Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:36 AM

230 posts, read 115,255 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to sell an item on Craigslist and a buyer wanted to buy from me, but first he wanted me to text him a code to make sure I wasn't a bot. So not realizing this was a scam, I did that. I didn't think texting a couple of numbers to somebody was anything, but then I read that it's so they can get access to your account. So I have contacted customer service a couple of times and it is non-existant. Nobody from Craigslist has even gotten back to me. Now I'm afraid my identity is going to get stolen and Craigslist isn't responding to any my feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:00 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
What numbers did you texted back? How are they going to access your account? Bank account? Hack your phone?
Need more info to properly asses the situation. Scam most likely.
Read this:

https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vi...hp?f=6&t=85110
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comme...ion_code_scam/

Old 12-19-2018, 03:12 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
The Craigslist verification code scam is a malicious scheme used to associate your phone number with the scammer’s Craigslist account. This way, the scammer can verify their account using your phone number and then use their Craigslist account for various activities. The scammer won’t get in trouble for illegal or prohibited activities they conduct on the website; you will. The scammers might also sign up your phone for other third-party services outside of Craigslist.

If you fell for the Craigslist verification code scam and sent a scammer your code contact Craigslist and let them know that someone asked you for your code:

Visit this page: https://craigslist.org/contact

and this:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/phishing

Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
even more dangerously, this scam is being used with banking. Scammer gets your user ID and tries to log in at your bank. After 3 attempts, bank will send code to your phone via text. You have no idea this is going on. Scammer calls you and pretends to be the bank, asks for the code. Now they can reset your password and control your bank account.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Ah. This fills in some gaps about the persistent demand for CL buyers to call or text them, far above the "im on my i phone and to lazy too write mor" tedium.

I never call or text anyone for sale ads anyway; my preference is to get all the basic questions ("Yes, I still effing have it!/Yes, it's still effing available") cleared up in email before wasting time trying to catch some moron while he's driving.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:42 PM

230 posts, read 115,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Craigslist verification code scam is a malicious scheme used to associate your phone number with the scammer’s Craigslist account. This way, the scammer can verify their account using your phone number and then use their Craigslist account for various activities. The scammer won’t get in trouble for illegal or prohibited activities they conduct on the website; you will. The scammers might also sign up your phone for other third-party services outside of Craigslist.

If you fell for the Craigslist verification code scam and sent a scammer your code contact Craigslist and let them know that someone asked you for your code:

Visit this page: https://craigslist.org/contact

and this:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/phishing

Thanks but I have contacted Craigslist through that link three times already and got no response. Is there a number to call?

Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it on your end and if you've reported the scam to the three people who run CL, consider it finished. They can't do anything, if you think about it.

Go around and change your passwords and assign a different phone number, if you have one, to things like bank accounts. That's about as much as you can do.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
CL isn't going to go to bat for anyone! They have disclaimers, they don't well-moderate the posts, etc. - it's a free site! You get what you pay for.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:37 PM

6,882 posts, read 4,884,868 times
Their discussion forums could use more moderation, too. The format is easy to use so I still play there.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,789,310 times
Why don't you just close your craigslist account, and if you still want to list stuff on craigslist, reopen it with different email, or different info?

And people can't steal your identity or break into your bank account with just your name and phone number. Our names and phone numbers are commonly known, commonly available on the internet.

Besides, China already has all our info, including our social security numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products