Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 59,915 times

Advertisements

I am very concerned about the future of Benton as I see it getting absolutely swallowed up by north Bossier in the next 5-10 years. It is a shame that this is going to happen as Benton was a very unique place with a lot of history. My family has a farm on the western side of Benton, so thank God the subdivisions haven't gone there yet, but i'm afraid that it's only a matter of time that they start filling up the area between the Red River and the train tracks on the west side of Benton road. Do any of yall see the development slowing down soon or do you think it will keep on going for years to come? Do you think the development will stay just on the east side of Benton Road or to the west as well? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
Unfortunately for you, I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. If anything it will be picking up. Roads are being widened, more new homes are under construction, more population-sustaining businesses (banks, convenience stores, etc) are being constructed, and apartments are planned. Benton's future as a total suburb is all but chiseled in stone at this point.

I'm no expert here, but I would certainly be surprised if things slowed down in Benton anytime soon.

I spent most of my days up in Benton this past weekend, and from what I saw I can only say that there's no way it's going to slow down soon.

Embrace the change (change can be good,) and once Swan Lake Road is 5-laned all the way to Cypress Lake (this is currently in the works, I assure you) as well as other roads being extended to connect Benton Road and Airline Drive (this is also currently in the works) the traffic will get better. And within 10 years, I personally expect to see the Bossier riverfront parkway extended to I-220 or possibly beyond. The parkway extension to I-220 is already in Bossier's plans and will happen sooner than most people think.

The traffic WILL get better, Benton will continue to grow, and life will go on. Worst-case scenario, you can't handle the growing pains. Fret not, because I personally don't see the growth expanding toward Plain Dealing for decades, if ever... move north a little bit if you can. There's a lot of wide-open land north of Benton.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

Well, "moving north" to Plain Dealing isn't really an option for my family's farm. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-09-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: edited due to personal info

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyingBreed View Post
Well, "moving north" to Plain Dealing isn't really an option for my family's farm. Moderator cut: edit
They're already working to widen Swan Lake Road from I-220 south, and north of I-220 is in the near future I can assure you. I didn't realize they put the Cypress extension to a vote, but it would seem they could exercise Imminent Domain and take what they want. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Moderator cut: edit , but if you look further south at the new River Bluff development, there's proof that people aren't as concerned about waiting for the trains when they want to live down by the river. Personally I think you're correct, Moderator cut: edit

As far as Benton being its own metropolitan area, it's too small to be a metropolitan area and since it's part of Bossier Parish - which is already part of a metropolitan area - I don't believe it can be its own micropolitan area either. Unfortunately nothing can keep Benton from being swallowed up by Bossier City, but you've got a few years I'd say. Moderator cut: edit I think any major growth in the Benton area will stay south of Don Tubbs' new store, then along Airline Drive and Cypress Lake.

The land Moderator cut: edit along Swan Lake Road would be prime, it seems. If you would rather see it be developed, I personally think you'll get your wish in due time. I think the reason the road was turned down, besides simple NIMBYism, is because Swan Lake Road is still 2 lanes. Once it becomes a 5-lane thoroughfare, people won't be as concerned and that kind of a proposal will likely pass.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-09-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: edited out OP's personal info by request

Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM

From my understanding, the voter turnout in that election was very low so people who did turn out were probably people who didn't want any new taxes to finance anything, so that is why the road proposal failed (the one to build a new road from swan lake to cypress lake). I think it will probably be built in the next 3-5 years, but they better hurry before people start building subdivisions that are in the way of the road path. The road will be very advantageous for us as it will double the road frontage going through our place. Moderator cut: edit. I hope the idea of that River Bluff subdivision doesn't catch on! Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-09-2008 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 PM

76 posts, read 507,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. If anything it will be picking up. Roads are being widened, more new homes are under construction, more population-sustaining businesses (banks, convenience stores, etc) are being constructed, and apartments are planned. Benton's future as a total suburb is all but chiseled in stone at this point.

I'm no expert here, but I would certainly be surprised if things slowed down in Benton anytime soon.

I spent most of my days up in Benton this past weekend, and from what I saw I can only say that there's no way it's going to slow down soon.

Embrace the change (change can be good,) and once Swan Lake Road is 5-laned all the way to Cypress Lake (this is currently in the works, I assure you) as well as other roads being extended to connect Benton Road and Airline Drive (this is also currently in the works) the traffic will get better. And within 10 years, I personally expect to see the Bossier riverfront parkway extended to I-220 or possibly beyond. The parkway extension to I-220 is already in Bossier's plans and will happen sooner than most people think.

The traffic WILL get better, Benton will continue to grow, and life will go on. Worst-case scenario, you can't handle the growing pains. Fret not, because I personally don't see the growth expanding toward Plain Dealing for decades, if ever... move north a little bit if you can. There's a lot of wide-open land north of Benton.
I agree with SBCmetro. As things get worse in Shreveport, more people are going to move across the Red and the Benton part of Bossier is the most likely place they are going to end up. You know things are good in Bossier if the major complaint is traffic.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveNOLA View Post
You know things are good in Bossier if the major complaint is traffic.

Good point!

I was in Benton again tonight working. Wow, let me tell you I love how active the cops are in that town. I was out with my camera canvassing the court house property, and for the second weekend in a row, I had a cop come up to find out what I was up to. I was impressed. And since I was working, and bothering no one, he left me to take care of my business.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Yeah unfortunately Benton is a MAJOR speed trap... but us locals know to not go faster than 48 in the 45 and you'll be ok. heh. Sometimes i think the police there are too active... just depends on your perspective i guess.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 47,189 times
If "The Relay Station" gets built, the Town of Benton will try to annex that area. This, I know.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 PM

47 posts, read 182,014 times
Default Why no expanding North to Plain Dealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
...... Fret not, because I personally don't see the growth expanding toward Plain Dealing for decades, if ever...
Why is that, SBCguy? Is it the demographics, crime, locations, statistics, politics, money, what? I'm just curious, and since it seems you live and work in those areas..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City