Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2024, 03:20 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

This is an shift to its strategy that has focused on shipping orders from China and could help it compete more closely with Amazon.
It will benefit sellers, which it said can now “reach millions of new customers” through its platform, but also benefit shoppers, who as a result of the expansion will begin to see more “local options” in the shopping app.
The company said that by storing goods locally it will be able to “significantly shorten” delivery times for customers in the U.S. and Europe who order from merchants in their own region.
Temu and fellow China-based discount shopping app Shein are in the midst of a fierce competition for Western consumers.
Temu is now No. 1 shopping app in America.
The competition between Temu and Shein is already fierce.

I am pretty sure Amazon isn't happy about this move and I am curious about their reaction. Not long ago we thought that nothing could compete with Amazon.

https://www.retailtouchpoints.com/to...ropean-sellers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 03:36 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
I read a similar article in a recent issue of the Economist. Apparently Temu appeals more on the basis of price, and now trying to appeal on shipping times as well.

If I were Amazon I wouldn't be worried just yet. The Amazon distribution network is huge. Will take a huge investment by Temu to even begin to match Amazon.

Will also be hard to budge some of us who have been buying through Amazon for decades. I am closing in on my 1600th Amazon order in 27 years. Now that I live near a distribution center much of what I order arrives within a few hours or the next day. The only time I buy elsewhere is when someone else has a product that Amazon doesn't have, or the price is significantly better ( e.g., Walmart on a few items ).

For me another big factor would be Amazon's drivers deliver to my door, up two flights of stairs, while UPS and Fedex leave the packages in a locker 1100 feet away. I would think that many of us value convenience over a small price break.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:45 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I am hoping for a better price competition now.
Amazon sells identical products, from the same sources for higher prices.

Potential customers should read this:
https://6abc.com/amp/temu-lawsuits-p...reau/14517447/

Last edited by elnina; 03-16-2024 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am hoping for a better price competition now.
Amazon sells identical products, from the same sources for higher prices.

Potential customers should read this:
https://6abc.com/amp/temu-lawsuits-p...reau/14517447/
Just recently learned that some cheap clothes could have lead and other toxic elements in it
Was not much detail provided in the article how lead gets in the fibers; is it part of the fibers; could it be removed by laundering - sounded like it is permanent.

What else we don’t know?

Old 03-17-2024, 02:24 PM

6,095 posts, read 2,717,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is an shift to its strategy that has focused on shipping orders from China and could help it compete more closely with Amazon.
It will benefit sellers, which it said can now “reach millions of new customers” through its platform, but also benefit shoppers, who as a result of the expansion will begin to see more “local options” in the shopping app.
The company said that by storing goods locally it will be able to “significantly shorten” delivery times for customers in the U.S. and Europe who order from merchants in their own region.
Temu and fellow China-based discount shopping app Shein are in the midst of a fierce competition for Western consumers.
Temu is now No. 1 shopping app in America.
The competition between Temu and Shein is already fierce.

I am pretty sure Amazon isn't happy about this move and I am curious about their reaction. Not long ago we thought that nothing could compete with Amazon.

https://www.retailtouchpoints.com/to...ropean-sellers
Amazon hates competition? no surprise there lol good on them for putting these behemoths on notice that there are other choices. I have yet to order anything from Temu just be browsing around but might give them a try.

Amazon might buy them out its just like when Wally bought off jet.com a similar competitor at the time.

Old 03-17-2024, 06:46 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
France has passed a Bill to penalize "fast fashion" products, targetting companies such as Temu, Shein, and etc.

I suspect, the same will follow suit over this side of the pond.
So better stock up fast.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products