Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:07 AM

768 posts, read 4,398,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charswillsmom View Post
Okay guys.... I need more help.
I think I mentioned earlier that we would be renting until we got our bearings in S/BC. We will probably have to rent a place sight unseen. We will be there mid-July to visit and then probably rent an apartment over the phone in September so I need help about apartment communities. I think that will be
easier than renting a house sight unseen. Don't you think?

Things to consider...
1) Peace loving family...no late night parties for us. Really, no after 9:00 parties for us. So no big undergrad portion of tenants.
2) Safety is the biggest issue. Not money, not distance. Both of those are important, and will be factors in deciding, but not as important as safety.
3) Tentants are mostly professionals, if possible.

So, all that being said. What can you tell me about...
A- Southfield Apartments-Southfield road. Appears to be about 3 blocks east of Youree Drive.
B- RiverWalk Apartment-Riverwalk road. Roughly in the same area as Southfield apartments. Several blocks east of Youree Drive.
C- Canebrake-Sugarland Drive. Off of Stewart Drive and a little north of East Ridge Country Club.
D- Summit of Shreveport-Roma Drive. One block east of Youree, between Florida and Sand Beach Blvd.
E- Island Park- Several blocks east of Youree Drive.
(I just realized that most of them are in approximately the same location.)
F- The Reserve- Airline Drive. Past Airline Park Estates and Brownlee Estates but not quite to Wemple Road.
G- Cypress Pointe- further north on Airline Drive.
H- LaCrosse Apartments- Crossroads Blvd. Off of Old Minden Road before Interstate 20.

If all these are no-goes...has anyone heard of lived in a place that I may be describing?
Thank ya'll.
The only one on that list that I would say no to would be Southfield. Some people may disagree with me, but I don't like the feel of them so I turned them down for Spring Lake Point when I was living in southeast Shreveport.

The rest of your list is awesome, all of those apartment complexes would be safe and inviting. To add to your list, Stockwell Landing in east Bossier and there are also some new ones next to Barksdale Air Force Base whose name I can't recall. If you can handle the noise of constant B-52 traffic you'd be fine there. Otherwise any of those on your list, plus Stockwell Landing, but minus Southfield... in MY opinion.

By the way Canebrake is actually off Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, behind the Auto Mall. Of all the apartment complexes you listed that complex is by far in the heaviest-traffic area. There is a light at Bert Kouns, but it could be a long one since Bert Kouns is a road that's pretty much bumper-to-bumper 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:37 PM

15 posts, read 80,309 times
How are the mosquitos down there?
I grew up in the middle of rice fields in NE Arkansas and they would almost carry you away at night.
Please tell me it's not like that there.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Hah... I wish I could tell you that, but if you'll recall this area was really bad with West Nile a few years ago. Unfortunately because of the humidity here, the mosquitos are REALLY bad. But that's only if you're outdoors during the summer. I rarely have problems with them, because I try not to go out too much during the hottest part of the year.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Crap...
So you mean they're bad during the day as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Crap...
Mostly when it's been rainy or the humidity is way up, but I think they're out mostly in the evenings. I've been bitten during the day, but it's usually in the evenings when I've had the most problems with them.

Unless you're just outside a lot, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We used to keep a torch lit on our porch that contained citronella oil and we were mostly fine when we'd sit out there in the evenings. This was when we lived in the apartments. Now, owning a home and being constantly on the go, we never make time for the porch anymore so it's not even an issue.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 AM

76 posts, read 508,752 times
Quote:
Crap...
I wouldn't worry about them or West Nile for that matter. Your chances of getting that disease are very slim.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 63,381 times
I have recently looked at most of those apartments on your list, and I would have to agree on the Southfield Apartment...I wouldn't consider those. There are way to many apartments in such a small area, they are crowded & outdated.

The best ones to me, are Canebrake. They are very spacious & well laid out, I really liked them inside!! Plus they are gated and when you turn off Bert Kouns to get to them, they are at the end of the street that turns into a gate where the apartments are located inside. This means there is nothing around them or behind them. There is a canal to one side of them. They are secluded & that made me like them over all the rest of them, just the fact that I felt like my vehicles & property would be completely safe & the apartements are sort of "hidden".

Riverwalk was nice too, but there is a lot of development around there going on, and I decided not to go with them because I didnt know what else would be built around them.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 PM

ALL of the newer, nicer apartment complexes in the cities are either in or near heavy shopping/residential districts. Because of this, the last thing I would consider when looking for an apartment is how secluded or hidden it seems. If that kind of thing appeals to you, don't move into any of these newer complexes because they will all be surrounded by new development within the next 5-10 years... you can count on that.

The Canebrake complex is somewhat secluded right now, but I promise you that's very temporary... possibly even more temporary than your planned stay in those apartments. With the 3132 freeway extension about 1/4-mile down the road from there nearing completion and all the projects on the books for that area, do not move there wanting to be somewhat removed from all the development because it will eventually be all around.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Unhappy Trouble....OK, not really trouble but confusion...help

Okay...now the hubby is interviewing in Columbia, MO. I'm from NE Arkansas so it's not awful, but I've done tons of research on Shreveport and was starting to feel like I could make it my home. Now, I have all this new information coming at me about Columbia and I'm starting to second guess Shreveport. Bottom line is salary is going to be approximately the same and cost of living is tons cheaper in MO. Also, as far as the kiddies are concerned, well, the schools (public) are much better. Maybe not as good as the magnet schools, but what if (not likely) my brilliant kids don't test into them. I'm sure that would never happen, but what if? The point I'm making is this-I'm starting to think that maybe little, bittie Columbia, pop. 80,000, might be a better choice for my family. I seriously do worry about the crime and I like the idea of living where it's not as big of an issue as it is in Shreveport. I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I've heard some wonderful things about Shreveport but is it worth all the BS if you've got other options? I don't mean that rude. I'm just trying to help plan my family's entire life. I'd love to hear what peole think.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 AM

Well, it's up to you ultimately but you have to keep in mind that crime is everywhere. You can't live inside a bubble, you have to get out and enjoy your life. The only times I've ever been victimized living here is when I brought it on myself. I grew up in a bad neighborhood and wasn't afraid of anyone or anything, hence I often brought trouble on myself.

I have worked in one of Shreveport's worst neighborhoods for many years now and have never experienced anything beyond watching the police chase someone nearby on foot. Never has my life been put in danger while I've worked in this neighborhood and I have no reservations about going to lunch at the establishments deep inside this neighborhood.

Columbia, MO is a very nice place... that I have to agree with. And the schools there are probably great. However the magnet program in Caddo Parish isn't extremely difficult to get into. It's a program that rewards good kids, basically, keeping them out of the inner-city public schools.

Besides, living in Bossier is like living in a completely different world from Shreveport. While Bossier is much smaller and more congested in many areas (a lot of people living in a small area) it's a much nicer city to live in. The school system there is very nice, crime is extremely low, homicides are almost non-existant, I could go on and on. But ultimately the decision is yours and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City