Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 09:03 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

I visited my first Piggly Wiggly ever a few months ago even though I live somewhat close to one. I love their deli pork butt for takeout. Really good and reasonably priced for what it is. I had always read about Piggly Wiggly online but they are only in the South.

I will always be a Trader Joe's woman, Fry's Marketplace (Phoenix) and especially STATER BROS. Boy, do I miss Stater Bros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 09:13 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wegmans!!! Thank goodness they finally came to NC! And when I move next year, I'll be deeper into Wegmans territory!

Where I live now, we've got a great convenient assortment of Wegmans, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lowes Food (listed in the order of my preference). We've also got Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but they aren't regional. I have to say, I like Publix, but I don't understand the hype.
I can explain the hype. If you want bright, open, airy stores with friendly customer service and above-average to excellent outer-store departments (bakery, deli, produce, etc.) in NC you have multiple options like that: Publix, Harris Teeter, Wegmans. In Florida, Publix's base, you only have one choice. The other regionals that are or have been there like the Winn-Dixies, Sweetbays, Kash-n-Karrys, Food Lions, Albertsons, etc. pale in comparison there. At that point you may as well shop at Walmart. At least it's cheaper.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:14 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Mentioned in other posts, HEB is about the only thing we miss after moving out of Texas.

North now, Baker's (Kroger) is where we go for the 'serious' shopping.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
On Long Island there is Uncle Giuseppe's. And in Westchester County NY there is DeCicco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3F5Ha4qWik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhQY9uCdH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1xZIPMSMg
Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for. Regional, can be small, another poster said Nugget had 16 stores, wasn't aware of the number, all helpful.

When I lived in St. Louis, there was a smaller supermarket that looked to somewhat approach DeCicco's, called Straub's. 3 locations there, I think. This place warrants a mention on this thread, that said, there's nothing I've seen that looks like it can match this DeCicco market. That place looks off the chain.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:59 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Texas has H-E-B and cult following
H-E-B (once again!) is named top U.S. grocery retailer and is ranked #1 in an annual consumer survey.
It's not "upscale" and prices are very reasonable.

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...mazon-27986899
My brother in Houston has more than once raved about HEB.
I don't think there is a regional fave in Charlotte, we had Earth Fare but Covid killed it.
Recent shopping sent me to LIDL and I'm kinda liking it, better than the ALDI nearby, better stuff on shelves and good prices, good meat department.
Publix is still my main shop.

Woops I forgot a small chain in North Carolina not in my area but found while exploring Blue Ridge--Ingles is the name--very nice.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:48 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
When we lived in Southern California, we also shopped at Bristol Farms, How’s Markets (now closed), Gelson’s and Pavillion’s (part of the Vons & Albertsons group of markets.)

I’ve heard a lot of great comments/feedback about another chain called Stater Brothers (mentioned in this thread), but have never had the opportunity to shop at the store as they were never located close to where we lived.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
The only Demoula’s I remember was in Stoneham, which was out of my shopping area.

Nobody mentioned Star Market or Stop and Shop, which were common in the Boston area in the ‘70s. I liked Star Market best. It was a Jewell company, based in Cambridge, I think. So was Brigham’s ice cream.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:10 PM

34 posts, read 22,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm wracking my brain to see if I can remember seeing this store when I visited San Antonio 6 years ago. A relative lived off of Borgfeld Drive at the time, and I would have passed it quite a few times during the month I was there. At any rate, it does sound like a very nice store!
If you drove into SA you passed one of the nicest HEB’s at Evans on 281 - about 10 minutes south from Borgfeld/281. As to it not being upscale per another post, that HEB as well as the HEB Market at Stone Oak definitely have upscale sections as well as normal grocery store stuff but they were right about good prices. The bakery, floral, and wine sections in both are upscale compared most stores. At Evans there’s also a clothing boutique, Aunt Annie’s Pretzels, fresh sushi station, seasonal decor and upscale home decor sections not to mention, 4+ aisles of pet supplies. Definitely more upscale compared to the “upscale” Harris Teeter store in NC, with sky high prices, but nothing else special by comparison to these 2 stores. NC stores were so disappointing that I honestly almost teared up when I returned to San Antonio and went to the Evans Rd HEB.

Last edited by Submom85; 11-25-2022 at 10:55 PM..

Old 11-26-2022, 06:31 AM

1,864 posts, read 842,234 times
i like publix, just cant afford them. the local is winn dixie, which has gone down hill fast in the last couple years, they are right there with welfare stores now. I notice lately, they dont even remove the card board boxes now

Old 11-26-2022, 08:39 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I live on LI where grocery stores are are very close by,. My go to is stop and shop and occasional ShopRite. They are opening a Wegman's on LI but it will be further east of me. I have been to Uncle G's it's ok. We also have a pat's market with 2 locations on LI one being about 5 minutes from me. I go there for specialty meats and cheeses it's not the type of market for your weekly shopping trip and it's a bit expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products