Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 83,696 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a move to the Sioux Falls area around April of next year. The main reason I want to do so is because it appears that houses are very affordable (would be buying, not renting).

The thing is, I'm presently in Missouri and this makes it difficult to house hunt. The Remax and Argus Leader websites have a good selection of houses but I would be interested in looking at "for sale by owner" homes too.

Do I stand a chance of finding a single-family house in Sioux Falls for $75000 or less that's actually worth buying (i.e. not a fixer-upper)? Not wanting a condo, more like a "bachelor pad".

What are the disadvantages to living in Sioux Falls? Working would not be an issue for me right away, because I will be taking online classes for at least 3 years.

Also, which parts of Sioux Falls, if any, are the "ghetto" areas? I'd hate to end up buying a house only to find out afterwards that the neighborhood is less then desirable.

Thanks!
- Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,462,342 times
Have you tried Realtor.com? It gives a pretty good description and often pics of the homes that you're looking at. Real estate in the entire state used to be very cheap compared to most places, but Sioux Falls has been booming since the 70s. Housing has gone up dramatically there. One of the things that you need to be aware of is the fact that an area of the city floods during heavy rains. I don't mean devastating, deadly flooding, but it's sure enough to make a mess of your house. Now for the positive things about Sioux Falls. Like I said, their economy is booming. The crime rate is low compared to a lot of cities. The people are friendly. They have beautiful parks, check out Falls Park or Terrace Park. They even have a bit of culture. I don't know if you've ever lived in SD, but we do get VERY cold and snowy winters here. Have you checked out the detailed profile of Sioux Falls? There is so much info on there. Wish I could help you a bit more, but about the only time we go to Sx. FAlls anymore is to go to the airport. Good luck to you.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:53 PM

Oh yes, they also have a lot of good churches and good schools and their hospitals are very good.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 AM

Hi

thanks for the reply.

Which parts of the town are the 'big flooders'? Is it a certain area or is it just in random places througout the city?

I have tried realtor.com but I have been using remax.com because I seem to be seeing more pictures of these houses on remax.com

So which parts of SF are the "poor" areas? And is it possible to find a single-family house in excellent shape for $75000?

Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
You won't be able to find a nice home for $75,000 in Sioux Falls proper. Some of the outlying towns will have homes for less then that but they are going to be towns of 200 people or similar.

Sioux Falls is a great town, the biggest small town you will ever live in, but it isn't cheep. The property taxes are high but there is no state income tax so it ends up being a wash for the most part.

We lived in Sioux Falls several years ago and a starter home then went for $80,000+.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 AM

are there any "bad parts" of town that one probably shouldn't consider when finding the right neighborhood? I have looked at a bunch of sub-$100,000 homes through the internet, but cannot tell if they are in low-income spots or not.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flwsoldier
are there any "bad parts" of town that one probably shouldn't consider when finding the right neighborhood? I have looked at a bunch of sub-$100,000 homes through the internet, but cannot tell if they are in low-income spots or not.

There are plenty of bad spots in town. I just looked a the houses under $75,000 and while some of them are going to be ok houses you might find the house next door to be a total dump. Many of those houses listed are going to be surrounded by rentals, many of which aren't going to be kept up very well. For a rough outline, any 3 digit address under say $80,000 isn't going to be a great neighborhood. If you can find something with an address of say 4000 and above, you will find an ok neighborhood, nothing great, but safer, but chances are a house for that price in those areas is going to need a LOT of work.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:44 AM

thanks for the help, golfgal.

I am going to be searching for houses for sale by owner as well, leaving all of my options open!

If mortgage rates go up, I will attempt to pay for a house in full with cash, and for the home seller that needs to get out in a hurry, this will work to my advantage if the home is a good deal.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 46,968 times
Hi flwsoldier.

golfgal is right about finding a nice house for $75,000 and the house next door being a dump. The city is actually very clean. The north & northwest end of SF are the oldest so these tend to be the poorer - not necessarily - "bad" parts of town. Crime here is realtively low, however, would caution against buying close to downtown area. I grew up in SF and there are few places that I would not venture out alone at nite and this is one area. My 20yr/old daughter just rented an apt in this area and there is alot of people hanging out on the corners. Noisy partying, etc. She does not go out at nite unless absolutely necessary.

Since all the natural disasters in the last few yrs, the cost of new const homes has increased while established homes are staying steady. My son just got married and is selling a nice 2bd/2bth home with lg dbl garage in a nice area if you want to come earlier. Not sure of the exact selling price but approx $121,000.

There actually is quite abit of diversity and culture in SF. My favorite is the jazzfest every July - great music and it's Free!

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Sx. Falls

Dave/Linda~are they done with the Phillips to the Falls project yet? We were there over the 4th and there was a lot of construction going on there yet. I couldn't believe how beautiful Phillips Ave. was the way it's all redone with flowers planted all over. They even had a little waterfall. It's just gorgeous!! Will it being a walking trail and if so, how far would the walk be? All I remember is a lot of controversy about it being done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: