Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:21 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,552,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux Flay View Post
IT DIDN'T EMBARRASS YOU TO WRITE THIS?! If you don't realize how awful this sounded *obvious racism* someone REALLY should tell you! It seriously left me speechless.
Give me a break, that isn't racism. You should be ashamed for dropping a racism card when it isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 19,472 times
Default you're gonna love it

A lot of "foreigners" from Africa and Asia are moving into the region because of persecution in their homelands. That's why most of the African "foreigners" are here. They are sponsored by organizations like Lutheran Social Services and are brought here so that they don't have to worry about being raped and having their houses burnt down. There are a lot of Bosnians here for the same reason. Don't worry, though; they can all speak English. And they do an excellent job of cutting your meat. You're going to want to watch out for our Native American community. Turns out they're not too keen on foreigners either.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,528,543 times
Fuad, I can understand the concern the natives have over foreigners.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,944,109 times
Default Sioux Falls is mostly good with a few disadvantages

Sioux Falls has a very progressive economy and is a reasonably-priced area to live in. Most of the people are friendly. The town is easy to navigate through with minor exceptions. There are a number of smaller towns around Sioux Falls that are good places to live and raise a family. Sioux Falls has a variety of restaurants and shopping. With the continued growth, the variety will get even better. I forsee the area to continue to progress.

The area has a lot of moderates and conservatives and a few liberals. There is a good mixture of people, which is good and keeps things balanced.

The disadvantages include: traffic (people drive slow and inconsistent traffic flow at times), housing prices are bit higher than what they should be (not as bad as Minneapolis/St. Paul and in other parts of the nation), the winters (some are icy, some can be snowy, some cold, but some can be decent), and humidity in the summer (can be annoying but is not as bad as the South or other areas in the Midwest).

Overall, Sioux Falls is a great place.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,528,543 times
Chris, you're right. Sx. Falls is a nice town and it's so neat and not rundown like some cities are. We just love the Phillips to the Falls area. Their unemployment rate is now down to 2.3% so the economy is good. Oh, but I personally wish we had MORE humidity and a lot less cold.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM

28 posts, read 109,208 times
I grew up in Sioux Falls, and I have to say that you couldn't find a safer place to raise your kids while still living in a place with plenty of amenities close by.

1) Well, first off, your kids will be bored when they're teenagers. That can be good though... If you want to sightsee, you have a multitude of places around the area, but you're going to have to drive to see them, though not far. Sioux Falls is somewhat flat, but if you've been to FL or louisiana, you won't think so...

2) 60 languages? After living in the SF area for 10+ years, I heard spanish spoken maybe 5 times. I've seen an occasional haitian family, but you can bet that the area is at least 95% american, and probably even 90% caucasian.

3) I've never heard of anyone having even the slightest reaction to pesticides here. I don't know what they spray in CA, but I have heard that there is a phobia about anything not 100% natural in that state. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Pesticides are very commonly used, as are herbicides. But they seem to be very mild, because I've experienced neither sight nor sound of anyone complaining.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,750,120 times
Most mid-sized midwestern towns are like Sioux Falls. There is nothing to do, people drive slow because they are usually from some neighboring farm town, and everyone has guns and loves bands like Hinder and Nickelback.

Yet, they are the best places to raise a family and they tend to have somewhat of a diverse culture -or at least they try. Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Fargo, Grand Island, Kearney, and even Cheyenne are places I would love to come back to to raise a family, because I will know that my kids will be safe and that they will know just about everyone. I loved growing up in Rapid City because I knew all of my class and I wasn't just another face in the crowd. People who raise kids in big cities tend to lose control of them or they become hedonistic people. Small towns have disadvantages too because everyone becomes an alcoholic!!

Mid-sized, midwestern towns got it goin' on!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls