lifetime of earning and saving?

Does this kind of fear just come with the territory or are we truly in for something three adult generations have never seen?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,565,381 times
I'd buy a gun and probably commit suicide if things got that bad. If there is a complete economic collapse, only a few hardy people will survive; I don't think I'll be one of them.

How about this video? This guy outlines a bunch of awful, doomsday scenarios in an utterly calm, scary voice, but at the end you realize what it's all about - he's selling a book about how to survive! I'm just picturing the hundreds of thousands of morons who will buy this book, thinking that the recommendations in it will somehow magically save them! Unbelievable.

YouTube - Peak Oil Survival : Survive The Long Emergency Energy Crisis

Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,399,799 times
I gotta admit-- all this doom-and-glooming has me thinking about cashing out my retirement plans and living it up on every beach I can think of. If you can't take it with you, might as well enjoy it while you have it. Which, according to all this talk, won't be long. If your bank doesn't collapse taking all your money, your neighbor will conk you unconscious with your last can of soup and steal the jewelry you have hidden in your sock.

I couldn't even bear to be on Survivor, the TV show-- no way I'm living it for real with no prospective million dollar payoff involved.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
Here's my list:

1) Actually own arable land. The cities would be a really bad place to be. Preferably, it would be on an island in the middle of a freshwater lake or on an easily-defendable peninsula of land. In any event, it needs to be near a dependable source of fresh water. Make sure that you have enough people in your colony to share the work and fight off interlopers.

2) Have the seeds and tools to farm. Replacement tools would be good, too.

3) Long-range rifles and lots of ammo. Pistols are fine, but you'd rather be in a position to fight from a distance.

4) Solar and windpower is now surprisingly affordable. Plus, if you don't rely on fossil fuels or wood for warmth and cooking, you don't create a telltale plume of smoke showing everybody where you are.

5) Chickens. Lots of chickens. They eat anything, and they produce eggs which turn into more chickens. And, if you live on a freshwater lake, you can also fish. Avoid cows and pigs for protein sources.

6) A really good HAM radio. Have several CB radios, too. Learn how to use them, too.

7) Learn how to fix engines, gasoline and diesel.

8) Have tradegoods items. At some point, after the initial spate of chaos, you better be making friends with nearby survivors. After all, at some point, somebody's going to get organized and it might as well be you, right?

9) Have a group of skilled individuals in your colony. A couple of doctors and/or dentists. Engineers. Tool and die maker. Agronomist. Veterinarian. Those will also come in handy in the event of #8. After all, if there's a doctor over on the next farm who can look after your kids, the last thing you're going to do is raid it, right?

10) Have metalworking tools and skills.

11) Have a phone directory from the local Mormon church. After all, Mormons are supposed to keep a years' supply of food at all time. Just in case you can't make it to the A&P before the balloon goes up.

12) Actually live in a part of the country where sustainable agriculture is possible. Arizona isn't it. The Midwest and Southeast are probably your best bets.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM

485 posts, read 1,954,912 times
Who'd want to live through that?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,801,971 times
Somebody with a solar powered walk-in freezer could barter for just about anything else they needed.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,954,912 times
Until it broke down.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,466 times
Wow. I just got back from a 10 day ride on my Harley through Ga, Tn, NC, SC, and back to Fl and now you all tell me the USA is coming to an end. Sure am glad I had a good time! Everything seemed normal to me but then I watched as little tv as possible and did not turn on a com****r once.

Well since we all will have to go into survival mode I sure am glad I have been a gun collector for many years. And I guess it was a good thing I don't collect antique guns, only ones I can use. I guess tommorow I will get a big supply of ammo so I am ready. And owning 2 Rottweilers was a good choice also. They let me know if anyone gets close to my house so I will be on alert. And sure am glad I served my country in the military, now I can put that survival training to good use.
Now all I have left to do is sell my stocks, what is left of them, and get my money out of the bank and fill the safe.

This could be fun when you think about it. But what are we going to do if we loose our internet and no more City-Data.com? Good luck everyone I need to get some rest, tommorow I think is going to be a big day! Oh by the way, I saw a 18 month old Rottweiler in the paper, free to good home, probably would not hurt to have another one.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Wow. I just got back from a 10 day ride on my Harley through Ga, Tn, NC, SC, and back to Fl and now you all tell me the USA is coming to an end. Sure am glad I had a good time! Everything seemed normal to me but then I watched as little tv as possible and did not turn on a com****r once.

Well since we all will have to go into survival mode I sure am glad I have been a gun collector for many years. And I guess it was a good thing I don't collect antique guns, only ones I can use. I guess tommorow I will get a big supply of ammo so I am ready. And owning 2 Rottweilers was a good choice also. They let me know if anyone gets close to my house so I will be on alert. And sure am glad I served my country in the military, now I can put that survival training to good use.
Now all I have left to do is sell my stocks, what is left of them, and get my money out of the bank and fill the safe.

This could be fun when you think about it. But what are we going to do if we loose our internet and no more City-Data.com? Good luck everyone I need to get some rest, tommorow I think is going to be a big day!
Wow..sounds like you got all the bases covered except for food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness