Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 07:48 PM

33,412 posts, read 12,714,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm in NV and have never seen one.
Only 13 in the state....

10 in the Las Vegas metro
2 in Reno-Sparks (1 in Reno, 1 in Sparks)
1 in Carson City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:33 PM

12,825 posts, read 15,126,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The moment anyone finds out the very last day or week of opening, please let us know.

I actually plan to stock up preferrably 2 or 3x & plan to be there at opening time on Sun & maybe Mon too or hopefully a week apart if they'll still be open...& maybe @ 2 or even 3 locations.

If there's no word when closing day is, I'll try to keep stocking up weekly until they close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I was told April 19 for one of the stores in Roseville, just outside Sacramento. I was there yesterday and it was very light on inventory and jammed with shoppers. I'd had the same idea as you have but some of the things I wanted were completely cleaned out. I'll try the other store in Roseville on Monday but don't have very high expectations. The closing was covered on our local TV news earlier this week and I expect everyone descended on them the next day.

I wish you luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm sure by Apr 19th, the shelves will be pretty empty. But we don't know how many more truck shipments will be coming either.

Well, I'm planning to be at my nearest location at opening at 7 AM tomorrow (Sun.) & depending on how much is in stock & if I feel like like, I'll go to my 2nd closest location at their 8 AM opening time tomorrow too. The beauty is, I can be at BOTH locations by opening time!

I'll come back & report how it went & I'll try to see if the cashier knows when my location(s') last day/week will be.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:02 PM

33,412 posts, read 12,714,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm sure by Apr 19th, the shelves will be pretty empty. But we don't know how many more truck shipments will be coming either.

Well, I'm planning to be at my nearest location at opening at 7 AM tomorrow (Sun.) & depending on how much is in stock & if I feel like like, I'll go to my 2nd closest location at their 8 AM opening time tomorrow too. The beauty is, I can be at BOTH locations by opening time!

I'll come back & report how it went & I'll try to see if the cashier knows when my location(s') last day/week will be.
The electronics section is probably similar to other 'dollar stores', but I didn't see where it was today until I was already in line to pay for what I was already getting. I didn't want to lose my place in line/go to the back of the line. I may stop by there tomorrow. It isn't out of the way.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:42 AM

Well guys! I went this morning (Sun) at opening & a heads-up: The website said they open at 7, but it was really 8. I was still there early enough to beat the crowd.

As you may know the shopping carts aren't that big, but I filled it pretty much as much as I could...all consumables & edibles. Mostly condiments, juices, milk, eggs, & more soda than I should have gotten, ha! Grand total was still more than I expected to pay...$180.27. I see the 2 pks of toilet tissue was $9.90/ea. Had I known, I wouldn't have gotten that there. I could have gone to Big Lots or Target for that later.

So, I may go at opening time one day next week to my 2nd closest location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The electronics section is probably similar to other 'dollar stores', but I didn't see where it was today until I was already in line to pay for what I was already getting. I didn't want to lose my place in line/go to the back of the line. I may stop by there tomorrow. It isn't out of the way.

Right, I'm pretty familiar w/ the store. Happy shopping!

Old 04-07-2024, 12:36 PM

15,141 posts, read 32,451,905 times
I heard that they raised their prices to make people think they were discounted, since they're going out of business. I stopped shopping there when they raised their prices, and Walmart was cheaper.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,817,453 times
I did get to the second Roseville (Sacramento region) store this morning. Here's what I learned from one of team members of the group that is overseeing the closings:

1. Not all stores are closing at once. The one I mentioned yesterday - the Fairway store for those in my area - will be closing on April 19 as Trader Joe's is taking over that location. That will give Roseville two Trader Joe's so that's good news for those who like TJ's.

2. Ask your individual store staff when they are closing. The store on Douglas where I was this morning will possibly be closing at the end of May - management said they really didn't know exactly when.

The Douglas store was much better stocked than Fairway. Fairway even had some of the display bins and racks removed when I was there on Friday while Douglas was still set up normally. Now it makes sense.

If I learn anything more that might be useful I'll update then.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:01 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,170,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I heard that they raised their prices to make people think they were discounted, since they're going out of business.
I learned that sleazy tactic when I once traveled some distance to a Kmart liquidation sale. "Everything 30-80% off!" read the big ads in the paper. I figured I could at least stock up on some basics, like TP or soap. When I got there the store was mostly gutted, not by shoppers but by Kmart themselves.

All the basic items had been presumably transferred to other stores to sell at regular prices, and what was left was just clearance junk like branded clothing, pool toys, and photo albums that nobody wanted. All the shelf price tags were gone and items were individually priced around 30-80% higher than what they should have cost. LOL.

I think I went home with a few pairs of socks, at regular price.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:15 PM

They're already working on trying to save the Southern CA locations! Oh I certainly hope so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kCxpc9a-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I heard that they raised their prices to make people think they were discounted, since they're going out of business. I stopped shopping there when they raised their prices, and Walmart was cheaper.

Yep, probably so, but when I look at my receipt, things are a good price overall. I got 67 items & most are in the $1.29 - 1.99 range.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:21 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,248,901 times
Yep 99 cent stores, Dollar General, Dollar Tree. It's no just them now. BB&B are closing, Big Lots, Best Buy locations are closing too. Some Macy's stores too.

It is all over the US stores are closing. Some close one location and move most of their goods to another to get by for a while. Many are now going online selling only. Even Walmart stores are now closing but not all.

Even some Drug stores are closing. Well they were competing with mail order Rx and the corner drug store that actually has a trustworthy employee who delivers Rx's. The big chain drug stores do not deliver them for emergency prescriptions and Medicare will not pay for delivery which is why I don't understand why Medicare patients do not look for corner drug stores that deliver and have the patient pay for delivery.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,817,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I learned that sleazy tactic when I once traveled some distance to a Kmart liquidation sale. "Everything 30-80% off!" read the big ads in the paper. I figured I could at least stock up on some basics, like TP or soap. When I got there the store was mostly gutted, not by shoppers but by Kmart themselves.

All the basic items had been presumably transferred to other stores to sell at regular prices, and what was left was just clearance junk like branded clothing, pool toys, and photo albums that nobody wanted. All the shelf price tags were gone and items were individually priced around 30-80% higher than what they should have cost. LOL.

I think I went home with a few pairs of socks, at regular price.
I remember that Kmart debacle. I walked out that day.

I didn't see anything like that at 99 today or Friday. English cucumbers were still .99 each, oranges were still $6.99/10 pounds, juice was the same. Mustard was lower, TP was lower, bar soap was lower, but I didn't see any gouging at all while I was browsing around looking at other items.

Interesting about possibly saving them, or at least the concept, in Southern California. Wish they'd include us Northern Californians in that plan. I can hope maybe they'll go statewide.

I have my doubts about Big Lots future. They are in the adjoining building to the .99 Fairway location here in Roseville. Since TJs is taking over the .99 side of the building, I have a suspicion that TJs might expand into the Big Lots space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products