Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 12:04 PM

533 posts, read 481,360 times

Advertisements

I am researching Air Fryer and one of them comes with Proposition 65 warning.

Cancer is worse than being fat!!!!!!!

Please tell me, what type of Air Fryers that have this warning so I will avoid them.

And please tell what are OTHER health risks of using Air Fryers.

Farberware 3.2 Quart Oil-Less Multi-Functional Air Fryer, Black
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberwar...Black/47042727

WARNINGS:
proposition 65 reasons:Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
While I don't know the specifics of that particular model, chances are that the lead is in the solder used to connect the wiring and various electronic components in the control system. Unless you are planning to take the air fryer apart and eat the electronics, or you have house fire and stay nearby while it burns up, you will not be exposed to lead in any way that will affect you.

We lived in CA in 1986 when that law passed, and unfortunately the way it was written means that just about everything that you would ever buy gets a warning, because abuse of it over a long period of time could result in a risk of cancer. That's basically muddled it down to be ineffective, because people tend to ignore the warnings when they are on almost everything.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
Prop 65 is a JOKE, and everyone knows it.

Warnings are on everything.

Ignore them.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While I don't know the specifics of that particular model, chances are that the lead is in the solder used to connect the wiring and various electronic components in the control system. Unless you are planning to take the air fryer apart and eat the electronics, or you have house fire and stay nearby while it burns up, you will not be exposed to lead in any way that will affect you.

We lived in CA in 1986 when that law passed, and unfortunately the way it was written means that just about everything that you would ever buy gets a warning, because abuse of it over a long period of time could result in a risk of cancer. That's basically muddled it down to be ineffective, because people tend to ignore the warnings when they are on almost everything.
I am very scared of this warning.

What you say makes sense. No wonder people ignore such warnings.

But what do you mean by "because abuse of it over a long period of time could result in a risk of cancer". You mean if people use improperly.

If I purchase Air Fryer, I plan to wash after each use. And I will use ZERO oil!

Air Fryer is for Senior Citizen in poor health and short on time (he would eventually like to use the Air Fryer himself).

Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post

But what do you mean by "because abuse of it over a long period of time could result in a risk of cancer". You mean if people use improperly.

If I purchase Air Fryer, I plan to wash after each use. And I will use ZERO oil!

Air Fryer is for Senior Citizen in poor health and short on time (he would eventually like to use the Air Fryer himself).
Yes, if used improperly, very improperly.

We have a Ninja Foodi, (6.5 quart) and use it often, and we consider it to be very safe. It air fries nicely but also does pressure cooking, roasting, baking, steaming and slow cooking. Look on Youtube and there will be demos on many of the air fryers and combos like this one. We had an Instant Pot before, but it died after about a year, then we decided to change to the Foodi because it does air frying. You can get an air fryer that does nothing else for about $80 but for us the Foodi was worth the $169.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, if used improperly, very improperly.
Wow, you mean like banging and slamming it?

I use appliances gingerly, even "rugged" laptops.

Quote:
We have a Ninja Foodi, (6.5 quart) and use it often, and we consider it to be very safe. It air fries nicely but also does pressure cooking, roasting, baking, steaming and slow cooking. Look on Youtube and there will be demos on many of the air fryers and combos like this one. We had an Instant Pot before, but it died after about a year, then we decided to change to the Foodi because it does air frying. You can get an air fryer that does nothing else for about $80 but for us the Foodi was worth the $169.

Thank you for this advice.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:33 PM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post

Don't worry about that warning. It's found in so many products. IE: air fryers, keyboards, hard drives,
tools, cable modems, can openers, LCD tvs, boots, etc.

Like others said, you'll have no problems if you use it properly.

FYI: You will end up using some oil, not a lot. A nice batch of fries uses less than a 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
While the same size batch would be drowned in a gallon+ of oil at a fast food place.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:18 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
I looked at these a few months ago and never made a decision.

I was looking at stainless steel ones, as aluminum is not good for you. I saw some that seemed to be toaster/fryer combo units.

Would love to know what you come up with!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Don't worry about that warning. It's found in so many products. IE: air fryers, keyboards, hard drives,
tools, cable modems, can openers, LCD tvs, boots, etc.

Like others said, you'll have no problems if you use it properly.

FYI: You will end up using some oil, not a lot. A nice batch of fries uses less than a 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
While the same size batch would be drowned in a gallon+ of oil at a fast food place.
Thank you for your helpful replies.

I guess oil cannot be avoided, only minimized.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I looked at these a few months ago and never made a decision.

I was looking at stainless steel ones, as aluminum is not good for you. I saw some that seemed to be toaster/fryer combo units.

Would love to know what you come up with!

Thank you for this tip, will go with stainless steel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products