Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 10:45 AM

23,645 posts, read 70,618,274 times

Advertisements

I know that the uncooked corned beef sold for St. Patrick's Day has gone up in price over the past few years out of proportion to the general rise in meat prices, to the point of it becoming a luxury cut.

After the day had passed, I was able to get a "bargain" discount on one of those packages with a smallish fat cap and not too much liquid, so I decided to find out what the actual cost was.

Package weight 3 pounds even. Cost: $10.63 + Alabama state and county food sales taxes: $.64 = $11.27
Cost per pound: $3.76

Weight after draining the brining liquid but before cooking: 2 pounds 8 ounces.

Cooked sous vide at 155 F for 26 hours with no added ingredients other than the spice packet, refrigerated to let juices stabilize in meat, then drained the liquid from the sous vide bag and re-weighed the meat.

Weight now 1 pound 8 ounces.

Removed the fat cap and sliced

Finished weight 1 pound 5 ounces.

Cost per pound of finished meat:$8.59

Approx. cost of good quality name brand deli corned beef at Publix: $16 per pound.

Approx. cost of top quality New York Deli corned beef: $38 per pound.

Now, I got a cut with an unusually small fat cap and much less brining liquid than I have seen in most packages. The bottom line?

When buying raw corned beef, triple the price, keep that price per pound in mind and walk over to the deli counter and look at prices there for the finished product with no waste.

*Be aware that the cheap deli corned beef is likely trimmings that have been glued together. Real brisket corned beef or pastrami is likely to be more expensive.

Another alternative is to shop at a high-end butcher. I found a nice round primal of corned beef that would have ended up costing less per pound after cooking than the prepacked and discounted mainstream corned beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 12:37 PM

34,152 posts, read 83,206,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I know that the uncooked corned beef sold for St. Patrick's Day has gone up in price over the past few years ...
Corned Beef is a cooking method ... NOT a cut of meat. Same as London Broil.
As to the price per pound for utility grade bottom round vs prime brisket (or flank steak for that matter) ...

Old 05-11-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Corned Beef is a cooking method ... NOT a cut of meat. Same as London Broil.
As to the price per pound for utility grade bottom round vs prime brisket (or flank steak for that matter) ...
No, it is not a cooking method, it is a preservation method, along with all the other salt cures. "Corning" refers to the large grains of salt used in the preservation of the meat. I doubt you could even find "prime" brisket these days, as it is used in so many dishes.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:09 PM

32,997 posts, read 36,525,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, it is not a cooking method, it is a preservation method, along with all the other salt cures. "Corning" refers to the large grains of salt used in the preservation of the meat. I doubt you could even find "prime" brisket these days, as it is used in so many dishes.
One of my threads was closed because you posted some nonsense in it about a chocolate boat.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:21 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,291,572 times
There is also the option of buying a nice chunk of round a couple of weeks before you need it, and brining it yourself. You get good corned beef that way and it keeps the cost down.

You have to have a safe place to brine meat, but you can start with good quality meat. The corned beef from the market tends to be beef that wasn't good for any other purpose and some of it , even after cooking all day, can be tough.

And I suggest round because good brisket is expensive and you would cut a lot of fat off before brining, which makes it even more expensive. Save the brisket for BBQ and use an angus round or rump roast. I've seen them with some acceptable marbling.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:34 AM

130,856 posts, read 12,220,603 times
I used to buy the cheap Cb around Paddys day ( under $2 a pound ) & keep it in the freezer for the winter. Now I just buy the presliced packages at Winco, no fat & already sliced up for a good Reuben.They do shrink a lot when cooked.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is also the option of buying a nice chunk of round a couple of weeks before you need it, and brining it yourself. You get good corned beef that way and it keeps the cost down.

You have to have a safe place to brine meat, but you can start with good quality meat. The corned beef from the market tends to be beef that wasn't good for any other purpose and some of it , even after cooking all day, can be tough.

And I suggest round because good brisket is expensive and you would cut a lot of fat off before brining, which makes it even more expensive. Save the brisket for BBQ and use an angus round or rump roast. I've seen them with some acceptable marbling.
I agree, and your second paragraph makes a lot of sense. I haven't messed around with pink curing salt, but I might need to give it a try. Sous vide isn't hot enough to destroy botulism toxins, so I'd have to cook the more traditional way until I got more confident.

What got me wondering about the whole process was finding some packages of corned beef in the store that had an excess of the pickling brine and fairly small cuts of meat.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:45 AM

34,152 posts, read 83,206,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The corned beef from the market tends to be beef that wasn't good for any other purpose
and some of it, even after cooking all day, can be tough.
That's how it all started. An Irish and Jewish Soul Food cooking method for po' folks.
Coq Au Vin the same.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's how it all started. An Irish and Jewish Soul Food cooking method for po' folks.
Coq Au Vin the same.
Very true!

If the current marketers of corned beef actually priced the stuff closer to the price of the scrap meat they use, rather than inflating the price and adding more brine, I'd be buying it more regularly.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:51 PM

12,098 posts, read 8,494,592 times
You guys crack me up. Nobody thinks of making their own these days.

Discussing her newlywed son and his wife girlfriend said, "Oh, they don't cook. They use the microwave." It's no wonder nobody can afford to eat anymore.

This is not the recipe I use but is one of many online calling for various spices you can chose from to meet your tastes. Easy. Just takes a little experimentation and then you have something of your own.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...e-corned-beef/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products