Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times

Advertisements

[quote=vec101;7969063]If Obama has his way - it will be a government of increased welfare for the people. Just not so sure where those welfare dollars will come from.

Question:
If you watch the Obama Deception or look at sites on the web, you will see concern about the bill H.R. 1388 Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act. It's been passed by the House and is going to the Senate. I don't get where those opposed to the bill are coming from. It looks like the bill is support for volunteerism and nothing more. If I read it correctly, some things which are allowed for further research may be questionable, but it looks to me like it is encouraging and supporting people helping people.

Your thoughts?[quote]

I haven't read the GIVE bill, only read synopsis' of it. Sounds like servitude to me. Must pay Mother Russia America for the right to live here? I've scoured my Constitution, but I'm unable to find the section that says the Executive or Legislative branch need to dictate law relating to volunteerism. FWIW, the folks where I live (6 full time families, 4 part time) have set up a date to walk the roads up the mountain to pick up trash. No legislation required. We have an elderly farmer who live alone on our mountain. He's actually the only true "local". We all rotate bringing him meals, and ensuring he has warm clothes and chopped wood. We don't need the government to enact anymore programs to "help" s help ourselves. It will cost us million if not billions of dollars, create more government jobs, and in the end be a colossal failure. Just like everyother Federal program.

The Bill that I think poses the greatest threat to all that is written here is HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act... excuse me while I get sick. Here is a link to a well written piece on it, as well as the link to the actual Bill The Final Hour: HR 875: The End Of Organic Farming?

Can anyone else feel the noose tightening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
But what to stock up on...? It's not really a financial collapse that worries me. It's H51N. It's out there right now, and there isn't any vaccine to stop it. Once it is introduced to a population mass, it will spread so fast, there will not be enough hospital beds or medical staff to combat it. Bird Flu: Why Modern Medicine Won̢۪t Save Us by bradford frank the frank group

Best be prepared to spend an extended period of time with contact with society. If you're unable to do that, you're in a world of hum.

Just my .02 though...
I'll take that .02 and give you some change.

Prepare the best you can.

Store the medicines you use - tylenol, acid reducer, pepto pink stuff, aspirin, maintenance medicines that you and anyone in your family is on. you can get a 3-month supply of them all at once, so do that. Add on to that with antibiotic ointment, anti itch cream, allergy medicines, sinus sprays, bandaids, cough medicines and anything you have ever taken or needed inj the past year or two.

Just because the masses come down with H5N1 doesn't mean everyone has to have it. I can give you more specifics if you send me a DM, but am not going to go any further to scare those who never heard anything about all this....

Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
We bought a case of the cure-all my grandmother almost swore by...isopropyl rubbing alcohol...
That great lady rubbed it on almost everything...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
We bought a case of the cure-all my grandmother almost swore by...isopropyl rubbing alcohol...
That great lady rubbed it on almost everything...
That and unscented bleach will go a long way in combating infections and disease.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,044 times
I'm having my daughter make a bunch of homemade sanitary napkins. Useful for all sorts of things!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
That and unscented bleach will go a long way in combating infections and disease.
What about oxyclean? Does it work like bleach?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Many of these old stand-by disenfectants had multiple uses and with that in mind, concentrated storage space.

That post about stocking medicines was right on...aspirin being very important..
What do you do when you run out of perscription heart medicines?
Use a generic supply, off the counter pill that does the same thing!

Anybody have any tips on seed storage?
We have kept bean seeds frozen for over 10 years and had them germinate.

I wonder if taking the country in a 'green direction is a forewarning of the things to come?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM

David, that's a good question about the freezing of seed.

I took my kids to the mall in Bridgeport this Friday. We had to take a shovel back to sears because it was defective ( dang thing gave me splinters first time I used it). I rarely expose my children to consumerism so they don't go to the mall that often. We all needed new shoes and some other things. We did some shoppinig, then went to the Gourmet Cafe to eat and came home. It was a traumatic trip. The kids were overstimulated. On the way home, my friend said to me, maybe the best thing that could happen to us is a collapse. She thinks we've gotten to big for our britches, as my gma would say.

The kids saw easter dresses they wanted at sears. They were $50 each! I buy most of our clothes second hand. I had no idea that they even made kids dresses that cost $50 at sears! They weren't fancy dresses like for a wedding. Just normal kids clothes.

I have all of the foxfire books. Several of the rodale's organic gardening books, and a whole bunch of old mother earth magazines. I'll see what I can find about seed storage. I would think that the bigger the seed, the better it would keep...like corn and beans.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
I'm having my daughter make a bunch of homemade sanitary napkins. Useful for all sorts of things!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM

300 posts, read 819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Anybody have any tips on seed storage?
We have kept bean seeds frozen for over 10 years and had them germinate.
Norway is setting up a "doomsday seed bank (or vault)", might have some valuable research info, i.e.
Inside Norway's ''Doomsday'' Seed Vault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness